Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Samick Guitars

ridger

I was in a music store the other day looking at Les Pauls and the sales person went on and on about Samick guitars. I didn't have time to play one, but the finish looked good and the price was unbelievably low. I'm just not sure whether to buy one or just keep saving for the real deal. Does anyone here have any comment about the Samick guitars quality, sound, etc.? Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If those Agile guitars are as good as everyone says they are I'll be buying one or more of those. You can get a guitar with a set neck for $200.00, that's hard to believe.

When I was a kid in the 70's, the cheap guitars REALLY sucked. My parents bought me an electric guitar that had the most uneven fret job I've ever seen. The damn thing was unplayable past the 10th fret, then I started filing on the frets without a clue to what I was doing and really screwed it up.

I bought a Samick LaSalle http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v36/fendercaster/JZ2.jpg electric hollowbody a month or so ago, and am very happy with it. For the price, the construction seems to be very solid, and the tone is great. The finish is flawless, and it plays very easily. I haven't heard anything negative regarding Samicks.

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

My first guitar was a Samick. I was at guitar center looking at guitars to buy and I came across a Samick which I had never heard of. It played very well and was only 350$. I bought it and have not regretted it since, it is a good guitar.
I swear to drunk I'm not god

I know Samick makes over half of the guitars in the world, but I wonder who the other Korean companies are though. They never name companies in any of the articles I read, when they talk about these guitars. It's always just, these are Korean guitars. Surely some companies there make a better product than others. Know what I'm saying? Martin and Taylor both make great guitars but they are very different, so I wonder who the different companies in Korea making guitars are. That could be helpful info when buying one of these instruments.

Tacoma Guitars for instance, made in Washington State was originally a Korean company, with a factory in Korea, owned by The Young Chang Company. They were sold off, and are now a seperate company, but it's still mainly a Korean company, including the management and workers.

I have owned a few LP copies over the past few years, and was never really happy. I recently bought a Samick, and my search is over.

The quality of the Samick, for a lower price than the Epi's, is far better. I have no regrets about buying the Samick, and wouldn't hesitate to buy a second one should the need/GAS arise.

Ah! A thread with my name on it! I LOVE my Samick Royale 2. The Royal 3 got a Guitar Player's Pick Award. I concur COMPLETELY. In a number of threads I have confessed/professed my love of my Royle. That's my story. I'm sticking to it.

I've always said, it's the guitar I pick up the least (I've got three guits) but it's always the hardest to put down once I get going. The tone is AWESOME. The bridge PUP crunches like a SOB and the neck PUP has clean tone to spare. Coming out of a good amp, it's tone is REALLY something. Then considering the price, innovative design, sustain and looks, forget it!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by TheWewus:

If those Agile guitars are as good as everyone says they are I'll be buying one or more of those. You can get a guitar with a set neck for $200.00, that's hard to believe.

I have a LP goldtop p-90 Agile, and it's a really nice guitar . . . for $200.

I'm used to guitars with really nice fretboards though, and I can't get the action on the Agile as low as I have it on my other guitars because of a little bit of a hump where the heel starts. A little fret leveling will probably take care of it, but it's certainly a playable guitar as-is. And to be fair, I had to have the frets leveled and crowned on three of my other electrics as well to get them where they are (one of them a gen-yoo-wine Gibson).

Except for the aforementioned issue, though, it really seems to be a lot of guitar for the money. The only obviously cheezy parts were the "top-hat" style knobs, which disintegrated when I pulled em to install speed knobs instead. The wood, tuners, bridge, tailpiece and pickups were all much better than I expected. The pickups sound particularly sweet, and are NOT microphonic. Can't say much about the switch and the pots except that they work as they should. Haven't opened the control cavity yet.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Bump back to the top!!!

The second guitar that I ever bought is a Samick. I still have never managed to identify what model it is, can't find any like it on any website. I was young and bought it because I thought it looked cool, shall try to post a pic later...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I have always found that Samick guitars are like Casio keyboards. The cheap ones suck REALLY bad and the more expensive ones are amazing. Case in point...my Samick bass. I walked into a music store to buy a P-Bass and walked out with this amazing sounding, neck through body design bass. It was about the same price as the P-Bass but sounded amazing...If you get a nice high end Samick, it will be worth the money IMO.

http://www.larrydowning.com/2.jpg

Thanks for the Agile review DennyF, and thanks to miroslav for drawing my attention to these guitars. Anyone else out there own an Agile? We can move this to another thread if anyone wants to keep this one for Samick guitars.

Speaking of cheap stuff, anyone seen the Chinese tube amps that Sam Ash sells. The company name is Guitar Research. They have a 60 watt model for $200.00 and a 30 watt model for $150.00. They're close backed designs though, so I couldn't tell what the tube configuration was.

Archived