Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What's everyone do for a job/living/career?

revolead

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play connect the dots all day....designing printed circuit boards. I'm kinda looking for a new employer now though. My current employer is farming more and more of our hardware projects offshore and I really don't wanna still be here when there are no projects left! :eek:
None more black.

Originally posted by revolead:

Well?

I'm a student at the Univ of Colorado at Boulder in journalism. I hope to have a meaningless job soon so I have money.

I contemplate taking a job in India :freak:

If only to party again like it was 1999.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I build Music Recording PCs at Hyperspec. These were mostly for song writers and not studios, although I have built dozens of Creamware/RME/Gadget Labs/MIDI Man/Event/Turtle Beach systems for studios. The first 'real' music PC I built featured the Multisound Pinnacle back in 1996-7.

Seeing Yamaha discontinued the SW1000XG (after I just spent the last year recording "Incoming" with it), I may switch Hyperspec over to building guitars and some other music stuff. I have 4-5 other inventions/patents I could throw in the mix. Just don't know where I'm heading right now.

Tell you what, I'm REALLY diggin this music recording thing though. :D Makes me really regret I stopped playing for the last 12 years.

www.dervaj.com (incoming)

www.hyperspec.com (music PCs - hangin on by a thread)

the guitar I am thinking of building....

http://www.hyperspec.com/dervaj/images/photos/screamndemon.gif

"There is no such thing as bad music. Only different"

built wrecks & painted cars for 30 yrs

retired from that

still have a couple of kids to get thru school so i am working for local school district (excellent benefits)

building guitars between shifts & on weekends

dr

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

daddy ray, thats pretty funny. I got cancer from building wrecks and painting cars. Was in a body shop from 1968 till 1990. Worked the frame machine for years. Now I'm thinking about building guitars! :D I built around 10 from scratch so far. Painted around a hundred guitars, and did around a hundred or so repairs.

nice meeting you.

"There is no such thing as bad music. Only different"

Originally posted by Dervaj:

daddy ray, thats pretty funny. I got cancer from building wrecks and painting cars. Was in a body shop from 1968 till 1990. Worked the frame machine for years. Now I'm thinking about building guitars! :D I built around 10 from scratch so far. Painted around a hundred guitars, and did around a hundred or so repairs.

nice meeting you.

i got out of it before it harmed my health

BURNOUT was what got me

nice to meet you as well

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

I'm an Institutional Stock Broker which means my clients are Institutions like Mutual Funds, Pension Funds, Hedge Funds, and Investment Banks. I don't give advice to friends (if I want to keep them!) and all my clients are professionals- no little guys.

I'm pretty close to retiring or doing something else though- probably got another year or two max. The company I was working for closed last October and I started a new job, but my heart is not in it. This was the most exciting and fun job I could have imagined for the first 15 years I did it, but it's a young man's game and I'm a little long in the tooth now....

I'm repairing furniture, building a bit of stuff out of wood, and helping people moving, cleaning, etc. Don't get paid much, but it's better than doing nothing. And they have an Epiphone nylon string at work, so I can sit and play while I don't have anything to do, and that's is quite often. :D I'm at work right now, actually.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Senior systems support analyst (meaning, if something goes wrong with someones computers, they yell at me and I ignore them).

Dervaj, I love that guitar, when is it going on the market!!!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

I'm a full-time musician... been doing it for 15 years now, planning (this year) to release a tribute cd in memory of Roger Troutman of Zapp titled "MASTERS OF THE TALKBOX."

I have my own cd duplication co. and recording studio along with a record label (new) TALKBOX RECORDS.

My day-job is running the technical elements of the theatre building at Gallaudet University.

My "night-job" is working as a feelance sound designer/lighting designer/musician for professional theatres.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I'm in provider network development in the healthcare industry (basically negotiating contracts with doctors, hospitals, etc.) I'm currently working for a company that provides healthcare to prison inmates. I used to work for a national PPO network and I even worked for an HMO at one point (but I repented :D ). I recently had a job in administration with a psychiatric hospital but it was driving me crazy so I had to leave. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Almost 20 years in telecom hardware/software design and management, until Wall Street ruined it for everybody.

Tried to run a small recording studio for a while (still do actually), but couldn't figure out how to find enough clients to keep the amps on.

Now I'm writing firmware for a little company that gives me the creeps while moonlightlighting for a startup, trying to build myself a better job.

Hey, no wonder I have no time to practice guitar!

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

... Trying to make up my mind about law school.

If law is what you are really interested in, my advice would be to go for it. I have regretted not pursuing this when I was first out of school. Since I have been in business the last ten years I really wish I had gotten my JD. Too many kids, not enough time to pursue it now. :mad:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Grumpyoldman:

I'm a Government employee - working a rotating shiftwork job for the last 23 years while trying to fit gigs in around those shifts. Occasionally I lose out on the sleep, but have only missed one set during all those years due to work....

Sounds like your job is similar to mine. HEY, you're an old time neighbor. My hometown is Port Huron. You work for the Canadian Government, and do shiftwork, huh? Do you work for Customs at the bridge? Crossed the ol' Bluewater Bridge many a time heading to ol' Sarnia.

I'd say if you're a picker and played on the Sarnia scene, you probably know Rick Steeves?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Mortgage banking by day in Columbia, MD - not the shyster types who misquote you rates & programs, but the paper pusher who prepares all youre legal documents and funds your loans. I.E. Wage slave! Anybody want to refinance in order to by some more gear? :P All this for a degree in finance... when I thought a degree in music wouldn't pay.

At least I get to rock for the Lord at nights!

www.RedeemTheDay.com

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Well.... this has an easy answer and a hard answer. First the easy answer.

I'm an administrative assistant at an event planning company.

Now the hard answer.

I've been a freelance sound mixer since our arrival in Nashville, 9 years ago. I've worked countless local crews on sound, lighting, staging, and video. I've worked for A/V companies on corporate shows. Mixed bands for a year and a half for Opryland Productions for corporate entertainment. I toured, briefly, with country artist, Lila McCann and later with The Wilkinsons mixing monitors. I accompanied a local alt rock band on an AFE tour of the middle east in 2002 as FOH and monitor mixer, the with a country chick to Guantanamao Bay July 4th of that same year. The company I currently work at as an admin. asst. I've worked for, freelance, for 2 years. I've built sets and props, set them up onsite, worked audio, video and lighting, transported set pieces across the state, dressed backstage and understage green rooms for Tim McGraw's last tour... and on and on and on.

So, being sick and tired of chasing local gigs, all my best contacts have moved on, I'm an admin. asst. I'm part accounting clerk, part secretary, part casting agent, part facilities administrator, part office manager... and I make coffee, too. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I really like my job. I guess I just imagined I'd be in a very different place at this stage of my... career? Of course, it's a far cry from last year at this time, when I'd been unemployed, with few freelance gigs, for several months. Gotta love that. I guess now that I'm on an 8:30am - 5pm schedule I can start playing out again... maybe find a band to join. Anyone need a guitar player? ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey Tedster

Yes I know Rick Steeves, very well actually. Haven't had the pleasure of playing on stage with him yet, though. Rick is still tearing it up here every weekend - awesome player and great guy too.

Not Customs, but the Coast Guard actually, working all the radio traffic on the river system. After 12 hours of radio noise I still like to get out and gig....As if 12 hours with one microphone stuffed in my face wasn't enough..

the Grump

Originally posted by Dervaj:

I build Music Recording PCs at Hyperspec. These were mostly for song writers and not studios, although I have built dozens of Creamware/RME/Gadget Labs/MIDI Man/Event/Turtle Beach systems for studios.

I used to work for Gadget Labs back when they were in business. It was a great job and the people there were exceptional! That's cool to hear that you built systems with their hardware :thu: .

Archived