Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Higher wattage speaker character and balancing my rig

alanfc

Higher wattage speaker character and balancing my rig

The nature of the High Watt speaker is..?

I ask because I'm getting a 2x12 to connect to my Rivera R55, which has a Celestion G12T-85. I've read volumes about the traits of every speaker out there, but how to compare to what I have ? I know what I THINK it sounds like.

So could anyone give me a character sketch of the G12T85?(or high wattage speakers in general)

As it relates to all those other models/makers out there?

I'm thinking of putting speakers with a heavy to moderately heavy low end in the 2 x 12. I would be running all 3 speakers here. For pop-rock to hard rock tones, and occasional cleans.

I have been gathering info on high watt speaker character to understand better. I 'm thinking that if the higher wattage speaker has one trait, then I'd load my 2x12 with another character to balance it.

here below are some quotes I gathered on High wattage speakers:

----

I love my THD 2x12 with CL80s. It's been surprisingly great with some clean heads, but I bought to tame my Marshall 30th Anny. Punch is where it's at! If I can get the master cooking, I have to watch myself to not step on the bass players nuts

----------------------------------------

I have a couple of classic lead80's in my marshall 1936. they are great speakers and have a nice bass response. They don't have the fizz of a vintage 30 and tend to be a cleaner speaker overall

------------------------------------------

The 75s are a bit harsh, and I don't really care for them personally; but they will work fine.

---------------------------------------------

I actually use a semi-closed back 1x12 and the sound is big with no lack of bottom end..I like it better than the Marshall 4x12 I used when testing the amp. I've got a Celestion G12H-100 in the 1x12, sweet speaker IMO

----------------------------------------------

The G12M70's have a great eq across the freq bands, low, mids, and highs. If you like a heavy but clear lead tone, I don't think you can go wrong. The V30's by comparison sound much more fuzzy.

--------------------------------------------------

To me, it sounds very tight on the low and and highgain clarity is awsome. I personanly like them. The highs dont cut your head off..

-----------------------------------------------------

but when i teamed it up with the 70/80's cab i get tons of clarity and a nice thick bottom. If i were going just to get one cab, get the 70/80's

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Celestion G12T-75s are other speakers that I think sound very good. They are bashed all the time on these forums for scooping out the mids, but I think they do a great job of taming highs and giving you nice bottom end on a high gain amp.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Celestion Classic Lead 80 is probably the best for what you're thinking of. It's super fat and smooth

------------------------------------------------------

I love my THD 2x12 with CL80s. It's been surprisingly great with some clean heads, but I bought to tame my Marshall 30th Anny. Punch is where it's at! If I can get the master cooking, I have to watch myself to not step on the bass players nuts

---------------------------------

I THINK I see a trend toward clarity and punch.... so in order to have the whole package (my 85-watt 1x12 punchy top, and then low end/warmth from my 2x12), I would want a lower wattage pair of speakers for the 2x12?

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this interests me as well alan. i think i may need a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 for the sound i hear in my head. my dg100 has vintage 30's and they do push out some bottom. but i want it a bit tighter and the open back is looser than i want(when the volume is up). if anyone is willing to give a little info on all the aspects of speaker and cabinet tones it would be great. i get frustrated at the harmony central reviews sometimes. some players are not good at really telling you how it really sounds. comments like "it sucks" and "sounds awesome" isn't very descriptive unless i know what it relates to. come one guys give up some info. :D

I know what you mean about Harmn.Central !

I have a feeling someone will come in and tell us to "do a search" - but I really haven't found anything other than speakers of x/y watts that "distort or don't distort" and "its all personal preference".

I understand that, but I guess I'm reaching for a low-budget sonic physics lesson here. FYI- a ways back I did some searching on open/closed back and found some info here... but the physics of it weren't addressed.

I have an audition tommorrow and I'm trying to get a handle on what type of speaker combos to atleast start with, try out, research, whatever. Lets just say that this band will require more diverse tones than I have worked with in the past. I'll probably need to use some clean sounds (eek what's that? :eek: ) as well as my raaawk sounds. I don't need the 2x12 for tommorrow, but I want to get this straight pretty soon. After doing some more research, I'm thinking- the Rivera 85 W speaker in the combo on top, plus a 2 x12 with 2 G12H30's for some low end. Kinda like a having tweeter and a woofer ? (I don't know what I'm talking about yet)

hasta la vista.

Rivera + Fender Strat

My experience has been that the higher wattage Celestions tend to have a honkier 1-2khz bump and the lower wattage ones (up to 50) tend to have more of a scooped sound but I only have experience with about 10 drivers or so. Low end response is also greatly influenced by how your cabinet is wired; if all drivers are in parallel you'll usually have greater low end response; example 4x12 with 16 ohm drivers wired in parallel for 4 ohms vs. wired for 16 ohms. Open back also makes a big difference with low end response as does amp/speaker location with reference to room surfaces(walls/floors). Just try that amp in a corner once :)

Lyrics. Wasted space between solos.

I can't tell you, but I can play it for you.

Hey thanks

just got back from my audition - I'm in !

After playing tonight I'm thinking I may not need a 2x12 after all. I just had my Rivera and a Carvin 1x12 going and it was plenty. The Carvin speaker in the 1x12 open back is an Eminence thats made for Carvin and according the salesman its Eminence's Celestion V30 style speaker. With this setup I got major thump and plenty of power so I'm OK for now

Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived