Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's Next.

elferoony

I read books, but I buy albums. I never feel like I want to spend time reading the same book over again, and so never buy new books. I'd just rather spend time getting more ideas from more books.

But music speaks to me in a way books can't. So lately I have been getting classic rock albums. I was born in 1985, so I wasn't introduced to this music through experience or my family, who moved here from Taiwan.

My challenge is that it is really hard to have the same familiarity with music with people many times my age. Yet I am not picking classic rock because it is 'the' music to listen to. It just speaks to me more than other music. I don't know why. Maybe it is the intensity of the present combined with the universality of the emotions? Anyhow, I have this feeling that I am spending money and time on music that if I don't familiarize myself with, may disappear forever.

So my most recent acquisition is Who's Next. I've listened to My Generation and some of The Who Sell Out, but other than that I'm totally unfamiliar with the Who.

On my first listen, I hear a band with some very mature songs. It seems that compared to earlier efforts, the music has a more spiritual feel. Is this considered one of the Who's better works? It seems to me like an Abbey Road, which is a good thing.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My very favoritist Who album in the whole wide world is Quadrophrenia. It out Tommys Tommy and answers the question, "Who's Next". A truly kick-ass album! Tends to get overlooked.

It's one of those classic-rock monster albums, a bechmark and timepiece up there with The Wall and Ziggy Stardust' and Layla' and Houses of the Holy and... get the picture?

That's not to say that Who's Next isn't a good Who album; it's just shorter, and less ambitious, and... I just wanted to sell you on Quadrophrenia!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I agree that Quadraphenia is very good...

But I would also think that Tommy is a MUST if you're exploring The WHO.

Ignore however the Tommy movie, at least until you've fully absorbed the original music without the distractions of the odd acting and non-WHO music takes.

The era from which the phrase "Classic Rock" describes encompasses many different artists and styles.

On the "guitar" side, there's a ton of great players... Of all the recent "lists" of great rock guitarists... GuitarPlayer magazine's one this month, (March issue), seemed pretty close to my own list. (Even if I would have "numbered" them a bit differently, most of the "big names" are in there somewhere). That's 50 talented players, most from the classic rock era to explore.

Another interesting way to learn about more players is to check out the website... www.allmusic.com. It's a great on-line encyclopedia of rock music with great "links" for most artists including "similar" artists and other people they played with.

Starting with ONE player like say, Eric Clapton... you'll find links to LOTS of other players, collaborators, and influencers and influenced... It really uses the potential of the web well for this kind of discovery and includes ratings on most albums of each artist, so you can see what the "widely held" view of the "best" of the artists is...

I've spent some interesting hours learning about the "interconnects" between artists I enjoy... sort of like that 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon thing...

Perhaps this would give you some direction for your "journey of exploration"... Good luck!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

There are also some excellent songs recorded for "Who's Next" that didn't make it on to the final recording worth seeking out. "Naked Eye" and "Pure and Easy" are two that you can find on an odds and ends album called "Odds and Sods".

"Quadrophenia", as noted in a previous post, does get overlooked quite a bit, but rewards on repeated listening...a personal favorite, even more so since it was remixed for the latest CD release.

John

Originally posted by elferoony:

Actually, I bought the expanded collection. I does include those songs.

Also, I have an icon, but I can't make it appear as my avatar? Or does it appear and I just can't see it?

Are you using one of the standard avatars, or are you trying to link to one elsewhere?

And yes, Whos Next is a masterpiece <----making mental note---pick up Whos Next on CD----->

:thu:

LynnG

Lynn G

"Who's Next" is an absolute classic (especially the re-released version that contains some extra songs).

"Tommy" has long been one of my all-time favorite albums.

Can't argue with the nods to "Quadrophenia", although it's not my #1 Who album.

Just to add to the list, let's not forget "Live at Leeds". That is one seriously rocking album! The recent re-release contains a 2nd disc which is the 2nd set from that concert - "Tommy". :thu::thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I just saw The Kids are Alright on TV. What a great band! And it's strange how there never was a Who clone. Lots of Beatle/Stones/Zepp clone wannabes, but I can't think of any Who wannabes. They were just so original, you really can't copy the band format. Just Moon alone! Who plays drums like that?!!!

I'm a Quadrophenia guy myself, but tip the hat for Tommy.

Who's Next is one of the Best Recorde ever made IMO.

Right with Floyd DSOTM and Zepp 4.

Got to agree with Caevan that "Quadrophenia" is my favorite. But a close 2nd is "Odds & Sods", as Jbote mentioned. I like hearing an album of stuff that was done over a period of time, but isn't quite a "Best Of"... actually, it would be a "Worst of", wouldn't it, since they never made the cut for the main album... Sidebar: does any band have more compilation albums out there than The Who? But I digress.

And don't overlook the "not -so-popular" albums, like "Who By Numbers". Still some great tunes on there. And I'm probably in the minority, but I love "It's Hard". A great collection of songs. Short enough that they could have been on the radio, but just not pop enough to have made it there... except for the single, "Athena". Can't all be gems... but "Cry If You Want" makes up for it. Especially fitting song during an election year.

Listen and learn to them all!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Ignore however the Tommy movie, at least until you've fully absorbed the original music without the distractions of the odd acting and non-WHO music takes.

:eek:

Come on! You got to love Anne Margaret rolling around in baked beans!

:D

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

If you also want to take a break from listening to The Who, Dave Marsh wrote what is probably the definitive history of the band - "Before I Get Old - The Story of the Who." Although the book ends pretty much with the release of "It's Hard" (the so far final Who album with new material), it's never less than fascinating.

I think Antimatter hit it on the head - one reason there were few to none Who imitators might have been the impossible task of trying to replicate Keith Moon's drumming...In the book, Marsh believes that when Moon's skills began to decline in the early 70's, the band took a major hit, and when Moon died, the Who was done. He was that essential to their sound.

(This is not to take away from Entwistle's incredible bass playing, by the way...or Peter or Roger, for that matter.)

John

Originally posted by jbote:

If you also want to take a break from listening to The Who, Dave Marsh wrote what is probably the definitive history of the band - "Before I Get Old - The Story of the Who." Although the book ends pretty much with the release of "It's Hard" (the so far final Who album with new material), it's never less than fascinating.

I think Antimatter hit it on the head - one reason there were few to none Who imitators might have been the impossible task of trying to replicate Keith Moon's drumming...In the book, Marsh believes that when Moon's skills began to decline in the early 70's, the band took a major hit, and when Moon died, the Who was done. He was that essential to their sound.

(This is not to take away from Entwistle's incredible bass playing, by the way...or Peter or Roger, for that matter.)

Each member was pretty much irreplacable.

I saw them in 2002, with Zak Starkey on drums, and it was about as close to "old school" Who as you could get. They were just a 5-piece for that tour (using the keyboardist who's been with them for the past 20 years or so), and they totally rocked.

Now that John is gone too, there pretty much is no more Who. Pete & Roger can play together all they want, but too many parts of the magic formula are gone... :cry:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

NMcGuitar,

Just to add to the list, let's not forget "Live at Leeds". That is one seriously rocking album! The recent re-release contains a 2nd disc which is the 2nd set from that concert - "Tommy".
"Tommy" is my favorite too, and I also have "Who's Next" (both on LP's). I also recently got "Live At Leeds", it's GREAT. Well worth getting, it's got most of "Tommy" and a lot of other very good Who.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

FWIW, espec. if you HAVEN'T dropped your $ on any previous CD re-issues of it yet, the "Who's Next - Deluxe Edition" sounds... awesome. Beside interesting demos of several songs from the well-known Record Plant sessions before the "remake" of this album, the 2nd CD ("Live at the Vic" from 71) in the package is yet another example of how they earned their rep as a solid-grooving live act.

Yeah, "Who's Next" is considered the Who's piece de resistance by many. I love it myself, for sure, and yes there is something of a spiritual tone to it, seeing as it was mostly dealing with Townshend's newly discovered faith. But personally I'm even more of an earlier Who fan. "Tommy" is just the shiznit to me, and I think "I Can See For Miles" is one of the greatest rock singles EVER.

The remastered "Tommy" is fantastic, and I agree with everybody else that you should avoid the movie (and the movie soundtrack) like the plague. The original is the thing. "Quadrophenia" is wonderful too, but... there's something about the paradox of writing this "rock opera" and having it be performed pretty much by guitars, bass and drums, with only a smattering of keys and horns and very few overdubs. The band were careful to stay within their own limitations so that they could perform "Tommy" live, and I love that. Having such a bombastic piece of music be performed and recorded so simply is just genius, IMO.

Also, don't miss the "Kids Are All Right" DVD or the "Rock'n'Roll Circus" DVD - both of which contain the Who's performance of "A Quick One - While He's Away" from the R&R Circus. Which is just stunning. You won't see a rock band in better form and performing with more intensity than that.

I agree that the Who really ended when Keith Moon died, although his godson Zak Starkey channels him quite well. So does the drummer in my own band, happily. :) But they definitely broke whatever mold Moon was cast in... a true original and a true eccentric. One of my favorite drummers ever.

Don't really like the Who that much. Has anyone seen Quadrophenia the movie, it was okay. I liked the music in it (mainly Who hits). (or are all songs by the WHo?).

As for classic rock albums, anything by Led Zeppelin (especially 1-4) and Steppenwolf (yeah!). (just kidding about the steppenwolf part) :thu:

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

Archived