Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mullard 12AX7 NVM on the horizon

myles_rose

Mullard 12AX7 NVM on the horizon

The testing of the GT Mullard 12AX7 recreation has just finished it's first pass. The results are looking great.

As many know, Groove Tubes has many of their own tube designs and offerings. Some of these are tubes like the KT66HP, KT88SV, E34LS (not the same as the JJ E34L ... this is the only 30 watt EL-34 in the world), and the USA 6L6GE.

As some folks know, GT purchased a lot of tooling such as that from the GE Ownesbourough KY plant when it shut down. This was the foundation for the 6L6GE. On the horizon, hopefully to be shown at 2004 Winter NAMM, is the USA GE 6CA7 tube. (There are photos of some of this tooling and operation on my website in the area at http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/gttubes.html

Groove Tubes has some other items in the pipeline, and some of you have heard about the Mullard recreation. Well, the first tests are done, and pretty fantastic. This is the same tooling and design, along with the spring compression fitting over the cathodes (the kept microphics extremely low) of the original Mullard. This assembly was one of the design aspects used in the Mullard, and not in other tubes. This was very complex to accomplish, and will probably be pretty costly in production. These tubes are QUIET, and are the obly new 12AX7/ECC83/7025 tubes that actually meet NOS specs and RCA book specs. There may also be a second GT variant, something of a "super Mullard", that will exceed specs by a wide margin, and be just the ticket for complex front end amps such as channel switchers or complex front end amps such as Bogner, Mesa, etc., or give lots of current to push that signal in your Marshall. If I can get my boss to go for a "Super Variant", these would then be the basis for my SAG-MHG kit also.

In any case, the first test results are in part II of v3.20 of my tube primer. This was just updated and uploaded to my wesite in the usual place. Compare these specs and data to earlier tests of all the current 12AX7s and NOS tubes in part 1 of v3.20.

I'll keep folks informed. If you want to help me push my boss for an original variant and "super" variant also, drop me an email at GT and I will forward this on to him.

At this time I have no release date, no cost info, or much other info.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myles, ya gotta convince him to run a "super" variant of that! It is sorely needed, I would think. I would also think that once the doubtless improvement in performance was known, they would practically sell themselves. Look at how many players are always looking for that preamp or pedal or pickup that will do that for them, and spending money in the search. And how often someone will feel that their amp doesn't sound like it once did, or that their's doesn't sound quite like another of the same model, and nothing seems to recapture that performance.

That mushy front-end feel has got to go!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Passed-Out Presence Under the Tree:

Myles, ya gotta convince him to run a "super" variant of that! It is sorely needed, I would think. I would also think that once the doubtless improvement in performance was known, they would practically sell themselves. Look at how many players are always looking for that preamp or pedal or pickup that will do that for them, and spending money in the search. And how often someone will feel that their amp doesn't sound like it once did, or that their's doesn't sound quite like another of the same model, and nothing seems to recapture that performance.

That mushy front-end feel has got to go!

Passed-Out Presence ............

That "super" tube would do it for sure.

Send me an email to techsupport@groovetubes.com telling that you want this, and I will forward it to Aspen Pittman. He may not want to have to complete production lines.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa:

Thanks for the news Myles, it's great to see GT producing classic tubes back into production.

You are more than welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles 111,

Groove Tubes has some other items in the pipeline, and some of you have heard about the Mullard recreation. Well, the first tests are done, and pretty fantastic. This is the same tooling and design, along with the spring compression fitting over the cathodes (the kept microphics extremely low) of the original Mullard. This assembly was one of the design aspects used in the Mullard, and not in other tubes. This was very complex to accomplish, and will probably be pretty costly in production. These tubes are QUIET, and are the obly new 12AX7/ECC83/7025 tubes that actually meet NOS specs and RCA book specs.
WOW! :eek:

"Sounds" great! :thu:

PLEASE, keep us posted on availability. Can we pre-order? :D

BUT, what's very expensive? $25? $50? More?

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I can say I'd certainly be interested in a super quiet and reliable 12AX7...even at a higher cost. The "super" hifi guitar amp project is coming along(I can't believe its been two years already!!) but one of the obstacles we've encountered has been the lack a GOOD in production 12AX7....all of the ones we've tried have microphonic issues...

We've also tried a couple KT88s as a power tube ...and those were less than satisfactory also. So that's good news about your KT88 also...

Keep after it....

http://www.reimeika.ca/marco/data/gunnm_CG_cover_small.jpgMyles, I sent you that e-mail; let me know if it's satisfactory, and if it's helpful and well-received. (Incidentally, I guess that the anime-source of that pic I included is less 'obscure' than I thought; but, I can provide further info upon request.)

Don't that look like the personification of a mean-@$$3d preamp-tube?!?

(The pointy-helmed, toothsome monstrosity there, looming in behind "Gally").

"!!"-> If anyone else here thinks that a "super variant" high-horsepower version of the aforementioned Mullard 12AX7 tube would be welcome- and worth the effort and cost of production for GT/Aspen Pittman- please e-mail Myles about it, something that he can forward to the boss (who pays dem costs).

Caevan,

If anyone else here thinks that a "super variant" high-horsepower version of the aforementioned Mullard 12AX7 tube would be welcome- and worth the effort and cost of production for GT/Aspen Pittman- please e-mail Myles about it, something that he can forward to the boss (who pays dem costs).
Yes! Me. :wave: I just sent an email to Myles.

Myles, if you think my email could be improved, please reply with comments. I'll be glad to do whatever it takes. "I need it. I want it. I HAVE to have it." :thu:

Dave the Informed, thanks be to almighty Myles. Hail Myles. :cool::thu:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by dave251:

"I can say I'd certainly be interested in a super quiet and reliable 12AX7...even at a higher cost. The "super" hifi guitar amp project is coming along(I can't believe its been two years already!!) but one of the obstacles we've encountered has been the lack a GOOD in production 12AX7....all of the ones we've tried have microphonic issues... "

"We've also tried a couple KT88s as a power tube ...and those were less than satisfactory also. So that's good news about your KT88 also... "

"Keep after it...."

Can I quote you on that, Dave? ;)

Seriously, e-mail that to Myles, and he'll pass it on to Aspen Pittman, the head of Groove tubes/GT Electronics, wouldja? Thanks!

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Myles 111,

Groove Tubes has some other items in the pipeline, and some of you have heard about the Mullard recreation. Well, the first tests are done, and pretty fantastic. This is the same tooling and design, along with the spring compression fitting over the cathodes (the kept microphics extremely low) of the original Mullard. This assembly was one of the design aspects used in the Mullard, and not in other tubes. This was very complex to accomplish, and will probably be pretty costly in production. These tubes are QUIET, and are the obly new 12AX7/ECC83/7025 tubes that actually meet NOS specs and RCA book specs.
WOW! :eek:

"Sounds" great! :thu:

PLEASE, keep us posted on availability. Can we pre-order? :D

BUT, what's very expensive? $25? $50? More?

Dave

Dave,

No pre orders yet... we still are in testing, and over on HC, one of the testers, Tom Dunn has a post going.

He is bringing back the three he has been testing so I can trace them again, and will get three more to replace those this afternoon.

On pricing ... I have NO idea ... you'd have to ask Aspen, and I don't think even he knows yet.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Passed-Out Presence Under the Tree:

http://www.reimeika.ca/marco/data/gunnm_CG_cover_small.jpgMyles, I sent you that e-mail; let me know if it's satisfactory, and if it's helpful and well-received. (Incidentally, I guess that the anime-source of that pic I included is less 'obscure' than I thought; but, I can provide further info upon request.)

Don't that look like the personification of a mean-@$$3d preamp-tube?!?

(The pointy-helmed, toothsome monstrosity there, looming in behind "Gally").

"!!"-> If anyone else here thinks that a "super variant" high-horsepower version of the aforementioned Mullard 12AX7 tube would be welcome- and worth the effort and cost of production for GT/Aspen Pittman- please e-mail Myles about it, something that he can forward to the boss (who pays dem costs).

The email was fine ... I sent it to my boss.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Archived