Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who built Global guitars?

guit-it

While on my endless search for pawnshop prizes I recently purchased a pair of old Global guitars. One is approx. '68 the other '72. They are both very well built and after a change of pick-ups sound and play great. My question is this, what company built these axes and from where did they come?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea, but I'm sure someone here will have info for you.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum! :wave:

Tell us a little more about yourself.

:)

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Thanks for the welcome! A little about myself, I play guitar in a working band called: Icicle Razor Apple Inter-Planetary Reunion Rubber Machine. We log 200+ gigs a year. We recently started work on our first full length CD.

WOW, SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS ABOUT GLOBAL!!!!!

My first electric guitar was a Global Les Paul copy. I bought it at JCPenny in 1978 for $79.00, brand new. I kid you not - to this day, it is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned!! It had humbucking pickups (obviously) that just had the best tone and the greatest sustain!

Believe it or not, I still have it but it is no longer functional. I had some problems with the internal wiring so my buddy decided to make it his personal electronics project. Big mistake! If memory serves, all I have at this point is the shell - I believe all the electronic guts (including the pickups) were removed.

Anyway, if you have the Les Paul copy, you've got one great sounding instrument!! BTW - I have no idea what parent company made them...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Originally posted by guit-it:

Thanks for the welcome! A little about myself, I play guitar in a working band called: Icicle Razor Apple Inter-Planetary Reunion Rubber Machine. We log 200+ gigs a year. We recently started work on our first full length CD.

It'll need to be a 2-CD set just to get the whole name of the band on it! ;)

What kind(s) of music do you do?

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Well, lets see if I can shed some light on what exactly we play. It definitely is a hard rock record but I mix in lapsteel and slide guitar work on certain numbers. I have also noticed that most of the song I write can exsist on different planes. I can play them as flat out heavy metal or jump blues and even delta style blues. I credit this to the fact that we play such a diverse blend of clubs from metal clubs to straight up roadhouses. The fact that I don't have set boundaries allows my songs to expand into living entities. As far as tone, it has always been my belief that your guitar should sound like it is going to explode at any minute.

Sounds intriguing.

Do you have a link to any clips, or anything? I'd be interested to hear some of your stuff. (And I'll bet I'm not the only one.)

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I think Global was owned by the same company that produced Hondo. Korean.

I used to have a Global Humming-bird Gibson copy, I think made in Italy. Maybe Eko ??

Archived