Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Telecaster Replacement Pickups

Leon_

Hi:

I'm going to replace the pickups in my telecaster, I'm thinking on either the 1.Hot Rails Seymour Duncan, 2.EMG, or 3.Dimarzio...I'm not quite sure what to do...I have stock pickups in the guitar right now..want something that's more hotter, sustain...I'd like to have a humbucker in the bridge position, but this would require a routing job...I'm looking for a pickup(s) which will give me a great rock tone...but have the clarity of the famous tele sound...Please share suggestions !

Cheers !

Leon

www.leonmaclellan.com

www.guitar9.com/leonmaclellan.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if SD makes a JB jr. in a Tele bridge pickup, but that would be a good choice. If not, their Tele Hot Rails would be good, although you might want to reduce the bass on your amp to keep it from sounding muddy. I'd also want a 500k or 1M volume control with that pickup.

As far as neck pickups, a Quarter Pound Strat pickup would be good if you like a classic single coil sound, only hotter.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I installed a hot rails in a Yamaha Tele copy. For rock sounds fantastic, it's tight, midrangey and HOT. It can also be splitted if you want a more classic tele single coil. Clean it's pretty dark, very midrangey and sounds nothing like a bridge tele. I reccomend that you listen to the samples on Seymour Duncan's site, they are VERY informative. If I were to to do it again I would choose one of the stacked models. They have great output, yet they still sound like a tele. The other humbucker option would be the little 59, wich, IMO sounds a bit muddier than the Hot Rails. Overall great distortion, punchy mids, tight low end. But no Tele chime.

Dragos

if you want it to sound like a tele why in the world would you put a 'bucker in it? :rolleyes:

the seymour vintage stacked sound fantastic. you get all the tele twang, very low noise, and higher output. plus it will sound like a tele.

isn't the whole point of playing a tele to get that bridge single coil twaaaaaaanng?

i love tele's (have one tattooed on my shoulder) and love that real deal tone.

southern drawl: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

if you want it to sound like a tele why in the world would you put a 'bucker in it? :rolleyes:

the seymour vintage stacked sound fantastic. you get all the tele twang, very low noise, and higher output. plus it will sound like a tele.

isn't the whole point of playing a tele to get that bridge single coil twaaaaaaanng?

i love tele's (have one tattooed on my shoulder) and love that real deal tone.

southern drawl: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I agree, and wouldn't dream of changing that bridge pickup in my Tele (unless it was broke). More slice than the Ginsu factory.... :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Harmonic Design Super-90 for Tele in the bridge, coupled with a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus for Tele in the neck.

what a combo...it is like having a P-90 in the bridge, but still with Tele twang if needed, and the Vintage Plus just sounds like a Tele neck pup, but bigger, bolder, fuller...and none of the muddy sound of an overwound pup.

no, not for metal, but if you need classic to hard rock and raunchy grind, they deliver in big ways.

I loved recording a Tele that had the combo...just awesome tone through a Vox AC30TB and Marshall JTM-45.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived