Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone else coming to NAMM?

Jim Soloway

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless it's in Charlotte, NC I don't think so. :(

Hey Mr. Soloway,

How much does getting frets put on one of your necks and the nut slotted cost per unit? If you don't mind me asking, that is. I'm going to build a guitar body & neck on the cheap, and I'm wondering what getting the neck fretted and the nut slotted is going to cost me. It's going to be of the Silvertone/Danelectro variety, nothing like your works of art. :) Well, it'll be a work of art, just made of much cheaper materials.

Also, what do you think of red oak as fretboard material? It's hard, doesn't require a lot of work to keep it from drying out, and it's cheaper and more available than rosewood or ebony or even maple! The neck itself will be poplar, and the body will be masonite and either MDF or pine. It'll be hollow.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Unless it's in Charlotte, NC I don't think so. :(

Hey Mr. Soloway,

How much does getting frets put on one of your necks and the nut slotted cost per unit? If you don't mind me asking, that is. I'm going to build a guitar body & neck on the cheap, and I'm wondering what getting the neck fretted and the nut slotted is going to cost me. It's going to be of the Silvertone/Danelectro variety, nothing like your works of art. :) Well, it'll be a work of art, just made of much cheaper materials.

Also, what do you think of red oak as fretboard material? It's hard, doesn't require a lot of work to keep it from drying out, and it's cheaper and more available than rosewood or ebony or even maple! The neck itself will be poplar, and the body will be masonite and either MDF or pine. It'll be hollow.

I can't really break it out like that because doing the frets is just a part of building the neck.

Since the fingerboard and fret placement are so important to a guitar, this might be one area where you want to spend just a little extra. If you check with Luthiers merchantile, they have fingerboards that are pre-slotted. THat's probably what I'd do in you position.

Archived