Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quickie on Marshall JCM 800's

alanfc

hello-

can someone tell me the sonic differences between the JCM 800 model with the Gain knob and the ones without?

In particular I'm looking at the 1x12's

4010 or the 4210. I just don't know how to judge these. And cannot get hands-on time with them

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with those particular models, just the JCM 800 2203 and 2204. I'd imagine that the amp you're looking at with the gain control is very similar to the 2203 and 2204 models.

What is it that you want to know?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

thanks,

well here's what I think I know

the 2203/2204 are the same, just 50w and 100w versions. The 4010 is the 1x12 50W version of these.

the 2205/2210, also 50w and 100w versions. And the 4210 is the 1x12 50w version of them.

I find some discussions of the 2203/2204 vs. the 2205/2210 so thats how I follow it. But full-on comparisons of both by thier users (or fans) is hard to find. In particular I care about the amount of and the quality of Gain. Which of the 2203 or 2205 family has what characteristics?

The only hint I've found is that many people prefer the 2203/2204's due to their simplicity compared to the 2205/2210's. But I can't even find debates on this subject on Marshall fan/user sites.

I'm basically on the eve of getting the Rivera 55-112, but had toyed with the idea of getting a 1x 12 JCM 800 and possibly sending it to be modded if necessary. That is, if I couldn't get the results I wanted from goosing the amp with a clean boost or overdrive. I love the Marshall sound but I also love the Riveras and especially like their workmanship. I almost went into the Engl family but after much listening decided that the sound was too compressed and that the 6L6 sound was to my ears a Mesa Boogie/neck pickup sound. Not enough bark or sizzle for me. SO I've gone back to my old old original choice of Rivera. But just looking at Marshall one more time. I plan to get one of these 1x12 combo amps and a 2x12 cabinet to make me a little 3/4 stack of sorts.

Rivera + Fender Strat

I haven't had the oppertunity to play through either of those, at least not a real one. I have a JCM 800 2204 clone that I built myself. There's a link to a sound file on my website if you want to get an idea of what it sounds like. Not my best playing either... :rolleyes:

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/mv_clone.html

The power tubes are Sovtek 5881's, not EL-34's. The DSL-50 is very close to the JCM 800 sound on it's crunch channel.

Hope this helps a little...

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

actually I just emailed the dude selling the Rivera, he's in town here, and I committed. So its done. I'm gettin it. Excited-first tube amp

thanks for your notes

Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived