Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Someone identify this guitar

batterypowered

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AHAH...from harmony Central

Guild Starfire XII

Price Paid: N/A used

Purchased from: N/A

Bought Used from a Pawn Shop (like picking up a good dog from the pound)

Features: 10

This is the 12 string version of the Starfire 4 made in 1967. It was made in Hoboken NJ. From what I understand thay made about 800 of these and most were made in '66 and '67. It has 2 stock humbuckers and a three-way switch. The bodystyle is like a Gibson ES-335 with a rosewood fingerboard and dot inlays. It has a bound fretboard and a sunburst finish. It has a wooden bridge with adjustments to raise and lower the bridge. The Harp Tailpiece is beautiful amd is chrome to match the pickup covers. It has a volume and tone knob for each pickup (4 knobs total for people keeping score at home), open tuners and a set neck. The neck is about the same width as my Les Paul and that makes it very thin for a 12 string guitar in my opinion.

It has the Guild inlay with the Crown in the headstock (It looks very classy) and the same pickguard that Guild uses on most Starfires.

Sound: 10

The Starfire XII has a rounder sound than most 12 string Ricks that I have played. In my opinion the Rickenbacker 12 string sounds kind of thin (or bright) next to the Starfire 12. I am using it in an Americana band, kind of folk, country, rock, singer-songwriter kind of unit. I play it through a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ amp and I have it set as clean as it will go with just a hint of reverb (set on about 2). I have found that any effects at all on any 12 string electric just muddy it up and screw up the 12 string sound.

Lynn G

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

AHAH...from harmony Central

Guild Starfire XII

Price Paid: N/A used

Purchased from: N/A

Bought Used from a Pawn Shop (like picking up a good dog from the pound)

Features: 10

This is the 12 string version of the Starfire 4 made in 1967. It was made in Hoboken NJ. From what I understand thay made about 800 of these and most were made in '66 and '67. It has 2 stock humbuckers and a three-way switch. The bodystyle is like a Gibson ES-335 with a rosewood fingerboard and dot inlays. It has a bound fretboard and a sunburst finish. It has a wooden bridge with adjustments to raise and lower the bridge. The Harp Tailpiece is beautiful amd is chrome to match the pickup covers. It has a volume and tone knob for each pickup (4 knobs total for people keeping score at home), open tuners and a set neck. The neck is about the same width as my Les Paul and that makes it very thin for a 12 string guitar in my opinion.

It has the Guild inlay with the Crown in the headstock (It looks very classy) and the same pickguard that Guild uses on most Starfires.

Sound: 10

The Starfire XII has a rounder sound than most 12 string Ricks that I have played. In my opinion the Rickenbacker 12 string sounds kind of thin (or bright) next to the Starfire 12. I am using it in an Americana band, kind of folk, country, rock, singer-songwriter kind of unit. I play it through a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ amp and I have it set as clean as it will go with just a hint of reverb (set on about 2). I have found that any effects at all on any 12 string electric just muddy it up and screw up the 12 string sound.

Geezer the pleaser your good! :thu:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Well, a good used "new" one, without the "G"-tailpiece, wouldn't be unreasonably expensive... a better deal than one of the original, "vintage" ones made in the '60s.

Most "vintage" Guild models are more reasonably priced than, say, Gibsons, Fenders, and Gretsches of similar style and year, though.

I did see one just like the one in the pic in a shop a couple of years ago, and the finish was totally "S.R.V.'d"!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived