Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What gauge strings do you use for electric?

Guitr777

I'm kind of curious what gauge strings are the most popular. I started with .009's and then years later migrated to .010's. Now I'm using .011's and I just love the fact that my guitar has more sustain, bottom end and stays in tune better.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
on my gibson (345) i use a "10" set on the bottom, (that is low E 46 A 36 D 26) and an 11 for the high E 13 for the B and a 17 Plain for the G during the winter ( i play outside sometimes in Florida ) i use a complete 10 set or even 9 to save my fingers
Those who can,do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

I've got DR .009's on the Raven. That's my easy, practice set up.

My calluses are built up now, and I'm goin' try the Martin real soon, but she needs new strings. I've got a stash of Martin strings in various gages from when I worked with a guy that was a Martin dealer; and I've also got DR Pure Blues (.010), that I bought a while ago, that I'm goin' try first.

I'm going to go to (stay with?) .010's (Fenders) on the Strat.

When (if) I ever get an LP clone, I think I'm goin' try .011's on it.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

.011" through .050" on "regular" electric (DR Pure Blues);

A mixed-set of .012", .015", .024"(w), .028", .038", .052" for open-D (DR PB's again);

Either flatwound or "small wire-wrap" round-wound jazz strings from Thomastik-Infeld in anything from .012"s through .014"s if I string up a bona fide jazz-guitar (George Benson and Herb Ellis can't be wrong!);

And either .013"s (DR Sunbeams) or .014" through .059" (Martin Marquis) for a flat-top acoustic. (I know, you said "electric", but I'd probably be amplifying and effects-processing them, anyways.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've been using Thomastik power brites 11-52 for a few years now. I used to keep 13's on a couple of guitars, but I've gotten lazy. I found a big difference when I switched from 9's (hey, it was the 80's) to 11's, in terms of tone and quality of sound and everything.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Angus Young, Billy Gibbons, and Brian Setzer all play .009's, so I'm in good company. :thu: I think the whole thing about heavier strings = better tone is bullshit, but that's just my opinion. :)

In reality, setzer play 10, 11 and 12 depending on the gretsch he is playing, and what song he is doing

i play 10 and 11

Originally posted by did:

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Angus Young, Billy Gibbons, and Brian Setzer all play .009's, so I'm in good company. :thu: I think the whole thing about heavier strings = better tone is bullshit, but that's just my opinion. :)

In reality, setzer play 10, 11 and 12 depending on the gretsch he is playing, and what song he is doing

i play 10 and 11

Well, that's not what Setzer said in his interview with Guitar Player Mag. He said .009-.042, but he might have changed since then. That was the interview from when The Dirty Boogie came out, and I know he's started using several new guitars in addition to his '59 6120. My point was that Brian's tone was great with those light strings.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Ok, i got the info from brian setzer guitar lick it may be wrong but thats fine.but hollowbody guitar like gretsch are better sounding with heavier gauge string.They just sound better.but 10 is good and no too hard on the old fingers.My hollow body ibanez with tvjones filtertron sound like rubber with 9 and is perfect with 11.

My fender is very bad with 8 ,ok with 9 and great with 10.

But that is me

Archived