Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar, not a particularly "fast" instrument

Jazz Guitar

well bad religion and social distortion are punk bands not death metal, but i have feeling we were on the same page. but why not get back onto the original topic of the thread. this is worse than the arguments at my high school.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Jazz cats aren`t exactly known for being open minded about other genres. I have two uncles who are perfect examples. I think it would be great if more people got off that nonsense.

Perhaps you should listen to my fusion clip if you mistakenly have me pegged as an archtop only guy.
looking forward to that...
http://www.ic-musicmedia.com/artist_pages/songpage.php?mp3id=100030

The electric side of me.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Hmmmm, obviously there's no metal guitarists here, or you'd know the answer to the question . . .

The guitarist in my metal band can double-pick 16th notes at about 270 BPM. You can't bow a violin or double-tongue a trumpet that fast. You could roll your tongue while you play a trumpet and make a noise like a helicopter, but I don't think that counts. :D

According to the "World's Fastest Drummer" competition, the record for drums is also about 270 BPM.

Two-hand tapping on a guitar, using hammer-ons, slides, and pull-offs, can produce ridiculous numbers of notes. It would be at LEAST as fast as legato playing on a trumpet or sax.

Then you have to consider the fact that metal guitarists are possessed by demons and can do things that normal humans can't do. :D This started with Robert Johnson selling his soul to the Devil.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

http://grannysghost.com/megatronLap.JPG

Originally posted by stranger:

I'm guessing Mr' Jazz guy hasn't listened to much grindcore or death/black metal.

I'm guessing you wouldn't know the difference between Segovia and Itzak Perlman.

I'm guessing you've never seen the inside of Music Theory 101 Class either, like 99% of your talent-free heros.

You make a lot of assumptions, mr smart guy.

I bet you don't talk to people like this in the real world.

I guess that's what I get for responding to a troll.

Just forget it, people. Mr. Asshole Jazz Guitar Guy knows everything. He also knows everything about everybody.

My biography will be coming out soon. Written by Mr. Jazz Asshole.

Originally posted by Mr Asshole Jazz Guitar Guy:

Implicit in that comment is someone "thinks" metal hacks have some kind of monopoly on speed and technique, which contains about as much truth as a GW Bush State of the Union address.

Again, that self centered smuggness of young metal hacks annoys me. Of course maybe 1 in 100 will ever become a musician.[/QB]

For starters, I'm 35. I never implied metal had any monopoly on anything. I just mentioned a genre that had not been mentioned thus far. You made 95 assumptions about me and what I think, based on one comment.

Since we are all about assumptions here, based on your comments, I would assume you don't even know the real value of music.

Originally posted by Mr Asshole Jazz Guitar Guy:

Implicit in that comment is someone "thinks" metal hacks have some kind of monopoly on speed and technique, which contains about as much truth as a GW Bush State of the Union address.

Again, that self centered smuggness of young metal hacks annoys me. Of course maybe 1 in 100 will ever become a musician.

For starters, I'm 35. I never implied metal had any monopoly on anything. I just mentioned a genre that had not been mentioned thus far. You made 95 assumptions about me and what I think, based on one comment.

Since we are all about assumptions here, based on your comments, I would assume you don't even know the real value of music.[/QB]

I assume everyone already has you pegged as an asshole. I'll just go with the consensus.

I also suspect you have some moron tendencies.

Mr Jazz Guitar - I think you are way out of line. There's a tendency a lot of jazz musicians have as snobs. There's a tendency, less often observed, for rock'n rollers being even bigger snobs of a different type. I've tried to distance myself from both. I'm a jazz musician. I think your attitude is harmful, not just to jazz, but just plain harmful. Wise up.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Mr Jazz Guitar - I think you are way out of line. There's a tendency a lot of jazz musicians have as snobs. There's a tendency, less often observed, for rock'n rollers being even bigger snobs of a different type. I've tried to distance myself from both. I'm a jazz musician. I think your attitude is harmful, not just to jazz, but just plain harmful. Wise up.

Hint, look 2 posts up. Personal attack.

Sorry, but most younger Americans have been manipulated all their "lives" by MTV and the media.

Sometimes you have to be harsh. Usually people want to defend their "choice" of "music" as something they arrived upon by their own "free will".

Yep, millions and millions of ©rap fans "can't" be wrong, could they? No way so many people could have been manipulated into liking it, right?

My theory, play the most obnoxious BS over and over and over, and some moron will buy it.

I'm guessing Mr' Jazz guy hasn't listened to much grindcore or death/black metal.

I'm guessing you wouldn't know the difference between Segovia and Itzak Perlman.

I'm guessing you've never seen the inside of Music Theory 101 Class either, like 99% of your talent-free heros.

You make a lot of assumptions, mr smart guy.

I bet you don't talk to people like this in the real world.

I guess that's what I get for responding to a troll.

Just forget it, people. Mr. Asshole Jazz Guitar Guy knows everything. He also knows everything about everybody.

My biography will be coming out soon. Written by Mr. Jazz Asshole.

Why don't you eat shit and thrive, like your parents taught you to? It's the breakfast of chumpions.

You can never, ever, ever, ever win by trying to beat an opponent into submission. It only appears that way temporarily. One just becomes greatly resented. "Sometimes you have to be harsh?" Obnoxious too? I agree about MTV brainwashing, but you're never gonna win friends and influence people with an attitude like that. I wish you'd get on another side because I can't use you.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Whoa, looks like I skipped over half the thread . . .

Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy, death metal and jazz have something in common - they were both produced by the fusion of blues and classical, and have nothing to do with rock music. 90% of death metal bands are complete shit, but there's a handful of bands with amazing compositional skills and amazing chops, if you can get past the harshness of the music. Some of the most innovative musicians end up in metal . . . maybe it's because our society doesn't value innovation, and the most intelligent people end up turning against society. My own metal band is exploring microtonality and trying to break out of the 12-tone straitjacket, which I don't see a whole lot of musicians doing.

Of course speed is not an end in itself, it's just a useful techinique. I can't stand musical wanking.

Classical and jazz seem to be dead as mainstream art forms. I know there's good new stuff out there, but it's been relegated to the underground, so that's another thing jazz and metal have in common.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

Originally posted by Pricey:

Classical and jazz seem to be dead as mainstream art forms.

Why do you say that? Based upon the % of CDs sold?

THere's some fabulous jazz and classical going on today. Anyone who's heard jazz guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel or classical pianist Ling Ling would certainly agree.

Archtops players like Russell Malone, Peter Bernstein and Paul Bollenback are really making great jazz music.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time on an arrogant prick such as yourself.

I listen to ALL types of music and have done so since before the advent of MTV. My music collection has a little bit of everything. Good music transcends classifications and labels.

You are the chump. And you are a weak little peckerwood who likes to hide behind that keyboard flaunting that superiority complex.

I doubt very seriously that you would have the nuts to repeat those comments about my parents to my face.

You have to be one of the most closed mined people I've ever seen.

You sound exactly like those "metalheads" that you denounce. Same attitude, just a different scene.

So I'll continue to eat shit over here and thrive, and I'll be enjoying every minute of it thanking god I'm didn't end up like you.

I used to be a card carrying member of the metal scene. I used to be proud of that fact. I lived and breathed metal for almost twenty years.

And I don't care to have anything to do with that "scene" anymore. Why?

Because I got tired of dealing with attitudes like yours.

Fucking hypocrite.

Don't talk any more shit about my parents or I will make a complaint to the moderator of this forum. I didn't do anything to justify what is obviously harrasment based on your diminished mental capacity.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time on an arrogant prick such as yourself.

I listen to ALL types of music and have done so since before the advent of MTV. My music collection has a little bit of everything. Good music transcends classifications and labels.

You are the chump. And you are a weak little peckerwood who likes to hide behind that keyboard flaunting that superiority complex.

I doubt very seriously that you would have the nuts to repeat those comments about my parents to my face.

You have to be one of the most closed mined people I've ever seen.

You sound exactly like those "metalheads" that you denounce. Same attitude, just a different scene.

So I'll continue to eat shit over here and thrive, and I'll be enjoying every minute of it thanking god I'm didn't end up like you.

I used to be a card carrying member of the metal scene. I used to be proud of that fact. I lived and breathed metal for almost twenty years.

And I don't care to have anything to do with that "scene" anymore. Why?

Because I got tired of dealing with attitudes like yours.

Fucking hypocrite.

Don't talk any more shit about my parents or I will make a complaint to the moderator of this forum. I didn't do anything to justify what is obviously harrasment based on your diminished mental capacity.

Boo woo little Stranger, who instigated everything, gets a black eye and subsequently cries. Bullies don't get much sympathy on the playground.

I'll see if there's an IGNORE feature around here so I won't read your instigations any more(on).

Bye bye

I think Mr Soloway was right about this guy.

He was axed from harmony central because of

the way he acts.He love's to get a rize out

of everyone.He's really blowing it for

himself.There are a bunch of great guy's

in this forum,his loss :confused:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

While I can't argue that most younger people have had their view of music fed to them by the media, and I can't argue that if you play crap over and over, someone will buy it, I think you're forgetting that taste in music is a completely subjective statement.

Millions of 'crap' fans don't view their favourite music as crap. Just because it doesn't fit your idea of 'good' doesn't mean it's worthless. Jazz can learn something from rock and metal and country, just as metal and rock and country can learn something from jazz. Just because someone is an accomplished, well-trained jazz guitarist doesn't mean I should love them. I find a lot of jazz samey and soulless. I find a lot of metal samey and soulless. Being someone who truly appreciates all styles, I think that people on both sides of the argument look like fools. :D

So your going to take the easy way out. You lose. :D

Looks like you are the one with the black eye, not me. You haven't succesfully countered anything I've said. You just keep throwing childish insults at me.

You can ignore me, but the exchange speaks for itself. Your like the kid who loses so you take your ball and go home.

Maybe we should take a vote and see who won this little game. And who is the bully here? You are the one claiming to be mr super genius, insistent on the fact that you are right and everybody else is wrong. And anytime somebody provides a reasonable counterpoint to your psuedo superiority, you start throwing insults.

And I didn't instigate shit. You are the instigator. At which point did the insults start?

And you never answered the original question. Have you listened to any of the music you so quickly denounce as garbage, or do you just live your life based on whatever assumptions fit your narrow mind?

Jazz isn't a living, breathing genre like it once was. When I hear newer stuff, it doesn't have the "Zeitgeist" that jazz had in its heyday. It's missing a certain excitement. It's either too abtruse or too bland, or both.

I'm not trying to insult jazz in any way -- I know there is good stuff out there, but it's very rare and it's getting very little exposure.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

Jazz isn't a living, breathing genre like it once was. When I hear newer stuff, it doesn't have the "Zeitgeist" that jazz had in its heyday. It's missing a certain excitement. It's either too abtruse or too bland, or both.

I'm not trying to insult jazz in any way -- I know there is good stuff out there, but it's very rare and it's getting very little exposure.

Jazz hasn't been a big seller since the 1940s. I sure liked music from the 1950s and 1960s alot better than the "bop" period. The "post-bop" period to the majority of jazz fans is the golden age of jazz.

In the jazz guitar world today, you' be very hard pressed to top the aforementioned Kurt Rosewinkel. I B talkin' jazz biblical here. I'd say hearing him for the first time would be as exciting as hearing a young George Benson around 1968 or so.

Pat Metheny has been making great jazz since the mid70s. Same with sax man extrodinaire Mike Brecker. There's lots of great jazz out there, you just have to get off yer duff.

whoever said it cant be more right, jazz and classical are not mainstream, in any way. and yeah MTV affects many my age of 16. however, it depends on the person, i havent been affected by MTV, maybe by CMT but thats at least a more respectable station. but like i said earlier holy dog shit. this is pathetic, ive seen more mature tantrums from 10 year olds. this thread really needs to die. burn baby burn!
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

Originally posted by antimatter:

It's true, when you turn 13, these guys show up, and well, things are never the same. The will of MTV is all powerful

http://www.stdimension.de/Guide/sttos/tos022.jpg

Hey man, is that picture from Soilent Green? It's people you know. Soilent Green that is. :D:D
No. These are dudes from Sar Trek. The avatar is Landrew, a computer generated foe that Captain Kirk defeated. The guys with hoods are 'absorbing' those not 'of the body'.

All in fun.

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

It's true, when you turn 13, these guys show up, and well, things are never the same. The will of MTV is all powerful

http://www.stdimension.de/Guide/sttos/tos022.jpg

Hey man, is that picture from Soilent Green? It's people you know. Soilent Green that is. :D:D
No. These are dudes from Sar Trek. The avatar is Landrew, a computer generated foe that Captain Kirk defeated. The guys with hoods are 'absorbing' those not 'of the body'.

All in fun.

AH I knew it. Didn't want to say for fear of being typecast as some kind of nerd. Landrew was really a computer as I recall? Futurama lampooned this episode with a Landrew-esque computer that was leader of an Amazonian woman race.

[Zap Branigan] "Where are all the men?"

[bender] "They were all nagged to death"

This is silly! Why turn your name ('Mr. Nice') into an oxymoron with a reply like that?

Archived