Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two heads into one cab

PeteDMeat

Currently, I'm running a Fender tube head. I love the cleans, but overdriving it leaves to be desired. So now I'm considering picking up a Plexi, or a Sovtek for my distortion needs. Here is my only issue. I have one cab right now, wired for 4 ohms mono. I don't want to rewire it stereo. Is there an A/B box for the backside of a cab? Can I run the two heads into one cab in any way?

A thought of mine was actually to run an A/B box, and have one out be to the cab, and the other to a 4ohm dummy load, but I'm concerned about the amount of interference it would recieve, and if it would actually work.

Any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that is exactly what I was describing to friends, random musicians, employees at guitar stores, people on other web forums, exe. Down to the slightest part. Thanks a million! Now, I know how much cash I need to save up!

I'm going to find out more about the Tri-Line-- specifically the buffer-- and see if it will work for me running long cables and way more effects than a sane person should be running. I bought a different Palmer product (the buffered y box) thinking it would be the right kind of buffer for long cable lengths, but apparently not according to Plamer's US distributor (Tech-Star in Nashville) from whom Mercenary gets the Palmer stuff.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I just tested out the Palmer PGA-01 Triline and it works for my needs, the amp switching was seemless noiseless (no pops or clicks). I A/B'ed running 35 feet of cable along with a bunch of effects (two none bypass), first just straight guitar down the long lengths of cable and pedals into the amp, and second through the Palmer which acts as a buffer. Big difference. I didn't compare short length of cable right into amp verses long cables through the buffer (sort of not fair comparision I think) yet but for the purposes the device serves it is really sweet.

One cool feature is that when up first set it up the amp outs are muted and the tuner out is on (it always is on) so when you set up in a small club and you're under time pressure you just set up your gear, double check goes-inta's and goes-outta's then tune the step on the out to the first amp you're using. I've got a few more comparisions I want to make (like Fulltone Octafuzz before and after the buffer, etc) but all that is just for curiosity. For the purposes it serves, the device is right on.

I've not checked out the E-Frog cabinet switcher which works with this but it is nice.

Oh, and PeteDMeat, have you considered a boost pedal that might push the head into over drive in a way that might sound better to you, or a fuzz box or an overdrive or distortion. There are so many different boosts and compressors and pedals that I'd bet you'd be able find one (or two if you end up adding a comp to help get what you're looking for, or three...) without the complicated amp or head switching.

I really think you should pursue that line of thought along with the amp switching idea. You should also consider which way is: most cost effective, easier to tote on stage or to rehearsals, easier to set up with less problems (two amps sometimes end up with grounding issues or internal phase reversal issues which will matter when both amps are up and running), and ultimately going to get the sound you really want.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I'm always down for more pedals :)

The Fender head is a 68 Band Master. I can't get it to naturally distort PERIOD.

I have a fuzz I love (ZVex Fuzz Factory) and an overdrive that does an ok job (Boss OD-1). I just want to be able to push out that Plexi overdrive tone, and I dont know what else I can do.

Archived