Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Class 5 Les Paul in Korina?????

Jazz Guitar

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, tonally, how would you (or anybody else) compare the "korina" to mahogany? Especially in the Les Paul recipe?

(And I do mean characteristically, as opposed to one being better than the other.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, tonally, how would you (or anybody else) compare the "korina" to mahogany? Especially in the Les Paul recipe?

(And I do mean characteristically, as opposed to one being better than the other.)

They just sing. Tis the only way I know how to describe them. Nice sustain, perhaps a tad "brighter" than mahogany. It seems to be a very resonant wood ideally suited for electric guitars. It has a reputation for being brittle though.

If you listen to my new 26 fusion clip you'll hear the korina SG, singin'. Some BurstBucker Vs would turn it into Enrico Caruso.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Check out this korina Les Paul!

http://gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=379469

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

A tad more upper-mids, then, and a tighter, more focused low-end, perhaps?

You would have liked an early '70s Les paul prototype that I got to check out; it had a multi-laminate neck like an L-5, a wild figured top, multilayer binding, and a variation on the Varitone-circuit. If I remember correctly, I think that it had a matching figured back, and was somewhat like a cross between Les Paul Custom and an L-5S. It had a lot more upper-mids and highs and presence and attack, but still sounded essentially like a Les Paul. And that was before you started playing around with the Varitone jobbie and other controls!

That "korina-quilt" LP in that pic looks like the top is maple, even though the description states that it's quilted korina. Then again, it's to my understanding that "korina" is a term used by Gibson to describe several species of African hardwoods with similar characteristics. Don't really know for sure, though.

Personally, as far as looks go, I can't help but feel that a Les paul looks sorta "funny" in any clear, "natural" finish; various 'bursts, translucents, and even some solids/opaque colors appeal to me more. But that's not at all to diss these korinas and other natural LP's. And, I'd ultimately prefer the best playing, best sounding one over the one that could be my calendar-girl, and even that's totally subjective!

Oh, yeah- by the way- I know someone who has a pair of Burstbuckers, that they replaced with some "Fillmores". They might be the V's, and they might be for sale. Lemmee know if you want me to find out if he's still got 'em, if they're the V's, and if so if you want me to connect you two! He'd probably be pretty reasonable.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived