Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat pick-up mods

Wes from Wpg

I have a Squier Strat that I would like to mod, but don't have cash for new pups (actually I have the cash but lack the spousal authorization). I have an idea for it, but don't know if it would work.

I would like to cut a custom pick guard, and leave the single coil in the neck position, and put the middle and bridge single coils together in the bridge to simulate a humbucker.

The question I have is, can the pick-ups be wired together that way, and if so, would it sound like a humbucker, or would it just sound bad?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that idea will work, but only if the middle/neck & middle/bridge positions cancel hum the way it's wired right now. To use them as a humbucker, you'd wire the ground of one pickup to the hot of the other, and then wire the remaining two leads as if you were wiring one pickup.

You could also wire in a mini-switch to get series/parallel or single coil options for your pseudo humbucker. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Before I'd attempt what you are suggesting, I would highly recommend the following 2 simple rewiring changes. This will greatly improve the versatility of your Strat's sound (including getting a neat Tele sound without buying a Tele) I highly recommend these minor wiring changes of the pups as indicated at the kinman pickup website (kinman.com). They are both shown on their Stratocaster wirograms and is called

1. Modified wiring for neck pickup mix control & master tone control:

This mod is really neat and is easy to make with no surgery to the exterior of your Strat. You basically replace the rear tone pot with a higher valued pot ( I used a 1 Meg), make the wiring changes shown and the versatility of your Strat improves dramatically. What happens is the middle tone pot becomes a master tone pot for all 3 pups (you only need one tone pot anyway) and the rear tone pot becomes a graduated blender pot for blending in the neck pup with any of the other pups selected via the 5 way switch. You really lose nothing and gain everything since if you turn the new rear pot totally off (i.e. clockwise) then the 5 way switch works as on a traditional Strat. However, if you start dialing in the rear pot counter-clockwise, you can get a progressive mix of the neck with any other pup. For exampe, if you set the 5 way switch to the bridge pup and dial in the neck pup, you get a neck and bridge pup blend for a neat Tele sound . Similarly if you set the 5 way switch to middle & bridge position and dial in the neck pup, you get all 3 pups for an entirely different sound. Everyone I've talked to who has made this mod is very happy with it. Some were thinking about buying Teles and have indicated they can now get a good Tele sound on their Strat.

Additionally, I recommend the other kinman mod called

2. Treble Bypass filter: You buy a 130K 1/4 watt resistor and .0012uF 63 volt polyester capacitor needed for this minor mod (for less than fifty cents). You basically wire the resistor and capacitor in series across the two terminals of the volume pot as shown on the wirogram. The end result is that you no longer get a loss of highs as you turn your guitar's volume pot down ( a common problem of Strats associated with guitar cable inductance).

In my opinion, these minor mods should be standard issue on any Strat (then again it would probably cut into Fender's Tele sales). All of the above can be accomplished for about $5.50 ($5 for a 1Meg pot and $.50 for the resistor and capacitor. Go for it on all your Strats - you will truly be amazed by the improvement.

I'd think that the Texas special is a single coil pickup, right? So, it's going to be quieter than the cool rails (humbucker) and double stack (also a humbucker). Pay attention to the places you're playing when your pickup starts to have noise problems. I'll bet that you'll be near a source of electro magnetic radiation like flourescent lights or a computer monitor or power drill or something. :( Or power lines.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Try holding the guitar at a right angle to your monitor and getting as far away as you can from your computer when recording. Also, adding distortion after you've recorded the guitar part clean is a good way to keep the noise down.

Hope this helps! :wave:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived