Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs where guitar is played through Leslie amp...

Beatnik

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe that "Badge" by Cream uses a Leslie on some parts. A lot of SRV, Jimmy Vaughann, and of course, Vaghann Bro's. tunes use a fender Vibratone rotary cab.

One famous "Leslie" tune that actually isn't is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", by the Beatles and guesting Eric Clapton on lead guitar. Evidently Eric and an associate of his (I'll edit his name in, if I find it again) fiddled around with tape-manipulation during mixing to make it sound less "Eric Clapton" and more "Beatles". The resulting warbling, sweeping, phasey sounds have been assumed to be from a Leslie cab for decades by many listeners!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Actually I've read that Hendrix used the Fender Vibratone rather than a Leslie. It's very similar, but has it's own quality. The Vibratone was also what SRV used on "Cold Shot".

A leslie speaker was used by Steve Howe on the Close to the edge album's Siberian Khatru and other songs.

Tesla used a leslie on "Love Song".

Dave Gilmour used one on some Pink Floyd songs.

I'm sure there are a ton of classic examples.

"Do You Feel Like I Do?" - Frampton. He actually uses a Leslie (or maybe a Vibratone?) on several songs, but this is the only one that comes to mine.

Caevan - You are correct about Clapton's track on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." The Abbey Road engineers built a device they called an "Automatic Double Tracker" which was actually more of a tape based flanging device. The story is that after they recorded his part, Clapton said he didn't think it sounded "Beatley enough."

Harrison told him not to worry. They would just run it through the ADT to make it sound "more Beatley."

I got this story out of "The Beatles Recording Sessions" book. It's a great resource.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Badge...the massive break where God comes in with the D based bridge. Knocks me over ever single time. Of course the volume knob on your playback system calls out to you to reach its maximum potential....

Originally posted by dougsthang':

Can't think of the name of the tune

The Smith's "I am the son and the heir...."

The song is "How Soon Is Now?"

I always thought that was an AC30 with the tremelo set on a very deep setting. Is that really a Leslie?

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

I do believe that "Badge" by Cream uses a Leslie on some parts. A lot of SRV, Jimmy Vaughann, and of course, Vaghann Bro's. tunes use a fender Vibratone rotary cab.

One famous "Leslie" tune that actually isn't is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", by the Beatles and guesting Eric Clapton on lead guitar. Evidently Eric and an associate of his (I'll edit his name in, if I find it again) fiddled around with tape-manipulation during mixing to make it sound less "Eric Clapton" and more "Beatles". The resulting warbling, sweeping, phasey sounds have been assumed to be from a Leslie cab for decades by many listeners!

Clapton was not present for the mixing session. The manipulation was done by an assistant engineer live during mixdown.

Originally posted by Mudcat:

I always thought that was an AC30 with the tremelo set on a very deep setting. Is that really a Leslie?

Probably right on that one, sounds more like a deep set tremelo....great sound none the less..
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Probably right on that one, sounds more like a deep set tremelo....great sound none the less..
The first time I heard that song I thought to myself, "Man - I wish I had come up with that guitar part!" Johnny Mars is a master of simplicity (and I mean that in the best way. :thu: )

"Lady Picture Show" by Stone Temple Pilots

and several Zeppelin tunes

I AM GOING TO GET ONE!

after I get my midi guitar rig completed.

I wonder if i put an add in the clasifieds...

"Seeking woman, sexy, brunette, with a Leslie"...

naa, they would probably think it meant lesie.... :D

"There is no such thing as bad music. Only different"

Charlie Hunter's "Natty Dread" has a ton of (what sounds like) his Novax 8 string played through a Leslie. If you're interested in the guitar+Leslie sound, this album is highly recommended.

Even if you're not interested in that sound, I still recommend the album for huge grooves and a very clever arrangements of classic Marley.

Originally posted by Dan M:

Badge...the massive break where God comes in with the D based bridge. Knocks me over ever single time. Of course the volume knob on your playback system calls out to you to reach its maximum potential....

Methinks that part is played by George Harrison, identified as somethin' like L'Angelo Mysterioso on the album jacket. (I assume by "God" you mean Clapton?)

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

On the "Let it Be....Naked" CD you can hear a lovely leslie guitar on "The Long and Winding Road". It's too buried on the Phil Spector mix on the original release to really enjoy it.

Paul

Not to forget the solo on one of the versions of "Let it Be" itself (the single & album versions are different.

Frampton has pretty much always used standard Leslies in his rig. He recently bought a really nice 145 from a good friend of mine in Nashville, guy does great Hammond and Leslie rebuilds.

I like running guitar through my Leslie sometimes...I even ran my Taylor acoustic through it, sounded electric-y on tape the way I EQ'd it. I just plug into the Radio-Phono jack inside my B-3.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Originally posted by B3Nut:

Frampton has pretty much always used standard Leslies in his rig. He recently bought a really nice 145 from a good friend of mine in Nashville, guy does great Hammond and Leslie rebuilds.

I like running guitar through my Leslie sometimes...I even ran my Taylor acoustic through it, sounded electric-y on tape the way I EQ'd it. I just plug into the Radio-Phono jack inside my B-3.

TP

Hey B3Nut, has DeFrancesco replaced Jimmy Smith as the "king"?
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Well...Jimmy Smith is still considered the king of jazz organ, and likely always will be. Joey isn't one to take that title from Smith, since Smith is his #1 mentor and idol.

Both players have deep respect for each other, and respect from Jimmy Smith is the most impossible thing for an organist to earn. FWIW.

That said, Joey D and Tony Monaco are two of the foremost torch-bearers of jazz organ in the new millenium, and IMHO the torch is in very, very good hands indeed. Both men are incredible players and fine gentlemen to boot. I had the pleasure of seeing Tony Monaco live one evening and having pizza with him afterward...kick@$$ player and a helluva nice guy, too.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Originally posted by B3Nut:

Well...Jimmy Smith is still considered the king of jazz organ, and likely always will be. Joey isn't one to take that title from Smith, since Smith is his #1 mentor and idol.

Both players have deep respect for each other, and respect from Jimmy Smith is the most impossible thing for an organist to earn. FWIW.

That said, Joey D and Tony Monaco are two of the foremost torch-bearers of jazz organ in the new millenium, and IMHO the torch is in very, very good hands indeed. Both men are incredible players and fine gentlemen to boot. I had the pleasure of seeing Tony Monaco live one evening and having pizza with him afterward...kick@$$ player and a helluva nice guy, too.

TP

Larry Goldings is superb too.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Archived