Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How come no one ever told me about...

Mike Gug

How come no one ever told me about Johnny Winters (actually, I heard about him on another thread. So you're off the hook there)?! ;)

I'll be picking up a J Winters CD here soon. First, I need to know which CD rocks hard while still playin blues? Any fans want to toss me some input?

How about the Black Keys!? :thu:

I just stumble onto the Black Keys. 30 second sound files on CDNOW.com has me planning a trip to the store tomorrow. What do you think of them?

And I just discovered Jason and the Scorchers! Come on guys! Give up the good stuff! ;):D What else you got hiding? :D

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try "Second Winter" and the self titled "Johnny Winter". They both rock very hard. Second Winter is the only 3 sided lp I ever saw. I don't know how Johnny talked them into that one. Also, the 1st known recording of Johnny is included on "Al Kooper Mike Bloomfield The lost Concert Tapes" He only does 1 song, but it is amazing. Not bad having Mike Bloomfield play your fills for you either. Winter was signed by Columbia the next day.

DUKBUT

"If you wish to better understand seemingly incomprehensible things, help another to better understand."

Dalai Lama

Back when great lizards roamed the earth, and I was putting down the bass to pick up the guitar, "Johnny Winter And . . . live" was one of my textbooks. I STILL love this album. :cool:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Still Alive And Well.

The opening track, a cover of "Rock Me Baby" is classic balls to the wall Johnny Winter. It doesn't get much better than that.

Johnny was, and is, one of my all time guitar heroes.

For down and dirty blues, you can't beat his cover of "It's My Own Fault"...I think it's off the early "Progressive Blues Experiment" LP.

I kinda lost Johnny for a bit when he started using a phase shifter sometime in the late 70s. The live rendition of "Sweet Papa John" was kinda ruined (IMO) by that phase shifter. He's had problems, like a lot of others, been to drug hell and back, but he's one of the all time greats.

Oh yeah, if you DO buy "Still Alive And Well" and put on "Rock Me Baby"...the volume can't be any lower than 12 on your stereo. Crank that sucker.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Mike,

Ya ever hear of Elmore James? Dust my Broom, Look on Yonder Wall, and I Done Somebody Wrong are classic blues tunes that rock.

Also, anyone that's ever heard me talk about the blues just knows I'm going to mention Howlin' Wolf. No one blows a harp like the Wolf. Goin' Down Slow, Killin' Floor, Little Red Rooster, 300 Pounds of Joy, Built for Comfort. Every one of those are great songs.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Thanks for the info! My bro is comin' down from the hills today. Dumb bastard doesn't play any instruments :freak: , but he's got good taste in music, I guess. We'll hit the used CD store. I'll check some Howlin Wolf and some JW CD's. Lookin forward to this experience! DISCOVERY!

Mikegug

Bluestrat, no never heard of E James. Will check it out though.

P.S. Got a Mystic Blues pedal BTW. You're right, for the money, it beats a Tube Screamer. Even at same price, different sound, but I think I'd go Mystic if I had to choose. :thu:

Mikegug

Archived