Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitars

revolead

Vague topic? Yes. However, I think it titles well what I want to discuss.

My friends always make fun of me for being so guitar obssessed. It's a never-ending column of criticism anytime I bring something up. My parents act the same exact way. I'm sure personifying my instruments doesn't help the laughter I frequently encounter, but it just seems like in this cruel, dark world, my guitars are all I've got.

I'm sure most of the single guys can relate in saying, their favorite axe is way more tolerable and reliable than any woman they've ever dated. And not to be sexist, I'm sure the same could be said about guys, though I like to think of my instruments like the girlfriends or wives I'm sure we wish we all had.

Anyone else ever ridiculed or told to see a team of psychologists for their obssession?

Shut up and play.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm kind of the same way with guitars. I love to talk about them and tinker on them and play them, but I haven't named any of mine and I would much rather spend time with real people than with my guitars. Naming your guitars seems to be a fairly logical thing to do, people have been naming other inanimate objects for thousands of years, like ships for example.

Unless you're missing meals, classes, work, and waking up in the middle of the night naked holding your guitar :freak: , I don't think you're insane. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I don`t think I`d even name my guitars

A semi-well known player around the midstate New York area told me once "I call my guitar `my wife`-I can beat the hell out of it and it comes right back, ready for more`...

I didn`t know whether to congratulate him or call the police.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Your friends make fun of you for being so guitar-obsessed, while they talk about, say, basketball as if the local home team (college or pro) as if they owned it, they did the coaching, hiring and firing, as if they could actually do something about it. Worst of all, they'd probably die quickly in a serious game of one-on-one. They wallow in the sports page, spend every available minute watching hoops on TV...and they call YOU obsessed.

I've named one guitar. I don't regularly call it by that name...but it's kinda in the background.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

"A semi-well known player around the midstate New York area told me once, "I call my guitar `my wife`-I can beat the hell out of it and it comes right back, ready for more..." I didn`t know whether to congratulate him or call the police."

Dude- that is so WRONG!

revolead-

I got ragged-on the worst by a "fellow guitarist" in a place that I did a contract job in; he was pretty egotistical, and got off putting people down in front of his smarmy buddies there at work. He would sarcastically ask me little questions, in a very snide way, as if I was too stupid to realize that he was setting me up, pretending to make friendly conversation, then snickering behind my back whatever I said. Like I was some kind of fruit for finding guitar-related topics interesting, and as if it was an insult when I offered to loan him some of my gear if he wanted when the fact that he was recording demos came up. (I had the nerve to say, "Hey! Did you ever try out one of these speaker emulators? They're awesome! You can use one I've got if you wanna record direct!" What an @$$hol3 I am, right?!) Man, did I feel betrayed!

I've found that many people have an uncle, cousin, dad, or the like that plays, and can somewhat relate. But I do know what you mean!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

People that know me come to me for advise on guitar gear. It's very flattering at times. I get e-mail from folks I've never heard of about my amps and other stuff, and I just help them out if I can. :)

One of my uncles and about three of my cousins play guitar or drums, also an aunt that plays guitar so I'm lucky I guess. My uncle had me fix his burned-out Super Reverb (it was in a fire, kind of a mess!) by putting a new output transformer on it and installing a three way switch for the different impedance settings.

I guess my point is that I'm a super guitar-gear-geek, and that makes me useful enough to be tolerated. :P:D I can tell when my friends tune me out that they're simply tolerating my insistant techno-babble. :freak:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone. I know all my friends respect my playing and most people my age revere me as a guitar god. See the problem comes when you look at someone like Satriani and to yourself say, "I wish I was that good." Other people look at you and say, "Wow, you're talented." It's a paradox. Do you strive to be even better? Or do you take the satisfaction of knowing you can already hold your own and go serenade the chicks in the courtyard? Personally, I think most people take the second, but it's answering the first that makes you a true geek.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revorhythm:

well yeah revolead, but remember we make fun of them and their video games. :D

Hey, I like my video games! Actually, on that note, I like the classic ones. The ones that actually emphasize gameplay over glitzy graphics. Plenty of 'em out there. Like good music, some of the best titles get overlooked for ones that can $ell.

Anyway, I can't even talk to anyone outside of these forums much about guitars. They think I'm some kind of hippy nerd or somethin'. Damn fools! :freak:;)

i am a hippy nerd and this is my story!!!

that is so true. i always have my face driven in a guitar mag reading or here in nerd land. there is no cure. i think people give you the impression they think you are wierd but secretly they envy you. most people will be very inquisitive and supportive with a one on one conversation but act superior when in a crowd. it seems that way to me. once i was practicing in my basement and my sister in law made the comment.."how old are you?" i didn't realise i was doing a childs activity. :confused:

Originally posted by revolead:

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone. I know all my friends respect my playing and most people my age revere me as a guitar god. See the problem comes when you look at someone like Satriani and to yourself say, "I wish I was that good." Other people look at you and say, "Wow, you're talented." It's a paradox. Do you strive to be even better? Or do you take the satisfaction of knowing you can already hold your own and go serenade the chicks in the courtyard? Personally, I think most people take the second, but it's answering the first that makes you a true geek.

I strive to be as good as I can be, and to always improve, but you can't wait for all that to happen before you serenade the chicks! Dem girls gets impatient!

By the way, revolead... I checked out your homepage. We share the love of Iron Maiden and the '67 Shelby Mustang.. the greatest car ever.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Well, I guess i'm in the same boat as you guys are. I don't talk to people as much about guitars as I talk about music in general. Sometimes (with some people) the discussions work out very well, but then other times folk's just get sick about my music this, music that.. I loved when i was studying sound engineering in a music school, and almost everything people was talking about was music-related. Really loved that time. Learned lots of useful stuff, too.

But I have to say I understand them who get pissed off when all I'm talking about is music, 'cause I know I myself get bored when someone talks for ages about videogames or sports. I'm just not interested in those things, and other people have the right not to be interested in music. :thu:

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

I'm kind of the same way with guitars. I love to talk about them and tinker on them and play them, but I haven't named any of mine and I would much rather spend time with real people than with my guitars. Naming your guitars seems to be a fairly logical thing to do, people have been naming other inanimate objects for thousands of years, like ships for example.

Unless you're missing meals, classes, work, and waking up in the middle of the night naked holding your guitar , I don't think you're insane.

I'm with Bluestrat.

I've said this before here... No one at work a nd NONE of my friends play a LICK of instruments. :evil: Man, that ticks me off. That's why I come to to this forum. I need an outlet. My brother-in-law plays, but he's got 5 kids and our schedules never match. Every person that moves into our neighborhood gets the same question within 5 minutes of meeting me, "You play any instruments?". No luck so far. :confused:

Does EVERYBODY watch the Sacramento Kings? Does EVERYBODY know Chris Weber's medical prognosis AND shoe size?

Your friends make fun of you for being so guitar-obsessed, while they talk about, say, basketball as if the local home team (college or pro) as if they owned it, they did the coaching, hiring and firing, as if they could actually do something about it. Worst of all, they'd probably die quickly in a serious game of one-on-one. They wallow in the sports page, spend every available minute watching hoops on TV...and they call YOU obsessed.
No shit, huh?.... Well-said Tedster

I get some ribbing about my "obession", more of a deep interest. The pay off recently came during a party at my house. Someone said, "Let's see your new guitar!", my Carvin. Two guys came upstairs and I cranked it up. Before long, all the party was either in the small 12 x 12 room or outside the door listening, taking turns on drums :freak::eek: and having a great time. One guy, three weeks later mentions it everytime I see him. That was fun.

My wife just came in, rolling her eyes, asking, "Are you talking to other guitar players again?". She's cool about it, thank goodness.

Revolead, you're not alone. Go swoon some chicks in the courtyard. :thu: take abook out there like you're practicing in the good weather or under some other guise, don't prance out there proclaiming, "Look what I can do!".

PS, never prance.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Jedro:

By the way, revolead... I checked out your homepage. We share the love of Iron Maiden and the '67 Shelby Mustang.. the greatest car ever.

Well, it's not my absolute favorite, but I do love it so. And Maiden rocks!
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revolead:

Vague topic? Yes. However, I think it titles well what I want to discuss.

My friends always make fun of me for being so guitar obssessed. It's a never-ending column of criticism anytime I bring something up. My parents act the same exact way. I'm sure personifying my instruments doesn't help the laughter I frequently encounter, but it just seems like in this cruel, dark world, my guitars are all I've got.

I'm sure most of the single guys can relate in saying, their favorite axe is way more tolerable and reliable than any woman they've ever dated. And not to be sexist, I'm sure the same could be said about guys, though I like to think of my instruments like the girlfriends or wives I'm sure we wish we all had.

Anyone else ever ridiculed or told to see a team of psychologists for their obssession?

I have 7 guitars and a bass and my father is a retired psychologist. I credit him for me having turned out perfect.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I have 12 guitars, an oud, a mandolin, a banjo-uke, and a violin. My girlfriend and her mom look at me funny all the time, but the gf understands. And her dad loves it, because he's learning all about guitars and gear from my magazines in the... 'reading room.' ;D

My family at home understands by now, and if they don't, they know not to say anything. Getting my gf involved in designing my next project guitar really got her more understanding. :thu:

I've learnt to notice that thousand yard stare that comes across peoples face if I talk too deeply about guitars. They ask about it, and usually end up sorry for doing so!

My girlfriend understands, most of the time she just shrugs when another pedal gets delivered to the door.

Of course this is the only place where we can indulge ourselves fully without the worry of boring and alienating all the listeners! :bor:

I found some teenage guys at my church that can't get enough guitar talk. I swear they almost wear me out on guitar talk.

And oh brother, it takes a LOT of guitar talk to wear me out.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

I tell you all what I do find disturbing.

The fact I haven't one friend that is not a musician. I thought about this when I read this thread.

I put this down to the fact that, when you play alot - like I'm sure most of us do, we have little else time for anything but music.

My best friends are drummers, pianists, bass players. We don't talk too much about music, though we do trade gig stories as we all play on the same ciruit.

We all play in different bands and sometimes play together but nothing regular. I don't think that I feel the need for any non-playing friends although it don't matter whether they play or not and I'd welcome anyone I meet. It's just never happened.

I've played profesionally since I was 16,I'm 25 now and never thought about it till now.

There are several areas of manic pursuit for me, music being the first, where friends of mine say they want to get together and do something, but I listen to them and know that it wouldn`t work out. They`re not bad, just not at the same level. This includes one good friend who got me pointed in the right direction early on, but hasn`t really moved on with his own playing since then. Very difficult situation. Fortunately we`ve remained good friends.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived