Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If there was one song You could have written?

Teahead

Which one would it be?

I have recently concluded Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen to be the song I envy most. Simply because it is ground breaking music, masquerading as a pop song. A hit with every generation since it's conception, truly timeless music.

What about you? One song you wish you had written...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why, "I Write The Songs (that make the young girls sing)", by alley-cat fickle, unfair cosmic chance penned by Barry Manilow. *SIGH* The woefulness, the hurtful wrongfulnessness and unjustness of it! (*petulent stamp of expensivesley shod fop-foot*) ;):D

Man, that's a hard one to pin down to one song. Prime candidates that flood into my mind are from the Beatles, Bob Marley, Van Marrison, David Bowie, Tom Waits, Miles Davis... all but one are songs, as opposed to instrumentals. (It should be easy to guess which instrumental/by whom I'd pick.) Do I really have to pick just one? Or can I at least do a top-six countdown-to-number-one?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

HAHAHA!!!

Old Time Rock and Roll...the Bob Seger hit (he didn't write it, either, but wishes he had).

I could revel in royalty checks while devoting my remaining years to writing more worthy tunes that no one would listen to.

Seriously, though...a lot. Not for their "hit factor", but their ability to hit a special chord within people. Your "Bohemian" is a good example of a great tune that's both, a hit and hits a special chord (a whole bunch of chords, in fact).

I couldn't list one tune, though. A bunch.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Tossup between Across the Borderline by Ry Cooder and Copperhead Road by Steve Earle. Both are stylistically where I am in my own writing, and damn close to a couple songs I've written way before I ever heard these.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Geenard:

Tossup between Across the Borderline by Ry Cooder and Copperhead Road by Steve Earle. Both are stylistically where I am in my own writing, and damn close to a couple songs I've written way before I ever heard these.

Hey, you know the first song popped in my mind? "My Old Friend The Blues" by Steve Earle. BTW, my friend, I thought of you this week when I penned a song that has a reference to Steve Earle in it. I can't tell the tile yet cuz someone might steal it. ;-) It's rambunctious as hell.

Anyway, the song I mentioned is just a masterpiece. My gosh, that is a great song. Another song he did that floors me is "Valentine's Day." The guy is a genius. Oh yeah, "Copperhead Road," not bad. Isn't that thing a treat! He's got so many!

As far as moola, maybe "Green Green Grass Of Home" that Curly Putman wrote that Tom Jones made into an international smash that apparently made Curly rich.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

happiness is a warm gun.

keep in mind, my answer would change daily. maybe that's why i'm not such a good songwriter myself :freak:

ooooh ooooh thats a good one damm!
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

#1 "Keep on Loving You" from REO Speedwagon

Very close 2nd "You Shook Me All Night Long" from AC/DC

That solo from Gary Richrath still brings tears to my ears and rivets me everytime I hear it, even after the 5000th time. You may write if off as pop-trash, but I love it!!!!

Can you tell in what era I was in high school? :D

Notice I didn't say "when I grew up" because I'm still working on it!

It's really difficult to pick just one song. Bohemian Rhapsody? Hotel California? Johnsburg, Illinois by Tom Waits? Adagio? Air?

I can't pick one. Ten maybe. But not one.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

If I wanted to bath in money I would go for either

Yesterday - The Beatles or

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin

But the song I really wish I would have written would have to be

Heart+Soul - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club or

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles or

Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin

I don't know, that's such a hard question.

p.s. Happiness is a warm gun is such a good song. I love it how they sing it so seriously.

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

If it were an instrumental, I'd say "All Blues" by Miles Davis. O.K., maybe "Linus and Lucy", Vince Guaraldi (and Trio).

Glad to see mention here of Bob Marley, Tom Waits and Cheap Trick! (How's that for an odd- but good- mix?!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Bad To The Bone

That song has been played, and played, and played. I think it's even been used in a diaper commercial. I'm so sick of that song, but the royalties have got to be incredible.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

From a purely economic point of view, I'd take any of the songs on this list: http://www.classicbands.com/mostplayed.html :D

From an artistic point of view: ones that have always hit over the years have been John Prine's "Sam Stone" and "Donald & Lydia"

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Archived