Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Little Wing & Fire (Steve Vai Versions)

Leon_

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, in all honesty tell me what you think. We all know that Jimi Hendrix is one of the greatest innovators guitar has ever known. He has great style, great stage presence and awesome chops. However, to be honest, do you think that Stevie Ray Vaughns version of Little Wing is a far better and far more moving guitar piece. I almost weep everytime I hear it played. I am not saying that Jimi is less of a guitar player than Stevie, but I do firmly believe that Stevies version of the song is the best that has been recorded to date. However, I cannot speak for the new Vai version, do yo uguys think it is better than Stevie's version? Or conversely, do you still think that Hendrix's version is still the best ever.

Hello:

Stevie Ray Vaughn's version is great also!! These guitarists (Hendrix, Vai, SRV) all bring different approaches to their instrument. Hendrix's rhythm playing, in my opinion, is more powerful than his soloing abilities...He created such magical chordal structures....Stevie Ray Vaughn's soloing is full of soul and emotion...incredible blues guitarist....Steve Vai is a very unique kinda player....very humorous expressions from his guitar, very fast lines, incredible technique....

Going back to Little Wing...Hendrix's version is the best, because he wrote it & whatever he captured at that moment in time, comes out in his playing...

To me, my fave is jimi's, but second would be EC. Most of you probably never heard it, but its a great version. Its not a copy version either, its one he made his own.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I like the EC version on that Live at Rainbow Bridge album.

I also have an instrumental version by Jimi that is my personal favorite. It's on a compiliation set. Don't know the name of the set, cause I copied the set from the library.. The same CD has an instrumental 'Axis Bold as Love' which is really great.

I'll pick up that Vai DVD. After Christmas, I'll have a years worth of DVD music to watch. They keep on coming out with great stuff.

"Little Wing" is such a great song that I am surprised that you don't hear it covered more often as a "song" and less of a guitar vehicle. I know that a few people have- like Sting- but it's known as a "standard" amongst musicians, but not quite by the public at large.

I do love the original and SRV versions, and would like to hear some of these others mentioned here.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Jim Novak:

SRV'S VERSION IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL.

That is all.

OKOK....I fall on my knees and prostrate myself before you.....sheeeesh.......jsut a dude's opinion that's all. I get the point! (pssst....careful for Novak...he's on a role today)

i dig both jimi and SRV's versions, but not for the same reasons. how can you really compare them?

in jimi you have the un-harnessed creative energy that gave it birth.

in SRV you have total devotion and reverence to jimi. kind of feels like he "finished" what jimi started.

they are both from the heart, they are both way beyond average. it's just not worth a "who's better" thought.

BTW, i haven't heard vai's, but if it's done with respect and reverence, it'll be okay with me.

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

i dig both jimi and SRV's versions, but not for the same reasons. how can you really compare them?

in jimi you have the un-harnessed creative energy that gave it birth.

in SRV you have total devotion and reverence to jimi. kind of feels like he "finished" what jimi started.

CORRECTAMUNDO

they are both from the heart, they are both way beyond average. it's just not worth a "who's better" thought.

BTW, i haven't heard vai's, but if it's done with respect and reverence, it'll be okay with me.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Little Wing is my favourite song, there's just something about it. I've got about a dozen different versions and none are as good as Jimi's, but I'd have to agree that SRV's (and I'm quite unfamiliar with most of his stuff) is one of the best, I like Clapton's too.

Hell, I even like The Corr's version!!!!!

You;re right that the song should be performed more often, rather than the intro and then a long improvised solo...!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

To me, the saddest part (musically, of course) regarding Jimi's demise is that we never heard him recorded well.

Flame me if you must, but I'm not impressed with the overall sound quality of The Jimi Hendrix Experience albums. To me, SRV not only captured the beauty of the music in his emotionally charged and sweet playing, but he was born of a time when sound quality of the average recordings was far better. This isn't a slam on older recordings, per se. I think the Beatles' albums, just for example, sounded fantastic.

Jimi wasn't the only musical genius with mediocre recordings. Although the songs are classic, much of Derek and the Dominoes and Jefferson Airplane, to name a few, had weak overall mixes, IMO.

I wasn't truly a big Jimi fan until I heard SRV's version of Voodoo Chile. Oddly enough, in the midst of Stevie's headiest, alcohol and drug induced days (or daze ;) ) he seemed more focused than Jimi on the same songs. As someone else alluded to, I respect Jimi for the inventiveness. I don't, however, think he was the best player in his style. And I also agree that Jimi's rhythm playing was far better than his soloing. (Of course, most of the hero-worship centers around his identity as a soloist.)

I'll take Stevie's style and sound over Hendrix on almost every song I've ever heard both of them play. But that's not to say I won't enjoy Hendrix if that's what's playing. ;)

Not that this has to do with their guitar playing, but I enjoy listening to each of their voices for completely different reasons.

Just my 2 cents.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Obviously, everyone will have their own opinion as to whose version is best -- largely based on one's setting and frame of mind when they first heard the song. Personally, I think no one can touch the pure emotion achieved by the Clapton and Allman version on Layla album.

What's more important to me, though, is how the solos are constructed and what gives them their feeling and sense of attachment to us as individuals. For example, the Layla version appears to be based on the Aeolian (minor) scale, tweaked by slides and bends that come from something other than a technical approach. I think this is why players like Clapton, Allman, and Hendrix are able to achieve so much greater depth (and musicality) than the "scale" players or shredders. Having said that, I'm anxious to hear the Vai version to see how he interprets what is clearly a classic rock song.

Little Wing is a song and a story. I think that Jimi's version captures both of these facets the best. Yes, SRV did make a good instrumental version, but in my opinion, it is too long. Jimi's vocal version introduces a nice guitar focused intro, then two verses which shifts focus from the guitar to the vocals story, but with sweet sounding and complementary chordal melodies, and then to a nice guitar solo which fades to the ending. Jimi keeps the song interesting, albeit a little short.

One final comment - the chord changes are inventive and great in Little Wing. Jimi came up with these changes, everyone else (including myself) is a copier. This has to count more for Jimi getting the rightful nod for this song in my opinion.

Originally posted by Lancer:

Little Wing is a song and a story. I think that Jimi's version captures both of these facets the best. Yes, SRV did make a good instrumental version, but in my opinion, it is too long. Jimi's vocal version introduces a nice guitar focused intro, then two verses which shifts focus from the guitar to the vocals story, but with sweet sounding and complementary chordal melodies, and then to a nice guitar solo which fades to the ending. Jimi keeps the song interesting, albeit a little short.

One final comment - the chord changes are inventive and great in Little Wing. Jimi came up with these changes, everyone else (including myself) is a copier. This has to count more for Jimi getting the rightful nod for this song in my opinion.

YES YOU ARE CORRECT

SRV Would agree with you.I've heard him say

that same thing.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Grimmer:

I almost weep everytime I hear it played. I am not saying that Jimi is less of a guitar player than Stevie, but I do firmly believe that Stevies version of the song is the best that has been recorded to date.

I guess im the only one to stand behind you on this one Grimmer. I do like the SRV version better. I just like the length and the tone a lot more. Not to say Jimi's didn't kick ass...

I have to say, even though i give SRV all the respect he deserves, he's not even in the same league as Jimi. Jimi is up there and when comes to guitar, no one will ever come near him. Remember that it was 1967(8) when Axis came out and the song is still valid today. Jimis guitar playing, his voice the atmosphere in Little wing just blend into a sonic landscape and I swear i once fell into a trance for 30 secs listening to that song. That was so trippy, better than any drug or alchohol i've ever tried. I forget my self and became a part of this song, this whole new world.

You're all gonna hate me for this but even though SRV is a great guitar player and soloist, sometimes the song is more important than the 15 minute long solo...

ps I think Metallica played Little Wing at some live show, im not sure though.

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

I have the Metallica live rendition of Little Wing, it's not bad, but it is instrumental.

After looking through this again, I have a vague memory of a Steve Vai interview many years ago, one of the tyoe where he is played different songs and asked to comment on them and one of them was SRV's Little Wing and he said something along the lines of how he loves SRV but just feels it is wrong for him or anyone to be covering LW. Maybe I've mixed him up with someone else?!?! I'm old, my memory is going...!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Fret Friction:

oh yea! (since we're on the SRV topic)

Anyone with me on thinking that SRV's version of voodoo child (chile whichever one) kicks ass?

HENDRIX HENDRIX HENDRIX HENDRIX :wave:

Originally posted by kitaristi0:

I have to say, even though i give SRV all the respect he deserves, he's not even in the same league as Jimi...

...You're all gonna hate me for this but even though SRV is a great guitar player and soloist, sometimes the song is more important than the 15 minute long solo...

Sorry. IMO, if you believe your first statement above, then you don't know anything about Stevie. Jimi was a great player and writer, but hardly out of SRV's league. As with so many who died young, Jimi has become legendary when he might otherwise have disappeared into obscurity. We'll never know. But because he did die tragically and young, the myth of Jimi has put him on a pedestal, far beyond even his actual achievements.

I don't hate you for your opinion, but again, if you believe SRV was about 15min. guitar masterbation and Jimi wasn't, you don't know a thing about the man. (either) Some of Stevie's greatest songs are less than 3 minutes with hardly a solo. And yes, others are longer, with extended solos, but I don't remember a song that SRV played rambling solos that failed to lead somewhere. On the contrary, Stevie was fond of changing pickups, gain, and timbre to help define sections of long solos.

I have no doubt that both men were fantastic guitar players, but there's nothing I've heard that puts Jimi above many other great players.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I just don't like Jimi Hendrix that much.

Or, at least what music of his I have actually heard doesn't move me like it does many of you.

I wish it did...

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by Fret Friction:

oh yea! (since we're on the SRV topic)

Anyone with me on thinking that SRV's version of voodoo child (chile whichever one) kicks ass?

Boy, it's about time I get a little love around here. Heheheheh, no seriously, I love Jimi and all, it's just my personal oppinion about this song.

Archived