Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Is Dead

Funk Jazz

what a great band! jimmy herring on guitar, alphonso johnson on bass, t lavitz on keys, some jackass on drums (just kidding, can't think of his name).

it's a cool idea too, they do jazz fusion versions of grateful dead tunes. get it? jazz is dead :D

i think steve kimock plays guitar for them now, they might even be defunct. i have some amazing bootlegs though!!!! jimmy herring just absolutely shreds.

anyone else like these guys?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by funk_jazz:

what a great band! jimmy herring on guitar, alphonso johnson on bass, t lavitz on keys, some jackass on drums (just kidding, can't think of his name).

it's a cool idea too, they do jazz fusion versions of grateful dead tunes. get it? jazz is dead :D

i think steve kimock plays guitar for them now, they might even be defunct. i have some amazing bootlegs though!!!! jimmy herring just absolutely shreds.

anyone else like these guys?

I saw them in NYC back in 1998 at the Bottom Line.

Personally I think the time long overdue for likes of Jimmy Herring and Kimmock to stop riding the coatails of Cherry Garcia. Both are vastly superior players in need of their OWN audience, instead of a stoned out audi-dunce. Not that there's anything wrong with the "stoned" part, just the "dunce" part

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Never heard of them, but I like The Greatful Dead. I really liked Workingman's Dead, I guess because it's probably the most blues & country based album I've heard from The Dead.

I love Truckin' and Uncle John's Band.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

you should check them out bluestrat, you would be floored by jimmy herrings guitar. he's a berklee guy that plays more like holdsworth meets duane allman, not very "jazzy."

he has monster chops though!!!! oh my!

Actually I'm not wild about his hollowbody PRS. Damn ugly looking POS.

I would say he's as "jazzy" as any fusion player.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

The "jackass on drums" is none other than Billy Cobham. :)

Yep, right you is Doc, probably the best musician in that band too. Perhaps my all time favorite drummer.

T Lavitz was good on keyboards, but Mr Saunders and his Jerry stories was a bit too much for me to take.

A quick deadhead anecdote. I was coerced into seeing a Dead show at the Meadowlands in NJ. I went because the opening band was TRAFFIC! The place was only half full for Traffic, but when the Dead came out and played "The Low Spark..." the crowd went nuts. Where oh where did those collective brain cells go?

Archived