Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinions: Mesa Boogie F-30

Dylan

Im getting ready to upgrade from my Line6 Flextone II Plus to some type of two-channel tube amp. I played an F-30 yesterday and my initial impressions were very favorable. The clean channel was surprising sweet with excellent dynamics. The lead channel is pretty versatile and can get down right nasty at times. Overall the amp is fucking loud as all get up. I would love a 15 watt amp if they made it. I know that a lot of guys swap tubes out which, Id most likely do if I were to get this. One thing I did notice was that the clean channel tended to fart when pushed to hard and when the bass was very present. Could swapping the tubes help? Also, this amp is incredibly heavy for such a small package, but Id be willing to deal with it. Guitar Center is offering a pretty good trade in value for my Line6 setup, so Id only be paying about $375 out of pocket. My limit is $575 + the $425 they are giving me in trade-in, or in other words, a $1000. Are they are any 2-channel amps in this price range with similar features? Im looking to cover most sounds including blues, rock, metal, clean, etc.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well since u want a 15 watt one u'll be glad to know that it's only about 15-20 watts anyway. it only has 2 el84 output tubes. don't forget when u try it out again that there is a bright switch on the clean channel. u have to pull out one of the knobs, but i forget which one. the thing that's happening with the bass might just be because the speaker is not broken in. the stock speaker is a celestion v30 which is a very efficinet speaker. that will make the little combo a lot louder than most other speakers would.

i'm very impressed with the amp overall. i really want one myself.

We've played with this classic rock covers band a few times whose singer plays a Strat through a Boogie F30.

If you need an amp that can cover most of the bases I should think it's ideal. His sound was huge and really thick, I couldn't believe he was using such a small amp! I've seen quite a few reviews that sing its praised too.

It's not the first hand experience you'd probably hoped for but it's a thumbs up from a listeners point of view... :thu:

I have the F-100 head, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. This line of amps sounds great and they are built extremely well. I cannot see any reason for the F-30 to be any different. Well worth the cash. The only thing is that it may take a little while to get to know the amp and extract the tone you want... but when it happens, it is really sweet.

cheers,

strat monk

"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

All right then, I'm going to check out this amp again tomorrow and will most likely walk out of the store with it! I'm so excited to finally own a half-way decent amp with great sound built in that isn't digital. My Line6 has been great and has served me well for live use, but I can't wait to move up to a nice sounding tube amp. FWIW, I put this amp up against some of the Fender Hotrod stuff and it was very clear that the Mesa was a much smoother and more responsive amp. Considering that a Fender HRD cost only $250 less than the Mesa it really isn't that much more of an investment. Especially considering that the Mesa has a much more usuable over drive channel and the reverb is nowhere near as washy or noisy as the HRD.

Well, I went a head and traded up my Line6 for the F30. All I have to say is, wow! The clean channel is the worth the price of admission alone. The overdrive channel is going to take some tweaking, but I really like the versatility of the amp. My only gripe so far is that there is a mild click when switching channels. Otherwise, this amp seems to be built like a rock and should serve me well. Now I just need to get some cool pedals to make up for the lack of effects. First on my list is an analog delay. Im thinking of getting the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. Any thoughts?

Archived