Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

squier vs. fender?

batterypowered

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

It would seem that patience and regular checking of local music stores (which I'm sure we all do anyway) is key to getting what you want.

That would work if I weren't in an area where there's only one store, and it's pretty dinky. Well, one, plus a pawn shop. And BOTH are overpriced. The music shop is actually better, plus I got a 50-dollar gift certificate there, which on its own is pretty much nothing, but would make a good downpayment. :thu:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Lancer,

IMO, if you're looking to economize, I would go with a Made In Mexico (MIM) Tele instead of a Squier. The MIM manufacturing facility is carefully scrutinized by Fender's American operation in California and the MIM models have many of the same features and materials as the American models.
YES :thu:

MIM is the ONLY way to get a Nashville right now, and (lower) California is very close (geographically) to Mexico.

skipclone1,

Dave,

I hate to throw in a non sequitor, but I could really use some input on this Orville vs. Strat thing. frankly I shouldn`t be looking at either of them but if I don`t do something, from what I`ve seen before they`re both gonna be gone pretty quick.

Is this for another Dave? BTW, aren't Orivlles a GIBSON Les Paul clone, while FENDER Strats are a completely different instrument? :confused:
Dave-

Have a look at the `spotted-small herd of Orvilles` thread. Jeez, I hope there`s not a Dave impostor around...

Different instruments, same store.

Let me know if you want an update.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I went down to the local shoppe today, and sat and played a Squier Affinity tele, then an identical-looking American Standard. In all honesty, I liked the Squier a LOT better. The bridge isn't strings-thru, but that doesn't bother me. It sustained well enough. The pickups weren't at all weaker than the AmStandard, and I like their tone better.

The only gripe I have with the Squier is the frets could use a little bit of filing on the ends, but it could be taken care of in probably ten minutes. The Fender's frets were dressed well, but were a little too jumbo for me, I think. I would've played a Mexi, but here in NB, they only really get Americans, and a ton of Squier. So, at a savings of $1100 CDN, I'm going with the Squier in a few weeks. PLUS, I have a $50 gift certificate, so it makes it even sweeter. The upgrading process will begin.... later, when I have money. :x :thu:

Now for something completely different......

While waiting for the wife I was thumbing thru a MusicinsFriend catalog and saw this:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/511354.jpg

Never saw these before...I liked the older Peavy "Srats" except for the necks...

$179 plus shipping...anyone tried one?

LynnG

Lynn G

and sat and played a Squier Affinity tele, then an identical-looking American Standard. In all honesty, I liked the Squier a LOT better.
Upgrade that bad boy, and you'll have a HELL of a guitar at a SUBSTANTIAL savings! My Squier rocks! Good for you!

The Squier Standard Strat is $199. Isn't the Tele the same? I remember the Tele being a string thru and a couple more upgrades more than the Affinity. Might be worth borrowing $20. ;)

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

The one I looked at, and now I can't remember if it was an Affinity or a Standard, was $299 CDN, plus I have a $50 gift certificate, so it's even cheaper. I already started pricing pickguards and pickups, and deciding what I want. :thu:

I think it's going to be:

-tortoise on black, nothing too crazy

-locking tuners, and a guitar Xtender key

-A middle single coil, tho I'm not sure what kind yet. Possibly a Little '59, or a Strat Lead pickup

And maybe other things, dunno yet.

I'm not sure what that would be in CDN dollars. I was never good at converting the metric system. :mad:

Get to play a whole bunch of these guitars when buying the "one". I got a Squire Bullet "Strat"($99), at Guitar Center. They had about 12 or 13 all sitting together for a visual effect; I guess it worked. Anyway, I went through most of them to find one that played really well. And truthfully, it DOES play really well.

I keep it in my office. I've just got to remember to change the strings at some point :rolleyes: . It's really lightweight, so when my son gets big enough, and he wants to play, I'll bring it home.

MORAL OF THE STORY: (it's about time :rolleyes: ) I wouldn't buy a Fender without playing it first. My experience shows inconsistancy. The good ones are REALLY good though. And flat out beautiful sometimes. I swoon. :love:

Mikegug

$199 is about 260 CDN right now. I'm partial to Squier after a couple of playtests now, too. For people who want to mess with their instruments, I think they're a far better deal than Fender.

I'm leaning towards black with this pickguard now:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Pckgrd/images/SilvBlue.jpg

SUCH DECISIONS!!!! The cosmetic decisions are always the hardest. The playability you can figure out in a matter of minutes. :rolleyes:

And I have to say, I've finally found a way to get the hobby OK'd by my girlfriend. I explained to her what I was doing with the Fender vs. Squier playing at the music store, and my intent, and she like that I took the time to explain it, rather than just go and buy another guitar. And I explained that this was a project guitar, and it would be an ongoing thing, which seemed to please her, since I wouldn't be buying any other guits in the meantime. ;) AND, I'm asking her opinion on all the cosmetic details as I get to them, and she's LOVING it! She loves all the pickguard choices (although she wants me to get aluminum diamond plate :x), and is loving figuring these things out. And hey, we men need all the decorating help we can get, even when it comes to our instruments. :thu:

I've finally found a way to get the hobby OK'd by my girlfriend. I explained to her what I was doing with the Fender vs. Squier playing at the music store, and my intent, and she like that I took the time to explain it, rather than just go and buy another guitar. And I explained that this was a project guitar, and it would be an ongoing thing, which seemed to please her, since I wouldn't be buying any other guits in the meantime. AND, I'm asking her opinion on all the cosmetic details as I get to them, and she's LOVING it! She loves all the pickguard choices (although she wants me to get aluminum diamond plate :x), and is loving figuring these things out. And hey, we men need all the decorating help we can get, even when it comes to our instruments.

There aren't enough "o"'s in smoooth! No wonder I lost so many chicks to Canadian guys ;) . Well, one at least. I'm going to try that with my wife. When I stained my Carvin kit, she enjoyed helping to pick the color. Hmmm :) ...

Let us all know how it goes!

That reminds me, I gotta send Lynn G pics of the Carvin so he can post them.

Mikegug

Originally posted by batterypowered:

I'm leaning towards black with this pickguard now:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Pckgrd/images/SilvBlue.jpg

SUCH DECISIONS!!!! The cosmetic decisions are always the hardest.

You could do what I did. White Tele, black pearloid pickguard, maple neck and fretboard. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

She's leaning towards black pearl on black, I'm kind of agreeing with her, though I'm torn between that and the blue/silver shell. I have time to decide though, so it's ok.

By the way, I'm not really Canadian, I'm originally from Pennsylvania. :thu: (stole the girl from a local guy :x )

Originally posted by batterypowered:

She's leaning towards black pearl on black, I'm kind of agreeing with her, though I'm torn between that and the blue/silver shell. I have time to decide though, so it's ok.

By the way, I'm not really Canadian, I'm originally from Pennsylvania. :thu: (stole the girl from a local guy :x )

You could go with the blue moto on top of lake placid blue. My Strat's done up that way. :thu: Looks :cool:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

bluestrat,

You could do what I did. White Tele, black pearloid pickguard, maple neck and fretboard.

You could go with the blue moto on top of lake placid blue. My Strat's done up that way. Looks

Just how many Fenders DO you have? :D

I'm not sure I understand the second one with the "moto". I must've missed somethin'.

BTW, my idea for my Nashevill Tele (when and if I ever get it) is white, maple fretboard 'n neck with a blue pearloid (after market) pickguard.

Another BTW, PhotoShop is cool for tryin' out color combinations without actually messin' up your axe.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived