Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for DIY percussion

I need to emulate the industrial,ethnic, grinding, Metamorphosis-type sounds you get from sample cds and synths acoustically. It's for an all acoustic series of shows I'm MD-ing. I'm already thinking of cheating and using triggers on maybe large toms wrapped in some ethnic cloth since I'd like some Taiko sounds and, well, we have none and there is no budget for one. But for that other type of sound...grrr..(dancing to architecture)...perhaps some kind of metal sheet bolted to something? Has anyone made stuff like this and have it actually sound good and not sound like a trash can? The 2 percussionists only have the usual stuff...congas, timbales, guiros...nothing exotic and...non-organic. It's gotta have some bottom end to it too, which is why I'm having some trouble figuring it out. Not a whole lotta time to experiment too. Anyway, thanks for whatever ideas y'all got. Raul
Raul

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be honest, here, and tell you that I'm having a bit of a time reconciling the terms 'industrial' 'ethnic' and 'grinding' in the same sentence. Then you include Taiko drums. Now I'm lost. What ARE you looking for? :P
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

have you seen STOMP? you might find some ideas there- they've got at least one video out. Blue Man Group too. then there's that great 70's junkyard group, Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids. do a google search on "the art of noises" (noise[b]s[/b], not noise). some amazing stuff.

Years ago before technology helped this type of quest,I used to raid the factory dumpsters in an industrial park for all kinds of percussive material.All kinds of metals, plastics and hybrid material can be had for nothing which worked well at the time.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]I'll be honest, here, and tell you that I'm having a bit of a time reconciling the terms 'industrial' 'ethnic' and 'grinding' in the same sentence. Then you include Taiko drums. Now I'm lost. What ARE you looking for? :P[/b][/quote] ALL of the above! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] The theme of the shows are Movie songs, and not having orchestral instruments (except 1 violin and 1 flute/sax), I'll fill it up with as much varied percussions as I can get. I absolutely LOVE putting ethnic sounds and all kinds of noises in songs that normally wouldn't have them. Really adds a new dimension to, say, a typicall R&B beat. I'll do a search as soon as time permits wager, though I highly doubt I can find anything on the record stores in this country, so hopefully maybe I can download some (though at excruciatingly slow connections). And I guess I'll just start banging away at whatever I can get my hands on. Thanks. Raul
Raul

'kay, Serge...here goes... Just this weekend, I passed up buying a few (out of a stack) of metal dining trays, the kind the military uses, from an estate sale...they had a PHENOMENAL ring to them when struck while suspended. Try also: old hard drive discs. Find them at a garage sale or whatever; buy them, and gut them, saving the discs. You know the kind...80 MEGS that weighed 6 pounds? A Bundt cake pan makes good tone, too. Do not discount automobile hoods. Certain plastic trash cans make GREAT low end devices when struck properly. As well, do not overlook an assemblage of disparate electronic items tossed on a concrete floor. My personal favorite was the upper drum of a SONY-BVW 35 tape machine; second to a piece of aluminium rod about 2 metres long. My creme'? A Sennheiser 421 inside a freshly emptied dumpster, with the metal lid slammed. I won't tell you where it was used. Suffice to say, a majority of you have heard it. This message has been edited by offramp@earthlink.net on 10-17-2001 at 07:38 AM
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived