Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leoni article help

Can anyone send me a pdf of the Leoni article from EQ magazine on building your own PC? I believe it ran about five to seven months ago, perhaps in the August issue? I've lost the issue, and I'm about to build a new PC (my old one is crapping out on me), and I could really use the article. I'll be happy to pay you for your trouble. Thanks so much for any help you can provide! Regards, Mario

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to go "by the book"...or by the article, I guess...and use whatever Leoni suggested in that article. The only hesitancy (is that a word?) I have is that my system is SCSI, whereas the Leoni system isn't, its IDE. But I understand that the system is supposed to be quite fast, and it seems I've read that IDE is just as good, or nearly as good, as SCSI these days. Hopefully that's true, as I'm probably just going to sell my SCSI card and drives on eBay.

[quote]Originally posted by MTalking: [b]Can anyone send me a pdf of the Leoni article from EQ magazine on building your own PC? I believe it ran about five to seven months ago, perhaps in the August issue? I've lost the issue, and I'm about to build a new PC (my old one is crapping out on me), and I could really use the article. I'll be happy to pay you for your trouble. Thanks so much for any help you can provide! Regards, Mario[/b][/quote]Anderton Moderator Member # 750 posted 02-18-2003 10:18 PM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PM me and I'll send you a copy of the article. In return, I suggest you subscribe to EQ so you never again miss out on our mind-boggling array of invaluable tips, penetrating insights, inspired interviews...and of course, as a bonus you won't miss the Big Surprise coming up this summer. No, I'm not going to say what it is. You'll just have to wait

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b]I am about to build this machine also. Perhaps we can get together on where we find the cheapest parts? What speed cpu's are you guyz thinking of using?[/b][/quote]Great idea I was planning on building the stock model in the article, figuring that in the last seven months the prices of the processors have come down. I'll start looking post haste and get back to you on what I find......

NOT Bolt Rifles, thanks for posting that previous post, but for what it's worth, I have PMd Craig a couple of times in the past few weeks and he hasn't had a chance yet. That's certainly understandable, given that he writes for seemingly every top magazine and is quite busy, I'm sure...but I'm hoping to get started sooner rather than later...thus the repeat request posting from me.

[quote]Originally posted by MTalking: [b]NOT Bolt Rifles, thanks for posting that previous post, but for what it's worth, I have PMd Craig a couple of times in the past few weeks and he hasn't had a chance yet. That's certainly understandable, given that he writes for seemingly every top magazine and is quite busy, I'm sure...but I'm hoping to get started sooner rather than later...thus the repeat request posting from me.[/b][/quote]Yea, I think he is in germany now. The links in the previous post are the old Roll Your Own, I believe. If I come across a the new one I'll post a link. Anand Tech is also a great site for general product reviews, tho it is not a DAW specific site. HTH, Bolt

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

Here's what I have found so far.... I'm gonna leave out the venders till we settle on the lowest price. AMD mp 2000 $135/per 512mb DDR ECC $95/per tyan s2460 $164 Enermax whisper power supply $85 matrox g450 video card $84 The case , I'm not sure of yet. I found a ton of them but am not sure which one fit for this project. But they're in the neighborhood of $90. I didnt price hard drives because i have all that i need. So it looks, for me, that I'm at $883. This was for all new components, not refurbished. Let the games begin..... Beat that.

[quote]Originally posted by jackpine: [b]Here's what I have found so far.... I'm gonna leave out the venders till we settle on the lowest price. AMD mp 2000 $135/per 512mb DDR ECC $95/per tyan s2460 $164 Enermax whisper power supply $85 matrox g450 video card $84 The case , I'm not sure of yet. I found a ton of them but am not sure which one fit for this project. But they're in the neighborhood of $90. I didnt price hard drives because i have all that i need. So it looks, for me, that I'm at $883. This was for all new components, not refurbished. Let the games begin..... Beat that.[/b][/quote]Nice! I think i may search for faster processors. I will post some findings sometime this week.

Archived