Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite guitar finish?

revolead

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many finishes, so little time. :confused:

1) Emerald Greenburst on Flamed Maple, ala Les Paul Double Cuts. My CURRENT :D favorite.

2) Any kind of natural to amber finish / burst on a nice figured, darker (than maple) wood, i.e. Koa, etc.

3) The " '59 Burst" of Hamer's, on Flamed Maple

4) Cherry Sun Burst

5) Traditional/Tobacco Burst, on Quilted Maple

My "favorite" wanders back and forth around these. Also 6) Royal Blue on Quilted Maple.

BTW, good thought for a thread. :thu:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

revolead, I presume you're talking electric and that would depend entirely on the wood, if it had a body with great grain I'd put a tung oil on it, or something like it, maybe a stain to bring out the highlights of the grain & clear lacquor or polymer over it. If it were just ok, I'm partial to tobacco sunburst though lately I've seen some other interesting burst coloring on bodie, one a Cherry burst on a mandolin that Gas posted a pic of.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Armstrong:

It has to be the Ric FireGlo!

There's nothing else like it.

This is my first post by the way.

Welcome to the forums! Isn't the fireglo kind of like a natural finish with a red edging that fades to the natural?

I like Fender's custom colors, like Daphne Blue, Surf Green, Sonic Blue, etc. I like natural finishes over nice wood, like Carvin does with the burl Walnut. I also like the vintage yellow over flame maple. The DC400 anniversary model is a killer guitar, so I'd guess that would be my favorite finish. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Welcome to the Forum, Armstrong! Your "Indian Name" would have to be "Jams On Fireglo's" (Hey, it's gotta beat "Dances With Rickenbackers"!)

Well, I love all kinds of 'bursts; let's say either nitrocellulose lacquer on a good 'burst of some kind, or tung oil and Butcher's Wax for au natural. I'm curious about polymerized tung oil varnish, as well. S'posed to be the bee's knees.

For a solid, opaque color, I'm partial to Fender's vintage Custom Colors in nitro-lacquer, especially Candy Apple Red with a maple neck and gold hardware for a '50s style Strat (my "Dream Strat").

Nitro lacquer and tung oil 'n' Butcher's Wax finishes are the ones that really feel the best to me, too.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Armstrong:

It has to be the Ric FireGlo!

There's nothing else like it.

This is my first post by the way.

Yes, welcome to the forum, Armstrong. One small step for a musician, as your Uncle Neil might say... :D

I have a Rick 360-12 in Fireglo.

But my other fave finishes, well, it varies according to the guitar.

I have a Les Paul Standard. I like a natural maple finish for that...which I happen to have.

For big hollow body jazz guitars, nothing beats an exaggerated sunburst, from black to red to orange to yellow...have yet to acquire one of these.

I have a Strat in bright aqua sparkle with a white pearl pickguard. My favorite retro finish.

For other solidbodies (PRS style or otherwise)...I'd say anything that shows off the beauty of the wood.

What I'm really not big on is wild paint jobs...electric zigzags, camo, stuff like you see on, say, an Ibanez shred-o-matic guitar.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

on my stuff that needs paint i go with a simple semi-gloss black

performance is everything

the stuff that has nice wood i do tung oil...once again simple & straight forward

if i'm doing something for a friend that i feel may not maintain the oil finish on a maple neck i'll do a satin lacquer finish to keep it sealed off then give the neck back a 1000 grit polish with a hard wax rub out...feels dry & fast similar to the tung oil

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

Yeah...Welcome Armstrong :wave:

Finishes? I kinda go with Dak

I presume you're talking electric and that would depend entirely on the wood, if it had a body with great grain I'd put a tung oil on it, or something like it, maybe a stain to bring out the highlights of the grain & clear lacquor or polymer over it. If it were just ok, I'm partial to tobacco sunburst though lately I've seen some other interesting burst coloring on bodie, one a Cherry burst on a mandolin
But I'm recently jonesing over that Butterscotch Blonde Tele...... :eek::D:love::rolleyes:

Lynn G

Lynn G

Originally posted by Tedster Claus:

Daddy Ray, you here in KC too? And the list keeps growing...

tedster:

yes i am...howdy neighbor!

have fun now!

Fave Fender Colors:

Solids:

1. Shell Pink (with parchment p/g, coffee-stained pups/knobs and pao ferro or slight-tint maple f/b)

2. Vintage White (with parchment p/g, aged pups/knobs and dark rosewood f/b)

3. Daphne Blue (with w/b/w p/g, slight-tint maple f/b)

Metallics:

4. Ice Blue Metallic (with w/b/w p/g, ebony f/b and matching headstock)

5. Frost Gold (with parchment p/g, figured birdseye maple f/b)

6. Candy Apple Red (with mint green or w/b/w p/g, warm rosewood f/b and matching headstock)

7. Sherwood Green Metallic (with mint green or w/b/w p/g, dark rosewood f/b and matching headstock)

8. Burgundy Mist Metallic (with parchment p/g, pao ferro f/b and matching headstock)

1. all fenders

2. strat only

3. tele and strat only

4. all fenders

5. tele only

6. strat, jazz and jag only

7. strat, jazz and jag only

8. strat, jazz and jag only

is that too specific? :D:rolleyes: um, wheres my meds?! :freak::P:thu:

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by revolead:

Well?

Mine would be some type of a sunburst finish on a flamed or quitled maple top.

Sunburst is a finish, whereas a flamed maple or quilted top isn't. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by daddy ray:

tedster:

Heya...perhaps we can get together at a jam night around here sometime...knock off a couple o' Boulevards or something...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

There's a couple that I've been eyeing up lately.

A 1974 Gretsch with a dark natural wood finish..maybe mahogany ??

The white Studio Les Paul with either crome or gold hardware.

I may look for a fixer upper Les Paul or Gretsch, and put a Gold metal flake finish on it, or if the wood looks nice, a dark natural finish. not sure yet..

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

My first thought was I don't like sunburst. Maybe because it reminds me of my first. Red sunburst (Kay ?) ultra high action and cheesy pickups.

Then Dave th Dude brought up the emerald green sunburst, and I thought ""yeah"". I have seen emerald green and black sunburst that looks sweet!!! on the right guitar.

But my favorite is a natural blonde (can I say that again?)

But some teak guitars I've done up look cool with just teak oil, offset by the brass hardware,black pickups and ebony figerboard, like here

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

Depends on the guitar. For acoustic, I always prefer the "natural" finished top, but make an exception for the Hummingbird. For some reason.

For hollow or semi-hollowed bodies, I tend to steer towards sunburst, tobacco burst, or red. Red mostly in the cases of 335-styled bodies.

For solid bodies, it really varies. For LP's, I prefer the goldtop or black. For strat-styled bodies, I lean to blues or white.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by daddy ray:

tedster:

Heya...perhaps we can get together at a jam night around here sometime...knock off a couple o' Boulevards or something...
sounds good...have to be a weekend...my day job is a nite job

have fun now!

Archived