Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

questions questions tuner

elferoony

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used:

Pitch pipe - cheap:less than $5.00, never needs batteries, but not very accurate or hip.

Tuning fork in A 440 - cheap:less than $5.00, never needs batteries, can be held: close to pickup, ball end at base of ear canal

Sabine electonic, very early model - mid:less than $40.00, needs batteries, has sweep needle meter and LEDs, super accurate:can set intonation to spot on easily, lasted 10 years before it started getting hard of hearing and couldn't hear above room noise, still have it

Korg GA-30 - mid cheap:less than $20.00, needs batteries, has LCD screen and LEDs, almost as accurate as Sabine, have had it 3 years and still going strong.

Hope this helps

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

Usually, I do it all by ear, and just tune from the low E string. BUT, I don't play with anyone else, and I'm not into exactness and transcription or anything. So, when it matters, I just use a cheapy Fender tuner that my brother got me for Xmas a few years ago. I want to get a BOSS or Korg tuner pedal, but in my current financial state...... NO. ;)

I use the BOSS TU-2 Chromatic tuner. It uses LED's instead of a needle. It will tune guitars or bass, and can be set to tune sharp or flat in standard steps. Costs about $80.00 from the mail order co's.

Karl (Skynfan)

Skynyrd fan forever!

I use a Boss TU-8 which has ideal features for both gigs and for adjusting your guitar.

For dimly lit gigs, it has a sharp and flat LED lights.

For adjusting your guitar's string length/intonation, it has the tuning meter.

The human ear is not precise enough for accurate tuning, particularly when setting the guitar's intonation. To set the intonation, use an electronic tuner and first tune each open note to pitch. Next, one string at a time, play and tune the 12th fret harmonic and then play the fretted note at the 12th fret. If the fretted note plays sharp compared to the harmonic, the string is too short and needs to lengthened by turning its string length adjustment clockwise. If the fretted note plays flat compared to the harmonic, it is too long so make the opposite adjustment.

The Boss also allows you to use it in auto select mode for live gigs where the guitar will read the string you are tuning; or a manual string select override for intonation adjustments. It also allows you to tune to 1/2 step or 1 full step down, which works great for our band as we tune 1/2 step down to more easily accomodate higher range vocals.

I really like my Sabine tuners (I ended up with two, the 1100 and 1500 I think are the model numbers), Like ten years ago I found them more stable than the Korgs I had been using (ten years is a long time though). I'd like to use a Petersons, and if they help me keep a piano's "chimes" in tune (the Sabine can't get a fix on the really high notes on piano).

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by Lancer:

I use a Boss TU-8 which has ideal features for both gigs and for adjusting your guitar.

:thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I've got one of the analog needle-type tuners, but it gets used once in a blue moon. It was $30 when I bought it. I bought a "Guitar for Dummies" book that had a CD with it, and it had a tuning track on the CD. I don't really use that either, so I'm usualy not in the right key, but the guitar is tuned at the right intervals so it's still playable. It's in tune with itself.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived