Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oscar Schmidt

Dawill

I have been gassing for a 335 type guitar for a while now. My wife ordered me a OS from Musicians Friend for christmas. This is the black one that they have been advertising for $149! I was, to say the least, skeptical of what I was in for. I know that good cheapo guitars are possible to find if you look hard enough, but mail order? Probably not.

Well, I received it Christmas morning and I must admit, I'm impressed! After changing strings and a little tweaking, the thing actually plays pretty well. I plugged it into my Pro Junior and got some very useable tones from it.

I don't know how it will hold up, but so far I'm thinking that this is halfway decent. For the money, it' really surprising. I may have just gotten really lucky.

Anyone else have any experience with Oscar Schmidt? They are made by Washburn I think.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Deja Vu dawill."

I forgot about that thread.

I only had about an hour to mess with it yesterday. The action was a little low for my tastes but it has a tune-o-matic style bridge and was easy to adjust. The neck is narrower than most gibson style guitars and not as flat. It feels more like my early '70's strat. With very little relief, there are no dead spots, fret buzzes, etc. It intonates very well. I didn't have to adjust saddles or anything.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

Archived