Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you angle your pick?

sourmash

Once again I have hit an obstacle and am really having a hard time getting past this. I have been taking lessons and I really am learning alot about reading and general playing. This week I had some stuff to work on that has chords consisting of like say the 2-3-4 middle strings. My teacher showed me a way to learn how to play this with where you basically dig deep in the strings to get it to hang up on the say 1st string in order to avoid what he said many do that pulls the pick away from the strings so as to pass over the 1st, says it cuts down on the volume of the strings in the chord series. I hope I have described that correctly enough. This new technique is really giving me fits and I am wondering if it has to do with the angle that I have been used to for picking chords? Anything you can give me to help this out will be much appreciated. I have been practicing this technique like a mofo but it is really getting me frustrated. When I try to do it this way, sounds like arpeggios. Maybe a lighter pick will help? I generally use 1.00mm.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to get straight what you said. Basically, it's that your pick is bouncing a bit too much, so it's not hitting the strings smoothly, like a chord, but jaggedly, like arpeggios. I think? :x

Lighter picks would help, I think, but I don't like them, because they sound a bit too clicky for me, and they're too flexible. It also makes playing lead stuff harder. I prefer heavier picks, but I don't use the very pointy end, I use one of the two rounded ends. Or, if I have them - and I usally I don't - I prefer the more triangular jazz-type picks.

Good luck!

For some licks...I like to angle the pick so that I'm plucking the string with the edge of the pick more than the flat side.

When I do this, I also grab more of the pick than I would when using the flat side…so that very little of the tip is showing from between my forefinger and thumb.

What this does, is it gets a lot more overtones out of the...it's a very chunky, bluesy sound. You can't use this style/hold if you are going for real long, wailing sustains… 'cuz it tends to block the strings and they can't vibrate as freely...but it's a real nice variation when you go from the more open, sustain kind of picking to this very chunky and rich in harmonics...almost semi-muted sound.

Of course...I know you were asking more about chord playing...but I just thought I'd throw this up. :)

I'm sure other people use this "edge-picking" also...maybe someone has a better explanation of it...

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I took a good look at how I am working chords and I did exactly what my teacher was trying to prevent me from doing before this having to hang the pick on the last string or just not follow through with the strumming motion. Whenever I had to play a chord that involved the middle strings and not following through on the last ones, I pulled the pick up and out in that motion in order to skip over the strings that I was avoiding. It seems I have a way of dragging the pick while attempting to do this new technique that sounds horrible. It could be that this lesson is just something that I cannot overcome in a weeks time. I may have drank a little too much too night to communicate exactly what I am experiencing. Tommorow I will try a lighter pick and see if that helps out any. Thanks again guys.

I personally use a .83 pick, sometimes a 1.0.

It sounds like the teacher is trying to correct you from strumming at an angle out away from the strings, instead of down.

Could it be that you are actually digging too deep? You may also have a death grip on the pick, and that's why it sounds so choppy. Try the same technique, but holding the pick firmly, and letting it rock in your fungers as it goes over EACH string, not skipping any that you are trying to play.

Just some thoughts. Keep us posted, you are probably not the only person with this problem.

Karl

Skynyrd fan forever!

What I do (if you're interested) is play with the edge, not the tip the side bit, you get a softer, less clicky sound plus an extra edge (the other side of the pick) and i angle my pick at the lower cutaway. Dunlop 1.5mm

I've seen some strange picking grips and its all about comfort (I know thats obvious to say)

Archived