Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

24 channel a/d i/o i'm confused

ok mackie and alesis both make $1999 boxes that have 24 channels of inputs and outputs and the converters are supposed to be decent. these units also record to hard disk. what i want to know is: does anyone make just a 24 channel i/0 card/breakout box that you can hook up to the compouter of your choosing? i see tons of 8 channel ones that cost $400-$1000 dollars. but buy three of those and you might as well buy a mackie or alesis. am i missing something here? i'm baffled that i can't find something like this.. -d. gauss

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that it should be feasible to get a 24 I/O A/D converter box for less than what it cost for a stand-alone unit. But with the Mackie that sells for $2000, you have 24-channels of digital OR analog, but not both. The Alesis however, does provide 24-channels of both formats. Right now, it's cheaper to get the Alesis (if you can find one) if you require 24 inputs via Lightpipe than it is to buy three, 8-channel converters. Silly, eh? -Dylan

silly is right. pathetic is more like it though. thing is, i'd buy the alesis, but then i'd still end up transferring the tracks into the computer. to me, why bother with the extra step? just sell me the front end part of the alesis or something similar and let me use my own computer to record... -d. gauss

From [url=http://www.motu.com]www.motu.com[/url] : The 2408mkII gives you 24 simultaneous inputs/outputs for under $1,000. But it gets even better. The 1U rack-mountable 2408mkII actually provides 7 banks of 8 channel I/O: 1 bank of 24-bit analog on balanced TRS connectors, 3 banks of ADAT optical, 3 banks of Tascam TDIF, plus stereo S/PDIF. You can choose any three banks (24 channels) to be active at one time. This means you can hook up three ADATs, three DA-88s, and eight analog devices all at the same time and access any three banks - in any combination of formats - at any time. And you can freely switch formats at any time.

My apologies. May I then offer the MOTU 24i: The MOTU Audio 24i interface fulfills the promise of host based hard disk recording: to record, edit, mix process and master multitrack recording projects entirely inside the computer. The 24i provides 24 high quality, 24-bit analog inputs in a cost effective, single rack space package, allowing you to connect and record from 24 simultaneous analog sources. In addition to all those inputs, the 24i also features stereo monitoring outputs in four formats: balanced 1/4" analog, optical S/PDIF, coax S/PDIF and front panel headphone output.

Wow - you think this would already exist out there. Apparently there's an opportunity. Wonder if Mackie or Alesis would consider stripping down one of their pieces to offer a 24 analog input/24 analog output box? Or maybe M Audio or Aardvark could come up with something... Any takers?

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]From [url=http://www.motu.com]www.motu.com[/url] : The 2408mkII gives you 24 simultaneous inputs/outputs for under $1,000. But it gets even better. The 1U rack-mountable 2408mkII actually provides 7 banks of 8 channel I/O: 1 bank of 24-bit analog on balanced TRS connectors, 3 banks of ADAT optical, 3 banks of Tascam TDIF, plus stereo S/PDIF. You can choose any three banks (24 channels) to be active at one time. This means you can hook up three ADATs, three DA-88s, and eight analog devices all at the same time and access any three banks - in any combination of formats - at any time. And you can freely switch formats at any time. [/b][/quote] Yes, I've got a system going with a MOTU 2408 and 3 Tascam DA-88s. Despite some problems with Win 98se OS, I've got it cookin' now and it's a fabulous system. The Mackie (MDR 24/96) box uses a M90 Mackie Media drive that costs $199 retail to get 90 minutes of pre-formatted 24-track, 24-bit audio. I saw another price on the same site of $299 for the drive. Mackie says, "Less than the cost of 2" tape!" Is this "Mackie Media" drive proprietary? If so, I would want no part of it. Alesis and Tascam were smart when they introduced their MDMs. The tapes are cheap and available anywhere.

GY

Archived