Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar cords

J J

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a woven-jacketed Quantum, which seems to have held up better than some that I've had in the past. Lifetime warranty, and it wasn't super expensive- I think it cost me less than $25.00 . Yeah, start by looking at the warranty; a lifetime warranty garauntee is only gonna be given by a company that believes its product is gonna hold-up well!

How do you coil them up and store them? That can make a huge difference in their longevity. Lemmee do a search here, I could swear that I figured out and posted a way to describe how to do so without undue stress on the conductors and connections inside once before. The main thing is, you don't want to twist or bend them too much.

Also, try to avoid stepping on them while you're using them, this crushes the wire and layers of insulation and pulls on the connectors.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've used the Horizon "Shrink Wrapped" cables and they are pretty dependable, not too expensive (I think the shrink wrap refers to the Plastic covering over the connectors)

However, still have a gift certificate for the local store and am thinking seriously about springing for a Monster Cable...never had one...and will prob use most of the $50...but what the heck :rolleyes:

LynnG

Lynn G

How do you coil them up and store them?

i usually wrap them up with my hand and my elbow, just wrapping it around and around.

Then i usually just shuve them into a box

Originally posted by J J:

How do you coil them up and store them?

i usually wrap them up with my hand and my elbow, just wrapping it around and around.

Then i usually just shuve them into a box

This will KILL a cable faster than anything. I'll try to describe the correct way to wrap a guitar or mic cable.

1) Hold one end of the cable about an inch or two inside of the connector with one hand.

2) Using your other hand, flip the cable over into the first hand at such a length that you end up with a loose coil. You should be rotating the cable with each flip so that it doesn't kink or get twisted.

This was the FIRST thing I was taught in my audio engineering class lab at Middle TN State University (way too long ago). Wrapping cables between your elbow and hand will short them out faster than just about anything, regardless as to the quality of the cable. Would hate to see you spend $50 on a Monster Cable only to short it out within a few months.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Hey mudcat, that's the way I've always done it. Just because it's the "right way" to do any single conductor wire, water hose, etc.

Looks like the only thing I'm doin' right with the electric guitar. :rolleyes: Must be why my twenty year old cable is still good. :D

This supports my contention (in engineering practices, and I guess other things too) that it's the details that make or kill a good design. The greatest design in the world doesn't mean crap if the tolerances (or whatever) don't allow it to work as designed.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I got a 20' braid-covered one from Sam Ash on sale for like 8 bucks once, and it's lasted for a long long time. Actually, most of mine have lasted for a long, long, time, and I've always bought cheapies. Just getting lucky, I guess.

On a related note, I just found out that you should use right-angle plugs for flush-mount guitars, and straight plugs for the angled, strat-style guitars. I saw pictures of guitars that had cracked after a sticking-out straight plug was jarred a bit too hard. OUCH. :eek:

I use a Planet Waves cord outside of my home, and Klotz cables inside. Planet Waves has a lifetime warranty, just take it back to the shop and they give you a new one.

I can hear the slight difference between the Klotz and the Planet Waves. Not necessarily an improvement, but definitely a difference. They both blow any budget brand cord out of the water, and I still have most of the cords I've bought over the past 20 years.

Go to a shop with your guitar and amp and let your ears decide. There is a difference.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

quote from stanner:

i use radio shack 56" grey coils.

gottum in the 80s thanx to cesar diaz-

and they are still goin strong

Yeah, Man!

I have heard legendary stories about those radio shack grey coiled cords..... Only the old grey ones... Too bad you can't find them any more...

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

I have used Conquest, Horizon and Planet Waves (I think they are the ones with the fabric weave) all with good sucess. I have always "coiled" my cords in the fashion "Mudcat" describes, and get years of life out of them. Anything that turns your cord into a knot will ruin it quick.

Karl (Skynfan)

Skynyrd fan forever!

I don't recommend them because I don't think they're anything special. I've used them for home audio and such, and was not impressed. I think they hype up their product a lot, without delivering very much, especially for the money. I'd rather buy a decently priced cable, and pocket the rest of my money.

Originally posted by batterypowered:

I don't recommend them because I don't think they're anything special. I've used them for home audio and such, and was not impressed. I think they hype up their product a lot, without delivering very much, especially for the money. I'd rather buy a decently priced cable, and pocket the rest of my money.

DING!!! DING!!! DING!!!

We have a winner. :thu:

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by batterypowered:

That does not mean they are a BAD cable....mabye overpriced a little, but if you want quality, you sometimes have to pay for it!

Archived