Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp you bawt because "so and so" plays one?

Jazz Guitar

For me I knew in 1974 Boogies were 4 me. One Santana concert was all it took. 30 years later, I still vastly prefer Boogies to "English" sound. Some people did manage to get good sound from their early Marshall Plexis, like the Allmans and Robert Fripp. But those amps were CRANKED to 11. Not practical, not healthy. Master volume controls do have their place and advantages. That's why Marshall and Fender were in such a rush to copy Boogie.

[disclamier-some say Traynor had the first MV, some say Bogen PA amps were first]

For the most part though, Boogie usured in the sound I like to this day. True, today many brands can get a Boogie type sound, that wasn't the case for many years though.

So anyway, I bought a Boogie because Santana, Carlton, Ford, Bullock, Holdsworth, Fripp, and a cast of zillions play them, and the tone and sustain sounds great to me, even to this day.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortunately, by the time I could afford an amp of any quality, I had figured out that there was much better criterea than soley what was played by whom, and would critically try out an amp.

Sure, the amp choices of famous players would sometimes be useful indications, but hardly what to base a purchase on.

Case in point- though many famous rock players that I liked played Marshalls, I've never owned one, and probably won't. And though many have gotten great results with Roland Jazz Chorus combos- both well-known musicians and folks in bars and living rooms, right in front of me- I've absolutely hated the tone and response any time I've plugged into one myself. Most Mesa Boogie models don't do it for me, either; that's not to say that they're bad amps by any means, just that they don't work for me.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I won't say that I bought anything because someone else used it, but Steve Lukather's comments about Boogies definitely influenced my shopping for an amp. This goes back awhile, I bought my first in '89.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

I have a Fender Deluxe 85. Great amp, but the preamp voicings left me wanting more, so I gradually built a collection of stomp boxes, and then last October, I got a ZOOM GFX-5. I tend to use the ZOOM now as my main preamp going to the 85's power amp input. Just that, my TS7 overdrive, and my Crybaby wah are all I use most of the time now. I don't know any pro artists who actually use a 85, but I bet a few have this amp sitting around, or something from this series.

It's nice having around 30 different preamp voicings at my disposal. I get everything from Marshall, to Boogie, fuzz box tones, and of course clean amps like the venerable JC120 (used to have one of these). Sure, it may not sound exactly like the original, but for now the amp/space ratio can't be beat. :)

At some point, though, I might get the 100 watt Marshall MG combo. I love the sound of that one... all the Marshall tones I could want, good enough to drive a 4x12 if needed, and "look ma, NO TUBES!" ;)

I have always bought what I could afford, regardless of who played it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen music store employees sell unsuspecting folks gear with that approach. I feel like if you can't do it with a gorilla, you ain't gonna be able to with the amp of the moment played by whomever. Case in point, Scott Carlisle of the now defunct band Left Wing Fascists, has shown up for shows with a little solid state practice amp, much to the chagrin of his bandmates, and just smoked. I gather he prefers more amp, but just shows you can play through a $12k amp or a $10 amp, and you'll still sound like YOU! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Geenard:

I have always bought what I could afford, regardless of who played it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen music store employees sell unsuspecting folks gear with that approach. I feel like if you can't do it with a gorilla, you ain't gonna be able to with the amp of the moment played by whomever. Case in point, Scott Carlisle of the now defunct band Left Wing Fascists, has shown up for shows with a little solid state practice amp, much to the chagrin of his bandmates, and just smoked. I gather he prefers more amp, but just shows you can play through a $12k amp or a $10 amp, and you'll still sound like YOU! :)

Tell that to Larry Carlton and his Dumbles. Ask Santana about his Boogies. WHile you style might hear the style, the characteristic tone won't be there.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Tell that to Larry Carlton and his Dumbles. Ask Santana about his Boogies. WHile you style might hear the style, the characteristic tone won't be there.
All due respect, but I don't believe they started playing on those amps, and to me their early tone is what I base the artist on. I still get good reviews from folks on my tone and I'm happy. Hope you all are. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

All due respect, but I don't believe they started playing on those amps, and to me their early tone is what I base the artist on. I still get good reviews from folks on my tone and I'm happy. Hope you all are. :)
Ain't nothin' like having 30 different voices at my disposal. Not to mention the ability to play at night without getting evicted. At least I'll know what I want when I finally do have the $$ and the room to have some ungodly Marshall or Mesa tube stack (or combo). :)

I apologize in advance.

Mr. Nice Jazz Guitar Guy,

Ever think about "bawting" a dictionary?

Daniel, member of the advocates for proper grammar

Sometimes I forget why I believe you

But then the bullets always remind me

Follow the great vending machine

Archived