Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender bender blunder?

skipclone 1

recently, in shopping for a new guitar, I played over half a dozen Fender Japan strats, including several solid-walnut body models that were really beautiful. I really wanted to like them. But I couldn`t deal with the neck, especially on the upper frets. I don`t remember noticing this on U.S.A. made strats, but since the neck is radial but neither the nut nor the bridge are, it effectively raises the strings away from the fretboard. One of my pet peeves is high strings- I couldn`t deal with the way they played. I tried at least three different models, they all had the same problem. Is this just a bad setup from the factory, or are strat players used to it?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably just a bad setup.

nearly any guitar can be setup to play well, but it's not very often you find a good setup on the showroom floor.

if i'm serious about a guitar, i'll ask the shop to set it up for me. if they aren't interested, they probably don't need my business.

It sounds like the necks you've tried had a "compound radius", meaning they change radius as you move up the neck. Apparently Fender's been moving in this directly lately.

It's intention is to allow you to bend in the upper frets without "fretting out" like you would with a consistantly "flatter" neck radius... while at the same time keeping it "flatter" on the upper frets for ease of chording.

Of course if YOU owned the guitar you could adjust the string height to better match the curve of the neck... or just stay away from the compound radius necks completely.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

hmm...well I would certainly have to make some adjustments-I just don`t understand why ALL the ones I tried had the same thing happening. Anyway, too late now, I made another choice. If I get LOTS of extra cash, one of those walnut jobbers would be my great.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived