Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with overloud guitarist!

Cup

Hi folks, a guitarist in our band recently bought a new vox amp. We've rehearsed twice since the arrival of his new toy, and the new amp sounds amazing...I know this because it's all I can hear!!

The guy can really play, he's bordering on amazing, but only in the context of an evenly mixed band. How do I get him to calm down? I know he's only had the amp less than a week and that he's probably just getting the feel of the settings etc, but the rest of the band is suffering.

He's usually a good band player, tasteful, considerate and usually open to suggestion. We've been in bands together for many years now, and under my guidance he's come on a long way. I don't want to fire him, but hints and jagged jokes have simply had no effect.

Help?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely you're not denying the positive outcome of my guiding hand over so many years! :D

Bon Jovi anyone?

p.s Grammar? Well I went to a poorly subsidised state school, grammar as I seem to remember was your luxury!

My bandmates have claimed to have this problem in the past, maybe you should talk to them. I turned my amp up louder and started singing LA-LA-LA-LA-LA when they pointed it out to me, so I haven't heard them mention it for a while and assume it isn't a problem anymore :cool:
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Have you tried just telling him that he's too loud?

He probably is just getting used to the new amp, but mentioning the problem to him (not hints or jokes) will make him aware of it. You said he's always been a good band player, so I'll bet that he'll owrk on adjusting the levels back where they need to be.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

It's more of wind up than anything else! :P

To be honest, with a pedal the tone is there at home volumes, although obviously you don't get the speaker interaction. Cup's just having some fun at my expense.

He could have told me straight that it was too loud, but where's the fun in that? I find the Vox quieter than the Deville at the sweet settings, but much thicker. Maybe that's what they mean by louder? :D

(In totally schnockered, wee-hours o'th'morn' pub voce-blotto)

"OH, DANN-Y-BOOOY; TH' ...oh, 'scuse me... OH, DU-CKY-BOOOY; THE PIPES, 'R'CAAA-LIN'; BUTCHOO-CAN'T HEAR-'EM; YER-AMP'S-TOO-LOOUUD;"

Is this an on-line reunion, or what?

(Forgive me, I love any excuse to belt out "Danny Boy" at the top of my lungs, real or virtual.)

Seriously, is it a matter of volume, or newfound aural "presence"?

If the former, the routes to taming it would be something like an attenuator (which you have obviously had experience with, I can read it in the Tea-leaves http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon12.gif) and/or experimentation with... you had to see this coming... valves.

If the latter, if a more robust and Stentorian thrust is coming from Teahead's corner, I suggest an old but well-maintained Ampeg SVT (or two) with the appropriate 8x10 cab(s) for you, Cup; that should then leave all of the problem to poor Headlow!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

This thread, although started in jest, has had a positive result. It inspired Cup and myself to visit a local dealers today, and it seems his SVT will be back with us in no time!

I also sold my Hotplate, YJs and a couple of stomp boxes while I was there to try and reclaim some of the money spent on the Vox.

Unfortunately I lost £200, ($400) in cash this morning, so I'm still down at the end of the day. Some lucky so and so is having the best Friday of their life with my money! :mad:

At least I've got the Vox, eh? Tea.

Well, I didn't know that Cup played an SVT! Sorry to have been so poorly researched, there.

Teahead- what happened?!? How'd you lose the dough? Sorry to hear that, I hope that somehow you find it, or that $800.00 somehow floats into your possession!

More than a lucky guess with the SVT! When he was buying his Ric he decided that it would be wasted without an SVT to play with. So he got an SVT 3 and ampeg 1X15 cab which sounds flat out fantastic.

Unfortunately it hasn't always been like that but the important thing is that it's back in action now. I think it will help Cup to get over the waves of envy brought on by tube overdrive crashing around him every night in practice!

As for the money? I don't know how I could have been so stupid! Gone, lost in the blink of an eye. No roulette wheel needed, no strippers involved, no liqor to blame, not even a pedal to covet for weeks, no nothing! Just lost.

Still got my health though. Tea. :)

yeah revoleads and my old band would have this problem, with each of us. one day drums, next bass, then me, then him. we would all just play louder until it sounded horrible and pissed off the neighbors. really i suggest just sayin shut up. thats what we ended up doin, if one of us was to loud the rest would just tell them to turn down.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Sorry to hear that, Tea'!

I think that Cup would find an oldy (Ampeg SVT) with the old, original 8x10 cab) to be a sheer delight and a perfect compliment to his Ric. "Old school" rumble!

We looked at a large Ampeg head in the store, it was brushed aluminum, looked about fifteen years old. I think it may have been the model you're referring to. I would love him to get an 8x10 cab, but then being a noise junkie I've had aspirin nightcaps for the past two evenings! :D

Hey, seriously, I hope you- none of you- have suffered hearing damage, or continue to.

It DOESN'T come back. Ever.

I'm fortunate enough to have suffered only a little, but that's bad enough! I have just the most borderline tinnitus (sp?)- actually always did, since childhood, and didn't really know it for a long time; I just thought things sounded the same to everyone. All that ringing in the background; though, like I say, it's "borderline" and not too bad for me. But I need to keep it that way!

I've also suffered a loss, a "notch" at about 5k in my right ear; the drummer's set, cymbals and all, were to my right in days gone by, practicing in a horrible acoustic environment (all concrete, steel, and glass, in a warehouse full of steel shelves). This was then exacerbated by various high-noise work environments over the years.

Again, once lost, or damaged, it's that way (or worse) for the rest of your life...

I think I've always been a little hearing impaired. I certainly empathise with your tinnitus story, I've experienced that tunnel beeping for as long as I can remember. I was tested every six months in school until age fourteen because of it. My girlfriend complains constantly of my "pigs whisper," which allows others to hear what I consider to be private discussions.

Here's a good test, if you have a watch with one of those green back-lit displays, you may have noticed it makes a small noise when activated? I can't hear it on my right side at all, no matter how close I hold it. On my left I can hear it from a few feet away, but on my right nothing!

Funny thing is it's my left ear that gets my amp and the drummer, probably because I can't hear them with my right.

Tea.

From Caevan

I think that Cup would find an oldy (Ampeg SVT) with the old, original 8x10 cab) to be a sheer delight and a perfect compliment to his Ric. "Old school" rumble![/QB]

How the F&%k am I meant to carry an 8 by 10, the rest of the lazy f$£ks in the band hardly help carrying the drum kit up the stairs to practice!

Would be nice though, just to serve up a little bit of revenge! :)

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

How the F&%k am I meant to carry an 8 by 10, the rest of the lazy f$£ks in the band hardly help carrying the drum kit up the stairs to practice!

I used to have a 6 x 10" cabinet. Never again ¡¡¡ :mad:

Archived