Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone own a Gretsch?

Phait

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if they make southpaw models, but they might.

They have a great sound. The new ones are all Japanese made. I remember when the old ones were a dime a dozen, my buddy Charlie had two of 'em. He could probably kick himself for selling 'em. I've heard the wiring in older models tends to decay, and that's the most common problem. Check on eBay if you want an older one.

They're not cheap.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Yep, I gots one.

Its an almost brand new Gretsch Country Club. Very sweet acoustic sound. This guitar has fake F-holes. They're really just painted onto the body to make you think they're real. Its got gold Grovers, a Bigsby....man its got the works.

Its really a well-constructed guitar. A very big well-constructed guitar :) . The neck is extremely playable and the action feels totally awesome. There's something about Gretsch guitars that just attract you to them...they're alot different then your Strat and Les Paul.

BTW,I picked it up for a Buy-It-Now price of $1,400 on eBay, about 3 minutes after it was listed. If I had waited the 6 days he wanted, it would have been up to $1,800.

I'm prolly gonna have to sell it. :(

I've played a mid-sixties Tennessean since 1981. Here are some suggestions:

1) Make sure you get a model with a Bigsby. Not much use in having a Gretsch without one (IMHO). :D

2) Avoid Hi-lo Tron Pick-ups. They are DOGS. :( (I've adapted to the ones on my Tennessean over the years). ;)

3) Get a model that has a hard mounted compensating bridge (like the Elliot Easton model or the new Electromatic line). The old style floating bar and roller bridges on most of the older models are very easy to knock out of tune and are not that great with string gauges lighter than .011s.

4) Gretsches are great guitars and very versatile if you take the time to get used to them. I like their necks, which tend to be on the chunky side (at least on the hollow body models).

Go play a few and let us know what you thnk and if you decide to get one! :thu:

BTW - Gretsch does currently make lefties. However, I did see Dave Wakeling play an upside down Tennessean once with General Public back in the mid-eighties. I wouldn't advise taking that approach since you can order a lefty if you can't find one at a shop.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I have a friend that has a solid body Gretsh I'm lusting after. Unfortunately I don't remember the model number but it's fairly old.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Phait:

Lefties typically cost more though.

What'n the hell is a Bigsby?

The most important part of the guitar! :D

http://www.gretsch.com/newsletter/images/bigsby/bigs.jpg

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I have a '63 Gretsch Corvette. It is a lower-end Mahogany solid body model. It has 2 FilterTrons and a Burns vibrato. The neck is chunky but OK. The thing is; this thing sounds COOL. I don't gig with it because the tuning is so unstable but it has the coolest Gretsch twang you've ever heard. You can pick them up pretty reasonably but if you look at the Corvettes, make sure you get a 2-pickup model. It sounds too thin IMHO with just one.Gretsch's aren't for everyone and you're not going to get searing sustain or big fat tone but nothing else sounds like one. They just sound cool. :D:cool:

I picked it up free years ago from a relative on the East coast who had it laying around. Get this, it was still mated with the original '62 Ampeg ReverbeRocket which I also have. Sorry kids. :D

As Mudcat mentioned above, Gretsch does make lefties, but only on their high end guitars (Nashville, White Falcon, Duo-Jet etc.), which means you are looking at laying out big $$$. The new Electromatic series, much less money, is not offered in lefty.

Used lefty Gretsch's are very scarce, at least on E-Bay, and when they do show up, they go very quickly and at a premium.

Until I have the ready cash to get a nice Gretsch orange Nashville with Bigsby, I'm making do with an Agile Cool Cat hollow body with TV Jones pick ups I had put in. Nice twang for less money, but no Bigsby :( Sometimes you just have to compromise...

John

Is that one on in your avatar?

Nope.

Ibanez Artcore, AF-75.

When I went to buy it the sales guy was trying to talk me into playing a Gretch, but I decided that all that could possibly accomplish was that maybe I'd suddenly want yet another guitar (and one that was way too expensive, too).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Cowbell:

Yep, I gots one.

This guitar has fake F-holes. They're really just painted onto the body to make you think they're real.

I'm prolly gonna have to sell it. :(

The "fake" F-holes were Gretsch's attempt to cut feedback, not really an attempt to skimp on real f-holes.

Don't sell it. You'll kick yerself in the arse later.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Thats what I thought the Bigsby was. Isn't it just a whammy bar? :P

Yes. While some guys drive a Bigsby hard, I think it works best when used for subtle chord vibrato. Chet Atkins is the best example of this.
Amen. I like the "chord shimmer" effect. For something a little more robust and all-Gretsch/Bigsby, slap in some Brian Setzer.

I would LOVE to have my very own Gretsch, either an Elliot Easton sig model http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6128TLHEE_th.gif (a great guitar, with real refinements, not just the usual "sig" B.S.), a Malcolm Young http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6131MY_th.gif (another great axe), or an original '50s vintage Round Up, with the old knotty-pine top and "G"-brand burned-into it. http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6121W_th.gif

Elliot Easton with his sig model Gretsch http://www.gretschguitars.com/images/elliot.jpg

http://www.gretschguitars.com/repository/gretsch/images/G6136-1959LH_th.gif Gretsch makes a lot of lefty guitars, you're in luck! Click here to go to their website (the Elliot Easton model 'page, to be exact); scroll down to view a list- with pics- of all of their models, including their left-handed models.

I'd also love to get a Gretsch Spectrasonic long-scale baritone, pictured below in the middle:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/Spectra-Sonics-large.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Thats what I thought the Bigsby was. Isn't it just a whammy bar? :P

And a '57 Chevy is just a car.
Couldn't have said it better. :thu:

I have a friend who plays a Brian Setzer model. He has two. It's the best tone I've ever heard. He runs stereo and I don't know what else but it is killer tone. NOBODY sounds even close to his sound.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

http://www.gretschguitars.com/images/elliot.jpg

"Elliot always had some tasty licks"

Yeah, and some tasty guitars, too!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived