Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

saddle transducer question

daddy ray

i have a seagull acoustic with a lr baggs saddle transducer pickup

the action is higher than acceptable

i don't want to merely file the saddle itself down to correct this

are the transducer saddles removable in a normal manner so i may rout the slot in the bridge deeper to accomplish a lower action

is any glue used with these saddles

info from anyone with experience in this area will be greatly appreciated

thanks dr

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on the system. If you have a Baggs Ribbon transducer, then it's extremely thin. Adjust the bridge saddle or bridge as if the transducer wasn't there, and it should be fine. I suggest you contact a luthier that works with Baggs product or contact Baggs directly. They will definitely be able to assist you.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by daddy ray:

i have a seagull acoustic with a lr baggs the action is higher than acceptable

are the transducer saddles removable in a normal manner so i may rout the slot in the bridge deeper to accomplish a lower action

is any glue used with these saddles

Routing the slot deeper is usually the way to correct for high action. If it uses the standard Baggs LB6, then you are exactly correct. The saddle and pickup are made as one unit.

Standard procedure:

Make sure the neck has the correct relief, the nut slots are cut properly, and the frets are level. Measure the string height of the 1st and 6th strings above the 12th fret. Determine how much you want the action brought down. Multiply that number by a factor of 2. The resulting number is the amount you want to remove from the bottom of the saddle slot.

Remove the saddle/pickup and rout to depth. It's always better to not take quite enough. Set the guitar back up, but don't connect the electronics yet. Make sure it plays as you need it to, if it doesn't repeat the height measurement and cut again.

You can always use a BRASS shim under the pickup if you cut it too deep...but I think it's better to get it cut just right....

This process applies to all UST styles...I like to see the saddle with at least 60% of the height below the surface of the bridge.

PS: USE NO GLUE!!

Archived