Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Gibson Acoustic

James-Italy

Yeah, yeah I know. Gibson is overpriced. And so stupid for me to make an impulse buy like that. I did no research before buying it. I have absolutely no idea about ratings or reviews or street prices, but man does she play great!

Went in to buy a capo at my local music store and they had a brand new Gibson Songwriter Deluxe that just came in yesterday..... like a fool I picked it up to try it out.

Not really wanting to buy a new guitar, I figured I'd try out all the Taylors, Larrivees, Gibsons, and Martins they had and confuse myself so much I'd just go home with the capo. Nuhuh... didn't work. While they were all great guitars I found myself really drawn to that first Gibson. Oh well, when that happens you just gotta bring her home. So I did.

She plays great and the Fishman Preamp sounds really nice straight into the mixer. I haven't had a lot of time to fool around recording, but I think it's going to be perfect. It's got great resonance and definition. The ebony fretboard (my favorite) and LP style neck feel just perfect for my Gibson-spoiled hands.

Went home to get the Takamine SantaFe to trade in. Thought a few minutes and also grabbed the Fender Telecaster. Tried as much as I could but I just couldn't get the Telecaster to work for me. With the trades it cost me about $100 cash. The Takamine A/B'd with the Gibson left me slack jawed. The difference is that extreme.

Don't know if I did a smart thing, but it feels right. :love:

BTW- I forgot the capo on the counter when I left the store. :D

http://montana.gibson.com/guitars/Hummingbird/songwriterdeluxecut.html

PHOTO of my new baby

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James in his Lou Gerhig voice:

I I consider sider my myself self the the

luckiest man man on the face of the earth.

congrats on the new baby rackemsacem#$@^% :D

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

DARKLAVA- dig that ball-park echo! :thu:

I think you made an excellent call there, James!

One of the very best flat-top acoustic guitars that I've played was an admittedly pricey new Gibson "Montana made" model, I'm not sure which one, but maaan, did it make a very good showing as I put it through its paces, trying all of the different things that I like to play on a flat-top, and some of the things I like to play on electrics! If I had been able to pop for the $three-grand tag- or even a down and installments- I would have gotten it, no doubts, and I usually visit a guitar at least twice before pulling the trigger!

If it works for ya, it works for ya!

Oh, and speaking of Taks- I never really liked 'em, there was only one Tak I've ever played that I liked, and it was decidedly unlike most of 'em! Too "tacky"- I mean thick and soft and sticky and undercured- in the finishes, like they're dipped in plastic, most of 'em, and kinda dull and weakly responsive to "touch" and dynamics... blech. Tubby basses, weedy mids, clanky trebles... "Nope, No-sir, I didn't like 'em!" -"Mr. Horse" from Ren and Stimpy

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

She's a real beauty man! My in laws have two Gibsons (an archtop and an acoustic), that sound and play amazing. They are worth at least 4-5 times what they paid for them 40-50 years ago, so maybe yours will be worth that much more in the decades to come. Hope you enjoy it for all us sorry S.O.B's that can only afford Ovations, Deans, and the like.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Cool, James. Enjoy your new baby. I'm certain it will bring you joy for years to come.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

...One of the very best flat-top acoustic guitars that I've played was an admittedly pricey new Gibson "Montana made" model, I'm not sure which one,...

Silly man! They're all, "Montana made". Least in the past 5 or 10 years since they bought the factory and moved all acoustic guitar production there. ;)

Gibson makes electric guitars and basses in Nashville, Semi-hollow body and some specialty solidbodies in Memphis, acoustics in Montana, and OAI (Original Acoustic Instruments - that would be mandolins, dobros and banjos) in Nashville, as well.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Thanks guys! :thu:

I i i i Said said said Thanks thanks thanks To to to All all all You you you Great Great Great Guys guys guys! ! !

You all are always welcome to come over and play with my toys anytime. Little Jimmy shares. :D

James I'd love to come to Italy and bring my mom,

her folks are from scicali...did I spell that right? anyways she'd love it.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Nice axe James.

Kinda funny that as inconsistent as the Gibson electrics are it seems the Acoustics are better that way.

I've played few that don't play and sound nice.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

"One of the very best flat-top acoustic guitars that I've played was an admittedly pricey new Gibson "Montana made" model, I'm not sure which one..."

"Silly man! They're all, "Montana made". Least in the past 5 or 10 years since they bought the factory and moved all acoustic guitar production there." ;)

I know that, Neil; I meant to differentiate from other, previous Gibson flat-tops, like the ones made by house-cats in sweat-shops in

Madison, TN... :P:D

:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

She's a honey! I don't usually go for those type of cut-aways, but this one's shape is a bit different. And I like that detail on the neck by the soundhole!

If she sounds as good as she looks, you have no regrets.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived