Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unusual combinations of amps for recording or live applications

strat0124

I saw a friends band not long ago, and he was using a JCM800 50 watt and a Roland Blues Cube. I normally wouldn't think of that as a cool setup, until I heard it. Sounded rich, full, and the chime was dead on. In a word, HUGE.

So I tried out using my Pro Jr with my regular gigging amp, the Fender Deville with 4 tens. Same thing, huge tone. Something about having a smaller wattage tube amp flexing a bit, with the oomph and power of the other filling the rest of the freq spectrum of cool ass guitar tone! Anybody else have an odd combo of two amps?

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't tried it, but, heck, ya know...it's all about being a "mad tone scientist" anyway, and having fun in the "laBOR-atory". Cool idea. One of my former students has an old Magnatone I'd like to latch onto.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Sounds cool! I've heard of combined amp-setups, but I don't have own experiences. For instance, Brian May used 4 Vox AC30's with different effects in them, until he switched one of them to a custom-built Vox, which is now sold as the Vox Brian May. I don't remember what effects he used on the amps, but the sound is great.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

i've had success combining my reverend hellhound and fender twin. the hound growls, the twin chimes.

it's probably the best way to have "presence" in the guitars when recording.

i'm too lazy to carry two amps on a gig. the voodoolabs sparkle drive can sort of get the sound. but it's not as "big" as the real thing.

I just started doing this and it sounds great!

I use a '74 Marshall plexi 50w through a single 12" JBL. Great combination of punch and slice. The only problem is it can get a little too bright, especially on axis with the speaker. I've tried patching the two input channels together but that seems to kill the articulation.

This last weekend at a gig, I took my Pro Jr along as a backup since I don't currently have any replacement tubes for the Marshall. I decided to run them both at the same time and the results floored me. It was the best tone I've ever gotten in 30+ years!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

I've fooled around with putting different effects or preamps into the inputs of two- and three-channeled amps for a similar effect where clean and dirty sounds are mixed parallel to one another; quite often you can get an effect where the harder you play the cleaner it will sound as the dirt "compresses" and the clean has more dynamic headroom. A thick, chewy, round lead-tone, too!

Years ago I saw a guy in Rochester, NY named Kinlaw Nelson playing through a vintage Super Reverb (I can't remember if it was an old 2x10 or a 4x10) and a vintage Deluxe and I believe that he was A/B/Y-ing them. Man, he was pulling some seriously good tones out of'em!

So, Geenard- and anyone else- just how are you splitting the signal from the guitar into two or more amps? Geen', are ya plugging into one input on that DeVille and running another cable between its other input and that of the Pro Jr.?

Just how do some of you split it up and not get impedance loading/mismatch dulling or thinning your guitar's output?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Passed-Out Presence Under the Tree:

I've fooled around with putting different effects or preamps into the inputs of two- and three-channeled amps for a similar effect where clean and dirty sounds are mixed parallel to one another; quite often you can get an effect where the harder you play the cleaner it will sound as the dirt "compresses" and the clean has more dynamic headroom. A thick, chewy, round lead-tone, too!

Years ago I saw a guy in Rochester, NY named Kinlaw Nelson playing through a vintage Super Reverb (I can't remember if it was an old 2x10 or a 4x10) and a vintage Deluxe and I believe that he was A/B/Y-ing them. Man, he was pulling some seriously good tones out of'em!

So, Geenard- and anyone else- just how are you splitting the signal from the guitar into two or more amps? Geen', are ya plugging into one input on that DeVille and running another cable between its other input and that of the Pro Jr.?

Just how do some of you split it up and not get impedance loading/mismatch dulling or thinning your guitar's output?

No I've got one of those A/B splitters. Doesn't affect tone, its straight electrical connections.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

If money were not a major object:

You know how a guitar sometimes sounds cool through little speakers (like a voice box driver)? I would like to have about fifty little speakers setup in all different areas and angles of a room, with a few 12's or 15's for some bottom end.

I would also like to have a series of speakers setup similar to a pipe organ, each with its own amp. Each speaker would handle a certain frequency range. That might take your breath away just strumming a chord.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

Archived