Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dropkick Murphy's

Compact Diss

Anyone here ever get a chance to listen to them? They are a band out of Boston and I think they are really good. In fact I am addicted to listening to them. Simple power chords, but put together with great lyrics. They are one of those bands to me who are still underground but I feel should be all over Billboard...they are considered "Punk" but I think they are much more than that, it's not just guitars, they use mandolins, bagpipes, a lot of different instruments. Just want to pass the word about them if you have been looking at your CD collection and want to listen to something new...I know I do that about every three weeks... :wave:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Compact Diss:

Clutch, these guys are touring close to me in February...

I haven't seen them live, but I've got two of their CD's. If you like hard rock you'll probably like them. They've got heavy guitars, some rap mixed in with their songs, but mainly just good hard rock! Really cool lyrics too. I'm thinking I might have to make a special trip to Ashville on the 21st....

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• 8 months later...

K...CD, you need a Halloween Handle ! :P

For starters:

"Slipped Diss"?

"Compact Skull"?

"Compacted Skull"?

:wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by Compact Diss:

...they are considered "Punk" but I think they are much more than that, it's not just guitars, they use mandolins, bagpipes, a lot of different instruments. :wave:

Hey CD, check out The Levellers if you like this type of stuff (www.levellers.co.uk), they actually played an acoustic gig in Boston a few years ago (I did a bit of promo stuff for them up here and got a signed photo, cd etc).
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Great guys. And when the local stage crew at one of the outside venues went on strike :

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/5AE62B160A57F29886256A7A0017F4AC

:the Murpys didn't want to cross the picket line to play a festival. But the crew gave them strike T-Shirts which the Murphys wore on stage during their set. They also made a great little speech to the crowd about the need for people to be able to work for a living wage.

Nice guys, and they made a lot of friends among a hard working underpaid group of young people in Pittsburgh.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Great story.

If I'm correct it's the same group(stagehands) featured on the DKM's DVD, a documentary called "Labor Day" about crossing the picket line.

I'm hoping to score some tix to the Red Sox game on Friday so I can see them sing the National Anthem...

They are releasing a new CD of singles, and an acoustic album which should be really good-they have some great songs.

Archived