Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great bargains: old Peavey guitars

tiger85

Saturday I must have driven 100 miles to visit 10-15 pawn shops in Memphis looking for guitar bargains. Perhaps some of you saw another post of mine about how most of the music stores around here sell new Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, Taylors, etc, and low end new stuff like Johnson and others but not much in the way of used guitars. The pawn shops have this covered but for some reason they sell guitars at laughable prices- 299 for an imported Peavey, 249 for a Strat Affinity, except for the chain stores like Cash America Pawn. Then you get some real bargains, 129 for a really nice Ibanez acoustic or 350 for a practically new Fender Utimate Chorus amp. Well to make a long story short I needed a guitar and found a Peavey Predator guitar ( Strat copy) with a little bit of peeling paint for 64.00 + 5.95 tax!

Red, with maple neck and made in the USA! ( pre-1993). All it needed was new strings and lots of cleaning and it sounds quite good, stays in tune, and has a really nice playable neck. This is actually the third Predator I have owned over the past ten or so years. If you need a really decent guitar at a rock bottom price check out these old USA made Peaveys. The Raptors ( t-style) are also nice as well as the old T-60s. Saw a really good band down on Beale Street, the guitarist kept his expensive stuff at home and played a T-60 through a Fender Twin. Believe me, the thing sounded good! Check 'em out!

:D

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy on Beale Street had one that I think he paid 240 for. Sounded great and was a versatile little booger. He said he swore by it for gigs!
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

I'm in the process of rebuilding the T-60 my parents bought for my brother in 1978, which I then bought from him in 1984. It's a strikingly beautiful guitar (natural finish, rock maple, very straight grain) for a relatively inexpensive model. The pickups were never that good, though. I'm considering replacing them with P-94's (Gibson P-90 in a humbucker sized shell.) or the equivalent Seymour Duncan set, but I want to at least audition the new p'ups in something else to be certain they sound like P-90's. Plus, it needs a refret in the worst way. (Never had one in 26 years and Peavey used low profile frets.)

I played my first band gig on that guitar, not to mention lots of other gigs! ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I used to work in a music store in the mid-90s and we were all impressed with the quality of the USA Peaveys, especially for the money. When I had the opportunity to get a Reactor (Tele clone) for $180, I couldn't pass it up, and it's still the best-playing Tele style guitar I've come across.

The older Peaveys are really cool as well, with some interesting design quirks in the electronics. Really solid, great-playing guitars, that I think were just a little too funky-lookin' for conservative-minded guitarists.

Damn this thread, now I'm gonna be keepin' my eyes peeled for an old T-60! (Like I need another guitar. :rolleyes:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

This would be funny if it wasn't so wrong. :eek:

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

any body interested

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/03/de/0e_1_b.JPG

T-60 sunburst on ebay

-LynnG

The seller claims it has a mahogany body. Aaaanngghh! Wrong. All T-60's were Rock Maple, body and neck.

Second, the seller fails to mention what modifications have been made to the guitar. T-60's have a Les Paul knob/pickup setup, with an extra switch behind the volume and tone pots to reverse polarity of one pickup when both pickups are in use. This guitar seems to have extra switches installed in what would have been volume and tone pots for the neck pickup.

But, for $120, it would probably be worth it regardless of the setup.

BTW - There are at least 7 or 8 more T-60's available on Ebay right now. One note: You can tell some of the older ones from the newer ones (and we're talking the difference between late 1970's and early 1980's) by the case design. The large, rectangular case was the original design from the mid to late 1970's. The rounded case, with less crushed velvet on the interior, was introduced in the 1980's.., maybe 1979.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah, Geezer, I saw another one on Ebay that said Ash... must've seen that one and copied the second guy's mistake! ;):D

I think I gave all the documentation that came with the T-40 (and which applied to both the T-40 bass and the T-60 guitar) to the buyer of the T-40 last year. :(

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived