Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

string buzz, need to raise 'action'

tdweekly

I have a Jackson RR3 (with double locking tremelo) that has some string 'buzz'. (been this way since day 1)... it seems to be on all strings, on all frets... (happens when letting notes ring out).. this makes me think the action is set too low...

is there an easy way to 'raise' the strings universally? I 'unscrewed' the two screws holding the tremelo down about 1 full turn, and it seemed to help, but i'm not sure this is the best way.... I'm a little hesitant to unscrew it anymore...

it doesn't seem like i have any other choice, there's one screw that 'pinches' the string in and one adjusting the 'length' (located under the string itself)...

any help you have is appreciated...

thanks in advance...

Tim

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chances are, if it wasn't a problem before and it is now, the truss rod needs adjusting. Any wooden neck will change its relief (the "bow") several times a year as humidity and temperature change.

I don't recommend doing this yourself unless you are experienced with guitar setups. Doing it wrong can destroy the neck.

Any competent tech can adjust the rod a few minutes.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Any competent tech can adjust the rod a few minutes.

Yeah and charge $50 in the process.

The Guitar Player Magazine Guide To Guitar Player details the procedure in chapters 2 thru 4. I wish it had been presented more concisely though.

The more guitars you have, the more you NEED to know who to measure and set "relief". I'd be out a grand a year if I brought my inventory for "setup" work. Alot of times they don't know what they're doing anyway. Kind of like a garage mechanic that doesn't use a torque wrench.

;)

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I would check the neck bow (i.e. truss rod adjustment and the string height adjustment in that order and as follows:

1. Truss Rod:

Tune the Guitar to Pitch on all strings and then capo the first fret. On the 6th or low E string,

depress the highest fret ( 21 to 24 depending on the guitar) and slip a .010 inch feeler gauge(i.e. 1o thousandths of an inch) between the top of the eighth fret (which is around the middle of the neck) and the string. If the gap is tight (i.e. less than .010 inch) the neck is too flat (i.e. bowed toward the strings to much which will cause buzzing). To correct this, loosen the truss rod bolt counter-clockwise 1/8 turn at a time. If the gap is too large, the neck is curved away from the strings too much, so correct by turning the truss rod bolt clockwise, 1/8/ turn at a time. Repeat the above procedure from the beginning and remeasure until the gap is about .010 inch. Note: if the truss rod bolt is very hard to turn, it helps to loosen the guitar strings to relief pressure on the neck which will make the truss rod bolt turn easier.

2. String Height Adjustment (No Capo for this adjustment)

After adjusting the Truss Rod in 1. above, tune the guitar to pitch again and with a straight edge ruler, for each string measure the distance

between the top of the highest fret and the bottom of the string. I find that I get a decent low action height with minimal buzzing if the string heights are adjusted as indicated below. However, let your ears and fingers be your guide and listen to the guitar acoustically to get a clear sound with little or no buzzing when not amplified. You are striving to find an optimum height which provides a lower action for ease of playing, but with minimal buzzing:

Strings 1-4 (Hi E thru G): a little over 1/16 inch gap.

Strings 5-6 (A and Low E): about 3/32 inch.

Note that the gap needs to be wider for heavier strings as their vibration path is wider.

It sounds like your guitar does not have individual string height adjustments so you will have to optimize by adjusting your bridge adjustment screws on each side. Try to get the Hi E string to a little over 1/16" and the low E to about 3/32".

The more guitars you have, the more you NEED to know who to measure and set "relief".
Wiser words were never spoken. I spent $3.95 on a set of feeler gauges from an auto parts store and set two guitars last night. Saved me some CASH and my guitars never left my house! Good investment! According to Carvin, a playing card can do the same .010 inch measurement.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

The more guitars you have, the more you NEED to know who to measure and set "relief".
Wiser words were never spoken. I spent $3.95 on a set of feeler gauges from an auto parts store and set two guitars last night. Saved me some CASH and my guitars never left my house! Good investment! According to Carvin, a playing card can do the same .010 inch measurement.
That isn't nearly good enough though. Gibsons for instance require about 0.005 " of relief from the 5th to 7th fret.

Did you buy a nice beveled straight edge? Art stores sell them for about $12 for a 12" or so.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Archived