Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gas strikes again!

webe123

Gotta lay off those burritos! (HE! HE!) Just kidding. I got a pretty good deal on a cheaper version of a Gibson Les Paul. The one I have won is called a Gibson "the paul" SL. (SL stands for SANS LACQUER) Here is some info on these guitars.

http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/1998/Sep10a.html

It is a cheaper version, but I don't care! I sold a 1996 Gibson les paul studio I had, to pay for the PRS Mcarty soapbar I now have and have missed the tones of a les paul since then. Don't get me wriong, I would not part with my McSoapie, but this adds something different to my collection. The best part was the price! I actually could not believe that I got one for $398.99!! I have paid more than that for epiphone les pauls. So I guess you could say I am a happy camper.

Here is the link to the ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=3732299649&rd=1

Going by the serial number, it is a 1998 model.

The funniest thing was that I only won by $4.99!!

The guy closest to beating me bid $394.00!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cool:

I've heard of "The Paul" before, but can't find it on Gibson's site. Have they stopped making this model? Where can I find out more about it?

The GAS is just terrible :D I have to sell my Raven soon to buy an LP (or clone) of some kind :love:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cool:

I've heard of "The Paul" before, but can't find it on Gibson's site. Have they stopped making this model? Where can I find out more about it?

The GAS is just terrible :D I have to sell my Raven soon to buy an LP (or clone) of some kind :love:

Thanks dave for the compliment! Yes, they stopped making this model in 98 or 99? (can't remember) But this is not the original "the Paul" guitar that they came out with in the 70s....they have some of those on ebay. You can just type in "gibson the paul"(without the quotes) in the ebay search engine and it will bring up a list of Gibson Les Paul "the paul" guitars on ebay. The 70s models look ilke walnut and have the selection switch near the bottom of the body as opposed to the top. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33040&item=3733655568&rd=1

But I did notice that they have a BLACK Gibson "the paul" SL and it has $255.00 with 1 day and 2 hours left.

They are usually going for less than a Gibson les paul studio is and they are american made.

here is the URL for the les paul like I have a Gibson "the paul" SL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=3733189449&rd=1

I've had a couple of "The Paul" guitars over the years. One was a mahogany body (they were usually walnut, but mahogany was also available in the first series as well), and the second was a burnt orange painted one - i THINK they did make some finished ones later on - they must have - the orange one I had definitely looked like a factory finish.

A friend of mine saw my old mahogany "The Paul" at a Orange County shop a few months back - he recognized it by the different shade to the wood in a spot where I had originally put a unusual shaped sticker (hey, I was young and dumb). The thing is, I had traded the guitar in on something else at a store about twenty years ago...

They're cool little guitars - congrats on the purchase. :cool:

I was lookin' on ebay and noticed somethining.

Are all the "new" "The Paul"'s P-90's while the "vintage" ones are HB's?

Dave

Basically, that is correct. But I think the new ones that have hunbuckers are calling themselves the Les Paul special model, which I am not sure on the differences between the construction. Also the les paul junior models are the newer ones with the P-90s I believe. Are you thinking of going the new route??

Not sure :confused:

I played a Gibson SG Faded Special unplugged and it felt and played nicely.

Now I have heard on this and other guitar boards, that people that played the SG faded model, were very impressed with the sound they got. They said they were not as impressed by the faded les pauls, though. Anyway, play a bunch and see what suits you best! For the price those faded SGs have on them, you really can't go wrong. Are you only interested in american made? I have heard that Agile builds some nice les paul models.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, congrats! That's a great deal. Glad for ya!

I hope it really does it for ya!

Thanks dude! I hope so too! Of course when you buy like this you take your chances, but from what people have said that have owned one, it seems a pretty safe investment. Espically for the price. I like the fact that it is going to weigh less than a regular les paul, which is welcome news for me.

When you get it, you figure out what it's strongest points are- what it's personality in sound and feel is- and work towards them with set-up adjustments, string type and gauge, and any future hardware and electronics mods and/or replacements you might dream up. Let it be a shining example of whatever it is, so's t'speak!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

When you get it, you figure out what it's strongest points are- what it's personality in sound and feel is- and work towards them with set-up adjustments, string type and gauge, and any future hardware and electronics mods and/or replacements you might dream up. Let it be a shining example of whatever it is, so's t'speak!

Sounds like a plan! Thanks. I may just play it and it will be just fine, but then again, I might decide on switching out pickups....you never know. I guess I will just have to wait until it gets here and decide then. I will post a tone report for you guys when I get it in.

Archived