Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going Down?

Teahead

Ok, those of you in here with a dirty mind can get right out! :P I'm merely wanting to ask if anyone has reduced the gauge of strings they use? ;)

The reason I ask? I've been plinking on my brothers Strat copy for a while today, it has gauge 9 strings. I had a blast! It almost felt like a toy guitar at times.

So I'm considering putting 10s on my Tele, in place of the 11s that it currently sports. I may even go down to 9s, but I'd like to be progressive about it. I'd keep the 11s on my Les Paul, for thick, crunchy tones.

Any experiences or advice?

Tea.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think that .011s on a Les Paul styled axe is pretty damn close to perfect; I like .010s or .011s on a Strat or a Tele, depending on the guitar and the application.

I've been thinking for a while that I'd really love a vintage-y Tele with .010s on it, so's to make for better bends and twang. I personally wouldn't want .009s, though, even on a 25&1/2" scale guitar.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Teahead,

It almost felt like a toy guitar at times.
Yeah! I agree.

My Raven came with "10's" on it and it was easy to play (why I bought an elctric to get started playing again; the Martin was too tough for my fingrs). When I changed it to "9's" it was a breeze to play. Great for getting started again, and little change in tone.

Years ago my 1972 Martin D-18 came with "12" or "14's" (Martin "Heavy" gage) on it. GREAT tone, but murder on even my very callused fingertips at that time. I changed to Martin "Medium" the first string change (six months?), and later (a year or two?) to "Lights" (10 gage?). The tone suffered with every change, but my fingertips stopped suffering.

Now I'm going to change to DR "Pure Blues" (I already have them) to try and "lighten" the action even more. I like the tone with lighter strings, AND with heavy strings. The tones are just DIFFERENT. Try and see what you like. The "Light"s are definetly easier too play.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Years & years ago. Back when we all still lived in trees (I am refering, of course to my high school years), I used to use .008's !! I stepped up to .009's about 20 years ago. I finally (about a year or so ago) to .010's. I like the tone of heavier strings better, but the ease of lighter strings is a great thing to me too...

I have .010's on my strat and on my Les Paul & my Artcore. I actually like that the shorter scale neck with the same gauge string has a different feel about it. It makes me play differently.

I may put .011's on the LP just to give me one more option. .011's on an LP should feel about the same (tension-wise) as .010's on a strat.

I know that none of this is really "advice" of any kind, but you did ask for experiences as well, so there you go. :D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

"...or "14's" (Martin "Heavy" gage)..."

Some of my very favorite flat-top acoustic strings, especially the Martin Marquis!

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm a wimp. I've always used .009s.

BTW...dirty mind aside...I thought this was about the Jeff Beck Group song.

I thought he was going "Down Under" (Australia) :o

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

"...or "14's" (Martin "Heavy" gage)..."

Some of my very favorite flat-top acoustic strings, especially the Martin Marquis!
"Martin Marquis"; exactly what I have used for the last thirty-two years (various gages as above). I bought a large stash of them when I worked with a (sort of) Martin dealer (he sold one or two a year) :D

The DR Pure Blues will be my first departure from Martin strings on the Martin in thrity-two years. Maybe that's why I keep putting it off? :confused:

To the original question, the difference between adjacent gage sizes is difficult to discern, but a jump of two or three is much more dramatic.

Dave

Originally posted by Teahead:

Ok, those of you in here with a dirty mind can get right out! :P I'm merely wanting to ask if anyone has reduced the gauge of strings they use? ;)

The reason I ask? I've been plinking on my brothers Strat copy for a while today, it has gauge 9 strings. I had a blast! It almost felt like a toy guitar at times.

So I'm considering putting 10s on my Tele, in place of the 11s that it currently sports. I may even go down to 9s, but I'd like to be progressive about it. I'd keep the 11s on my Les Paul, for thick, crunchy tones.

Any experiences or advice?

Tea.

Whew!! I thought this was going to be another one of those "relationship" threads. :o

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I went down to .011-.050 on my acoustic after realizing I never perform with it unless it's plugged in anyway. Still sounds reasonably good unplugged, and plays like an electric now.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

I generally like .010's for electric. About .011 or .012 for acoustic, and maybe a Normal tension set for a classical guitar.

I did try a hybrid .010-.052 set on my 1992 Ibanez RG560 at one point, but I think that might have warped the rather thin neck of it slightly, so now it's back down to a standard .010-046 set. If I had one of the newer RG's that have beefier (but still somewhat thin) necks, I might be able to use .011's, and rip my head off a la Vernon Reid. He uses .011's on most of his electrics. :)

The only reason I still like .010's is that I can do some legato runs and taps easily enough (I'm not a complete Holdsworth freak, though), without much of a .009 set's loose feel.

Dave- You're putting "Pure Blues" nickels on an acoustic? Hmn. How do they sound on there?

I wanna try their "Subeam" acoustic strings sometime. In .013s.

Caevan,

Dave- You're putting "Pure Blues" nickels on an acoustic? Hmn. How do they sound on there?
I haven't put them on yet. Still procrastinating, or afraid to? :confused:

I thought that someone else on the forum had tried them on acoustic though.

Dave

I've been using 10-46 on everything forever. My brother uses 11's and they seem about the same to me. 9's always feel cheesy. I guess that's why Ted likes 'em.. :P:wave:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived