Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The "What The Hell Were They Thinking Making This POS Guitar" thread

Virtual Jim

Reading the Ibanez thread, I was thinking... can we brainstorm and come up with a list of ridiculous or rather weird guitars "respected" manufactures have come up with over the years?

All the Gibson models listed in that thread would fit this thread like a glove, but I've also gotta throw out the Marauder. It's not a bad guitar, but it's definitely out there.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is infact a Fender flying V. THe neck joint on this thing was aboslute crap, I don't really remember if it was a set or bolt on neck. Whatever it was, it was shallow and felt incredibly chinsey. It had no weight to it whatesoever, and for most V's that becomes a wierd feel issue, unless it is something wierd like some of those Washburn Dimebag Explorer type guitars. Anyways, it played like poop, it sounded like poop, and it looked like poop. Fender.......What the hell were you thinking!

There is infact a Fender flying V. THe neck joint on this thing was aboslute crap, I don't really remember if it was a set or bolt on neck. Whatever it was, it was shallow and felt incredibly chinsey. It had no weight to it whatesoever, and for most V's that becomes a wierd feel issue, unless it is something wierd like some of those Washburn Dimebag Explorer type guitars. Anyways, it played like poop, it sounded like poop, and it looked like poop. Fender.......What the hell were you thinking!

There is infact a Fender flying V.
That would be the Fender Katana. Fender also produced a series of humbucker equipped strats and teles with black necks and pearl finishes that were part of the same series. I still see those from time to time.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I rather like the Gibson "Corvus". I'd take it on camping trips, use it for a bottle opener.

How about the Gibson "RD" series? Definitely uttbugly. But, I suppose, lovable in their own way. I saw a guy playing one live last summer, first one I'd seen in years. Kinda brought back some memories...

Oh yeah, there were a couple solidbody Gretsches and Guilds that were, uh...a bit odd.

Picture the time frame though. Generally the late 70s through early 80s. Right when Gibson was seeing all its McCarty-inspired weird-looking "throwouts" from the late 50s become collectors' pieces. So they set out to come up with new "weird designs". Problem was, the new weird designs weren't cool like the Explorer, V, Moderne, etc., they were just weird.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

How about those Gibson Basses that looked like a stick (and I don't mean a "Chapman Stick")? I think that they were supposed to be made out of "Luthite", some kind of glorified compressed particle board crap. They made some guitars outta that garbage, too. Erik/CMDN has one that was actually improved when the body was covered with that diamond-plate steel!

I can't say much for their being a "respected" manufacturere, but those Godawful fugly Depinta guitars like they showcased in one of those "Austin Powers"-movies absolutely offend me! They may well be the ugliest, stupidest, most pathetic guitars I've ever seen! So insulting to my senses that I'd take a guitar that played far worse over one of them any day! Just that retarded-@$$3d headstock with the strings all fanned-out to fit its stupid shape with a buttload of string trees is reason enough to take one and smack its designer hard upside the head with it!!

I also don't see the point in those Vox reissues where they copied everything that sucked about the originals when a better playing version would have been cool. WTF??!!?!!?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

One of the oddest things is what they DIDN'T make. I have always been amazed that Eddie Van Halen took the world by storm in 1978 with a souped up strat that had a humbucker in the rear position. I might be wrong, but I think it wasn't until 1989 that Fender catalogs show a production strat with a humbucker in the rear! Every other manufacturer had been doing it for years. What were they thinking?
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

They made some guitars outta that garbage, too. Erik/CMDN has one that was actually improved when the body was covered with that diamond-plate steel!

Yeah, it's a Gibson Sonex. Fun guitar to own but not fun to play onstage... it weighs a ton with the diamondplate pickguard.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

How about the Danelectro longhorn? The single cut U-2 and the double cut DC-59 aren't all that bad, at least as far as the cosmetics are concerned (it'd be a killer guitar with mini-buckers or a JB jr.) As ugly as it is, it would still be cool to own one (longhorn). :)

http://www.danelectro.com/Gtar_lynlg.jpg

I just had a thought (a first for me! :D ) If you put a couple of SD Scorchers in the longhorn you'd have a great shredder's guitar - 31 frets; 2 octaves and then some!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by CMDN:

They made some guitars outta that garbage, too. Erik/CMDN has one that was actually improved when the body was covered with that diamond-plate steel!

Yeah, it's a Gibson Sonex. Fun guitar to own but not fun to play onstage... it weighs a ton with the diamondplate pickguard.
Why not diamond plate aluminum? That would cut down on the weight a lot.

Is that stuff your Sonex is made of like MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)? I'm thinking of making a Flying V out of some of that stuff and putting some spare humbuckers I've got into it. How does the Sonex sound?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Tedster Claus:

I rather like the Gibson "Corvus". I'd take it on camping trips, use it for a bottle opener...

I wanted a Corvus back in the day. Problem wasn't the "fugliness". It was the heavy-as-sh*t neck. This guitar had to be worn with a strap attached to the neck, at the nut, a-la folk-guitar style. Otherwise, the neck would point straight down the second you let go with your fretting hand. :eek:

The weirdest "normal" guitar shape, IMO, has to go to the 1980's, Gibson Victory models. Sculpted, heavy strat copies. Didn't sound good either.

http://www.zianet.com/UFO_Lowrider/PICS/VIC1.JPG

This is the best pic I could find. It doesn't look so bad from afar, but close up it looked clunky.

I'd have to add the Westone Rail to this thread. Although I think it's kinda ugly, I really wanted a guitar like this one. (To my knowledge, they never made a 6 string version.) The sliding pickup was my reason I desired this axe.

Here's a funny connection... the following picture was borrowed from Bob Gollihur's (esteemed Low Down Lowdown co-moderator) website. I found it using Google's image search.

http://www.doublebass.biz/railsm.jpg

I find many ugly-duckling instruments to be love-hate situations for me. :freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived