Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on Metheny?????

Jazz Guitar

I love Pat Metheny. Not too many guitarists become known as leaders in jazz.

However, I haven't liked much of his music since 1995, be it with the PM Group or on his own. Certainly Pat has had his "weird" periods in the past, I can't remember such a long period of time though between recordings I really liked.

Want to see some great Metheny? The video "More Travels" is superb.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a huge fan of his. Not everything is great and even his best records are spotty. "Speaking of Now", as far as I know his last PMG CD I love. Now when I say I LOVE it, this means there are one or two tracks for me that are worth the price of admission. I don't know any CD I like all or even most of. But I must have played "The Gathering Sky" from that CD a hundred times.

Last year a group I play with did a Pat Metheny concert. Two sets of music by Metheny. Whta an eye opener. Being the only guitarist the burden was on me to prepare most of the music. He is a phenomenal composer, regardless of what you may feel about his guitar playing.

But he's a great player too. I saw him first back in 1975 when he was a member of Gary Burtons group. I've been a fan ever since. Never heard anything like that. I waited and was pleased as punch when "Bright Size Life" was released. Really opened up the world for modern, post bop, post fusion jazz guitarists.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I like Metheny a lot too. Bright Size Life is one of my all-time favorites recordings... OK, so maybe it has something to do with the presence of pre-Weather Report Jaco Pastorius. Since the second or third Pat Metheny Group album I found myself liking his fusion direction less and less; in many ways it became for a blueprint for new age-y jazz with no teeth to it. But he's a fantastic player and musician, no doubt about that. I really enjoy when he steps out of the Group bag, like on Song X with Ornette Coleman, Charlie Hayden, Jack DeJohnette and Denardo Coleman, his trio date Question and Answer with Roy Haynes and Dave Holland, Pat Metheny and Jim Hall, his duo with Jim Hall, and I Can See Your House From Here, his album with John Scofield, Steve Swallow, and Bill Stewart.

I think he's a great player and musician, but I prefer classic "Be-Bop", "Cool", and early post-"Cool"/pre-"Modern" Jazz stylings to the sort of "New-Age/World-Music" vibe prevalent in much of what I've heard from him. However, once in a while something will jump out and really grab me in his music.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by AlChuck:

I like Metheny a lot too. Bright Size Life is one of my all-time favorites recordings... OK, so maybe it has something to do with the presence of pre-Weather Report Jaco Pastorius. Since the second or third Pat Metheny Group album I found myself liking his fusion direction less and less; in many ways it became for a blueprint for new age-y jazz with no teeth to it. But he's a fantastic player and musician, no doubt about that. I really enjoy when he steps out of the Group bag, like on Song X with Ornette Coleman, Charlie Hayden, Jack DeJohnette and Denardo Coleman, his trio date Question and Answer with Roy Haynes and Dave Holland, Pat Metheny and Jim Hall, his duo with Jim Hall, and I Can See Your House From Here, his album with John Scofield, Steve Swallow, and Bill Stewart.

I agree the latest PM Group CDs are very "new age-ish". The thrill is gone, as well the Brazilian aspect, which imparted so much life to their songs.

My first Metheny record was "Water Colors", the first to feature Lyle Mays. The famous "White CD" was a huge jazz success, circa 1978, with "Phase Dance" and "San Lorenzo".

Damn his archtop tone was very bright back in the 70s. He probably hates that now.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I think he's a great player and musician, but I prefer classic "Be-Bop", "Cool", and early post-"Cool"/pre-"Modern" Jazz stylings to the sort of "New-Age/World-Music" vibe prevalent in much of what I've heard from him. However, once in a while something will jump out and really grab me in his music.

I love Metheny's work on some of the more recent Mike Brecker CDs. They do a killer rendition of "Song for Balboa".

I think of him as a modern Gil Evans who really plays. Some of his arrangements with help from Mays and Steve Rodby are very good. Full almost big band without the trombones, french horns, sax and trumpets.

I love the fact that he's in command of the whole range of his creative endeavors, like Chick Corea. Hving a full management and production team to look beyond the mere boundaries of an instrument and trio or quartet.

I think it's unfortunate that some of these guys get labeled the new age thing. Like Jarrett. He came before George Winston and that ilk. The copies cheapened the experience. But none of them are new age. They pre date that.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

My single favorite living musician (possibly all-time favorite). Bar none. Any instrument.

("Zero Tolerance for Silence"...OK, I can overlook that one)

When the PMG "white album" came out, my guitar teacher told me to just buy it. I'd never heard of Metheny before. That record just floored me.

Something about the Metheny/Mays compositions just hit me in a way that little else does. They have a unique harmonic vocabulary. We all have access to the same chords when composing, right? So why does it seem like Pat & Lyle have there own private stock of timbral colors?

one of my step sons is pat's age

they lived in the same 'hood

story is...pat was your standard young guitar geek...school got let out...the rest of the kids would go do what kids do after school...pat would go home & play...every day

this seems to be the common thread among those who "make it" as players

in numerous interviews i've read:

hammett, vai, satriani, etc. etc.

they all went through the woodshed period where that's all they did 24/7 for an extended period of time

everything has it's price...their aint no free lunch

dr

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

Originally posted by daddy ray:

story is...pat was your standard young guitar geek...school got let out...the rest of the kids would go do what kids do after school...pat would go home & play...every day

they all went through the woodshed period where that's all they did 24/7 for an extended period of time

dr

Well Daddy Ray, not too many people would mention the likes of Hammett, Vai, and Satriani in a Metheny thread.

I will be honest and do not think I have listened to enough of his work but what I did hear I was not impressed. In fact I didn't like it at all. I was surprised at what I listened to and what I read about him and the praise he gets because what I listened to was just awful.

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

dr

Well Daddy Ray, not too many people would mention the likes of Hammett, Vai, and Satriani in a Metheny thread.
then you obviously miss my point sir:

reguardless of what type music they play

the same dedication is required to achieve the level of compentance & understanding necessary to be recognized as one of the best

didn't mean to offend you by mentioning a group of lowly rock players on a hoyty-toyty jazz thread

i love it all from benny goodman to black sabath & everything in between

i have over 200 cds in my collection with equally as many jazz players as rock

so much wonderful music out there just can't limit myself to just one type...tooooo confining

dr

have fun now!

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

I will be honest and do not think I have listened to enough of his work but what I did hear I was not impressed. In fact I didn't like it at all. I was surprised at what I listened to and what I read about him and the praise he gets because what I listened to was just awful.

Its rather obvious you haven't heard much then. I suggest you listen to "Third Wind" with Metheny on synth-ax.

Its rather obvious you haven't heard much then. I suggest you listen to "Third Wind" with Metheny on synth-ax.
it's in my collection...excellent

have fun now!

it's in my collection...excellent...but then so is bloomfield, thelonious, the dregs, testament, shadows fall, bauhaus, meshuggah & so on

have fun now!

it's in my collection...excellent
The live rendition from the video "More Travels" has to be the best version. Very impressive indeed, and you get to see his fingers!

Pat does some great playing on other musician's projects, too:

Joni Mitchell "Shadows and Light". What more can be said about an album that's held it such high regard?

Jack DeJohnette's "Parallel Realities" is Jack, Metheny, and Herbie Hancock (bass was played mostly on a Synclavier, the live tour added Dave Holland). It's not a monumental album, but I like it a lot.

Joshua Redman "Wish"

Bruce Hornsby "Harbor Lights"

Michael Brecker "Nearness Of You: The Ballad Book"

One thing I like about Pat Metheny, beyond his playing, is that he is such a positive guy, and brings that to his performance.

It might be true that the arc of his popularity is a little lower these days, but that could even be a welcome thing for him personally.

One of my favorites of his is "Still Life Talking". I can put that on and be transported somewhere else with the music. THAT, for me, makes it a stress relieving, healing album of music.

I also have to give him credit for finding his own tone. Whether he "invented" that tone or not, I just like it. I usually prefer a good blues tone. Some of the players going for the 'bog box' jazz tone can sound indistinct to me, and some of the fusion players sometimes sound a little edgy and overly processed. But Pat's tone is usually big warm.

"music heals"

Hey guys,

I've got a lot of his material. Not only is he a great player, I think he is also a great writer. I particularly like Imaginary Day. I like his old stuff to like Bright Sized Life.

I have a lot of his newer stuff too (and I like it a lot) but I will say that even though I could not pick out a single note for critisizm his sound has changed over the years and to me sounds a little clinical or sterile.

14 Grammy awards and counting.

Definately Pat has written himself into the history books,

Best,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Last year for our Metheny tribute concert we played:

Bright Size Life,

Jaco,

The Bat,

Pretty Scattered

Straight On Red,

So It May Secretly Begin,

Last Train Home,

James,

Better Days Ahead,

5-5-7,

Trigonometry,

Antonia,

Question and Answer

I know I've forgetton some tunes. These were just the tunes I prepared for the band. Whew! What fun. Unfortunately we only had 2 1/2 rehearsals, but with parts written out well and great musicianship we were just about able to pull it off.

Our normal group is a 5 piece - Tenor sax, piano, guitar (me, of course!), bass (standup mainly, and electric) and drums. We augmented the group with a percussionist and another keyboard player.

It was great to be able to do this because I was able to musically share what Metheny has meant to me all these years. The breadth of his music. I mean from Pretty Scattered and Trigonometry to James and Jaco is a big space! And ALL of them were great fun to play!!!

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Last year for our Metheny tribute concert we played:

Bright Size Life,

Jaco,

The Bat,

Pretty Scattered

Straight On Red,

So It May Secretly Begin,

Last Train Home,

James,

Better Days Ahead,

5-5-7,

Trigonometry,

Antonia,

Question and Answer

I know I've forgetton some tunes. These were just the tunes I prepared for the band. Whew! What fun. Unfortunately we only had 2 1/2 rehearsals, but with parts written out well and great musicianship we were just about able to pull it off.

Our normal group is a 5 piece - Tenor sax, piano, guitar (me, of course!), bass (standup mainly, and electric) and drums. We augmented the group with a percussionist and another keyboard player.

It was great to be able to do this because I was able to musically share what Metheny has meant to me all these years. The breadth of his music. I mean from Pretty Scattered and Trigonometry to James and Jaco is a big space! And ALL of them were great fun to play!!!

Henry, I had no idea you did all that. Good show old bean.

Archived