Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Les Paul Faded

kitaristi0

I've been checking out a Gibson Les Paul Faded guitar at my local guitar store and I've been thinking of buying it. Does anyone have any experiences or knowledge about these guitars?

I can't afford a real Les Paul, so I was wondering should I get the Faded Les Paul (which here in Finland is about 800 Euros) or should I buy an Epiphone Les Paul (about 500)? I'll eventually probably upgrade to a real Les Paul, but that won't be happening in atleast 5 years. What do you think?

I've been playing guitar for 10 years.

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/517536.jpg

Carved mahogany top and mahogany back

Mahogany neck, '59 rounded Les Paul

Rosewood fingerboard

Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar

Chrome hardware

Alnico 5 BurstBucker Pro pickups

2 volume and 2 tone knobs, 3-way switch

Hardshell case 899.99

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by kitaristi0:

I can't afford a real Les Paul, so I was wondering should I get the Faded Les Paul (which here in Finland is about 800 Euros) or should I buy an Epiphone Les Paul (about 500)? I'll eventually probably upgrade to a real Les Paul,

Who says that's not a REAL Les Paul?

Sure is in My Book :thu:

Friend of a friend showed up at one of our Jam sessions with his brand new faded...Superb Guitar...though the neck was a little too rounded for my tastes (My old 74 Deluxe had the thinner 60's neck) But it plyed as well as any new $2000 LP.

LynnG

Lynn G

I wouldn't worry too much about whether some guitar's a real Les Paul or not... unless you've got to have one. There are plenty of great alternatives. I'd feel great if I could get anything similar to one that's built well. The Epi Les Pauls are good, and the Elitist series are great pro quality instruments for a reasonable price. Most folks in the audience really wouldn't notice. ;)

Anything remotely similar made by Samick, Fernandes, Hamer, Ibanez and Yamaha would work for me.

I've been checking out a Gibson Les Paul Faded guitar at my local guitar store and I've been thinking of buying it. Does anyone have any experiences or knowledge about these guitars?

I can't afford a real Les Paul, so I was wondering should I get the Faded Les Paul (which here in Finland is about 800 Euros) or should I buy an Epiphone Les Paul (about 500)? I'll eventually probably upgrade to a real Les Paul, but that won't be happening in atleast 5 years. What do you think?

I've been playing guitar for 10 years.

Consider an SG Special.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Dude, you've got time. If you really want Les Paul, save your cash for a Les Paul. Don't be in a hurry to spend your money.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Rosewood fingerboard

Chrome hardware

Hardshell case 899.99

dark which les paul is that? i seen the regular faded models but they don,t have the carved top.

I would go with a Faded model Gibson (either Les Paul of SG) over the Epiphone models. I believe the Faded Gibson models are still made in the USA to about the same standards as the higher priced Gibsons. They have cut some costs cosmetically (e.g. the Faded finish) but they play and sound very well.

I actually liked the look of the faded Brown SG I tried at the store and if I had an extra $600 at the time, I would have bought it.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Rosewood fingerboard

Chrome hardware

Hardshell case 899.99

dark which les paul is that? i seen the regular faded models but they don,t have the carved top.
In the new musicians friend.I want it bad! :cool:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Bill,

Dude, you've got time. If you really want Les Paul, save your cash for a Les Paul. Don't be in a hurry to spend your money.
I must disagree. He needs somethin' to play now. If he buys the right thing, he can get his money back on it (and maybe then some) when he sells it to get the "real" thing. I understand (but do not necessarily agree) with the need for the "real thing".

One thing to keep in mind about the LP Faded DC, it's got P-90's instead of the standard LP HB's.

There's the Tokai, Burny, Weddington, Orville.

I've been doing some tracking (and recording) on ebay.

Out of 16 Burnys listed, 13 of them were sold at an average of 422 USD with an average S&H (from Far East) of 117 USD.

Of 14 listed Tokais, 5 sold at an average of 731 USD with S&H of 100 USD.

Orvilles, 8 listed, 5 sold at average of 597 USD w/ S&H of 102 USD. Mostly from the 1990's.

I've only seen 3 Yamaha Weddingtons for sale on ebay (I've got auto email notification for that search) since 12/19/03.

One, with a SIGNIFICANT body crack, went for 140.49 USD w/ 50 S&H (US48).

The second, a really nice looking near mint axe, started at 750 USD with a "Buy It Now" of 1,000 USD and ended early. I think he didn't realize he had to set a reserve and backed out early.

The third one was a nice clean transparent red with DiMarzio pups that started at 250 USD, "Buy It Now" of 450 USD. The bidding ended at 320 USD with the reserve not being meant. If I had any money, I would have gone after this one. Free S&H (US48) with BIN, 35 USD if not, and I'd guess a reserve of 400 USD.

I also saw a Yamaha "SL400 Studio Lord" that was a "Lawsuit Era" LP clone that looked like a good buy that went for 265 USD w/ S&H of 109 USD.

Me? I'd go for a Burny or Weddington. It'd be nice to try one first though. OR, maybe a used Hamer Studio, they average 712 USD, a Studio Custom (REALLY nice lookers) 925 USD.

My 2.57185447713247891 US cents.

Dave the Mathematician, and generally obsessive person.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Dave,

Where does it say that he needs something to play now?

All the cash manuvering aside, if Maggie wants a Snickers, and you sell her a Reese's, she may eat it, but she still wants a Snickers. If she wants a Snickers, even Godiva chocolates are not going to do the trick. Again, they'll get eaten, but Maggie still wants a Snickers.

If I want a gold top Les Paul with P-90s, I may enjoy my gold top with humbuckers, and my gold top with mini-buckers, but eventually I'm going to buy the Les Paul gold top with P-90s. From a financial point of view, I can reach that goal sooner by saving the money for it, than by spending that money on other guitars.

I'm working under the premise that the poster knows what he wants. Others are working under the premise that he can be talked into wanting something else. This may or may not be true. I know that in my case, if I want something, THAT is what I want. (It's not a matter of logic. If it were, all cars would be monkey-shit brown.) For me, money spent elsewhere is wasted.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Thanks everyone for your advice. I had another look around my local store and I'm definately starting to consider buying the Les Paul Faded. Maybe one day I'll have enough money for one of the 2000 Euro US Les Pauls.

Do you know where the Faded LPs are built? From somewhere I got the impression that their made in the US but the guy who owns the store says he doesn't know where they are made. Not the best guitar salesman ever.. :)

When I said "real" Les Paul I meant one of the 2000 Euro ones.

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

A good friend of mine has a LP Faded in TV yellow. Dual humbuckers, flat top, nice finish. The neck feels good but a little 'different" to me - it's satin in finish (not glossy) but REALLY grainy - almost like you can feel the pores in the wood. Not bad, but a little strange to me. Oh, and th4 back of the neck is fairly flat, but with heavy curve to the shoulders. Not my favorite neck shape, but it plays okay and sounds great, and I imagine if you're comfortable with the neck shape, it will be fine for you. He hasn't had any problems with his.

I do believe they're USA made.

Another client has a brand new higher end Les Paul with some of the best flame maple I've EVER seen on the top. Drop dead beautiful, and it sounds - and plays great too. Worth the extra $1,600? Hard to say - they're both cool guitars in their own way.

If you need a LP sound NOW, then get the Faded... but if you've already got a good axe and can afford to wait, I would save up for what you 'really' want.

bpark@prorec.com,

From a financial point of view, I can reach that goal sooner by saving the money for it, than by spending that money on other guitars.
If I buy a used Burny in a good deal for $300 plus $100 S&H for a total of $400, play it for five years and sell it for $400; how does it take me longer to reach to goal for the amount of the "real" Les Paul?

Dave the Dubious

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

If I buy a used Burny in a good deal for $300 plus $100 S&H for a total of $400, play it for five years and sell it for $400; how does it take me longer to reach to goal for the amount of the "real" Les Paul?

Dave the Dubious[/QB]

I bet that it you don't buy the other axe, you get the Les Paul in less than a year, maybe a year and a half.

Bill

Steve Martin

"...the guy who owns the store says he doesn't know where they are made. Not the best guitar salesman ever... "

I'm glad to see that we in the US aren't the only ones to get those kind of sales-guys!

I take it that you've tried a Faded Les Paul out, there in that store? How did you like it? What did you like about it, and what did you not like?

It's worth noting that Les Paul himself used to prefer LP's with flat-tops instead of the "violin carve"; also note that the original Les Paul Custom models hade all-mahogany construction, without the maple "cap". And they were intended to be the top of the line, premier model in the Les Paul line.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

"...the guy who owns the store says he doesn't know where they are made. Not the best guitar salesman ever... "

I'm glad to see that we in the US aren't the only ones to get those kind of sales-guys!

I take it that you've tried a Faded Les Paul out, there in that store? How did you like it? What did you like about it, and what did you not like?

It's worth noting that Les Paul himself used to prefer LP's with flat-tops instead of the "violin carve"; also note that the original Les Paul Custom models hade all-mahogany construction, without the maple "cap". And they were intended to be the top of the line, premier model in the Les Paul line.

Then they became "Les Paul Juniors". Then came a double cutaway junior.

Some of the 1958 Les Paul Standards were made from korina wood, with a maple top. Those are perhaps the most valuable Les Pauls of all time. The Custom Shop made a few Class 5 LPs from korina recently. Very very expensive though, I think the street price on them was over 5 grand.

I loves korina btw. My SG Standard is made from it.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

(Running away with kitaristi0's thread)

Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy-

I never read or heard that before, that some '58 Les Paul "standards" were made with korina (and maple) instead of mahogany. That's very interesting!

Wouldn't that tend to bring out a little more upper-midrange and bite and definition?

Also, are you talking about '58 "sunbursts" or "goldtops", or some of both here? Not that it's too terribly important, just curious!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived