Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of spammy - but cool tweed champs at a cool price

myles_rose

I have checked out a few Fender Tweed Champ reproductions from a fellow named Ludovic Pierson who is hand building these things.

They are great ... nice workmanship, NOS tubes (even Telefunkens in V1 of the ones I checked), Belton sockets, and all the cool stuff.

His price is darn cheap for the quality of these things ... AlNiCo speaker too.

These things record huge (remember "Layla" ....) and are a great addition to any studio arsenal. They are also great home and practice amps that can be cranked up to wail without the police or landlord being called.

I have more on these in an area of my own website now at:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/tubecellar.html

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy $h!t!!

That's cheap!!

Good warranty, too...

Stated by Mr. Ludovic Pierson:

"If there's ever a problem with the amp, send it back for repair."

"I will stand behind my amps 100% as long as I live."

Now that's truly a "lifetime" warranty!

Say, Myles, how does he get around using those vintage-style "Fender" name-plates on there?

ALSO- Myles, Eric Clapton played through a tweed Champ on the Layla sessions, right? What was the li'l tweed combo that Duane Allman used on those same sessions? A Deluxe, a Harvard, a Princeton, what? Expiring minds want to know!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Holy $h!t!!

That's cheap!!

Good warranty, too...

Stated by Mr. Ludovic Pierson:

"If there's ever a problem with the amp, send it back for repair."

"I will stand behind my amps 100% as long as I live."

Now that's truly a "lifetime" warranty!

Say, Myles, how does he get around using those vintage-style "Fender" name-plates on there?

ALSO- Myles, Eric Clapton played through a tweed Champ on the Layla sessions, right? What was the li'l tweed combo that Duane Allman used on those same sessions? A Deluxe, a Harvard, a Princeton, what? Expiring minds want to know!

Caevan O'Shite .....

On the use of the Fender logo ... I do not know how he does that.

Allman used a tweed deluxe.

That warranty is the same is Mark Baier's at Victoria ... I think Mark was the one that came up with that warranty slogan.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Myles,

Please keep up the "spam" my friend. Everytime you "spam" something it costs me money, but it's worth it!!!! You've never steered me wrong yet. :thu:

That little guy is cute as hell and I bet it's got that 6V6 thing working big time! If he'll ship to Italy I might just buy one.

James ....

They are pretty amazing amps. One night a few Friday nights ago, I was playing one of these and another guy was playing my Ghia, and it was just a blast. These amps are so lively and with the open tweed cab, they are a lot bigger sounding than one would expect. Pierson likes to play them at 9-10 (on the 12 point scale), but I was trying to get him to play more at 8-9 and play with more touch sensitivity in his style. ..... these "kids" (mid 30s or so I think) ... always want to crank things up!

Anyway, the amp is a blast and plays like an amo two or three times the cost without the vintage worries.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Geenard:

Sweet.....good on ya Myles, you KNOW how I love these little firebreathers! :)

Geenard ...........

They are an absolute blast ... and with a large diaphram studio mic, it is just mind boggling what they do.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

He ships to Italy so I went ahead and ordered one with the Vintage look. I should have it in January. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. Thanks Myles!

James ....

I think he actually ships anywhere.

If that amp is the one with the varnished cabinet, I actually checked out that amp for him and played it for a few hours. I think you will find it pretty amazing.

It is a very strong champ.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Cereal:

damn you myles :mad:

why are you showing this to us?

Cereal...........

It was just that they are killer amps, really nicely done, dirt cheap for what you get. I was very impressed on two that I have played.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by Cereal:

damn you myles :mad:

why are you showing this to us?

Cereal...........

It was just that they are killer amps, really nicely done, dirt cheap for what you get. I was very impressed on two that I have played.

'cuse me while i empty my drool cup. this is my dream amp. maybe next year i'll treat myself.... :D

Ludo Pierson, the guy who hand builds these, seems to be a really cool guy. We've already exchanged three or four emails and he's really concerned about getting the right sound for me, within the realm of the Champ spectrum that is. We've discussed sounds/tone and now he's going to hand select the tubes he thinks are best to nail it- sticking with the RCA 6V6 and Telefunken 12AX7, but trying to find the right combination of individual tubes.

This guy seems to really take pride in his work and it should be interesting to see the end result. This is my kind of amp because there's nothing I can screw up- there is only a volume knob!

Cereal, I'd be glad to let you jam with mine and give it a good try out whenever you want...too bad I live so darn far away. I'll give you some feedback when it arrives, but if Myles says they're good- then you know they're good!

Wow. Just Wow.

I'm sure I'm missing the point here a little, but I'd really like to have that amp in a head version(but still styled like an old Fender) to run through a pine 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet at full volume. I just love low watt amps cranked, but I can't see myself playing through an 8" speaker. No reason really, just me.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by reachjkh:

"I'm sure I'm missing the point here a little, but I'd really like to have that amp in a head version...to run through a pine 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet at full volume. I just love low watt amps cranked, but I can't see myself playing through an 8" speaker."

No, you're not missing the point at all. For live playing, unless you mic a little Champ or similar amp with an 8" speaker, and have a good monitor for yourself, it's gonna sound lacking in the low-end to you.

The original point of Leo Fender's was to make an inexpensive little amp for beginners and novices; otherwise, why did he make larger amps?

It just happened to be that, just like with tubes and analog technology being so perfectly suited for electric guitar quite "accidently", those little-speakered tube-amps record extremely well. The manageable volume levels, the size ratio between the speaker and the mic's diaphragm, the "proximity effect" giving an inherent bass-boost when close-micing, all make for a great recording amp for electric guitars.

Obviously there's a lot of other ways to go, but that's a good one.

Your head idea would be nice for live use, and you could still record through a little cab when - and if- you wanted to.

And- I think that a little tiny tweed Champ head and matching cab 'half-pint-stack' would be super cool!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 1 month later...

I have checked out a few Fender Tweed Champ reproductions from a fellow named Ludovic Pierson who is hand building these things.

They are great ... nice workmanship, NOS tubes (even Telefunkens in V1 of the ones I checked), Belton sockets, and all the cool stuff.

These things record huge (remember "Layla" ....) and are a great addition to any studio arsenal. They are also great home and practice amps that can be cranked up to wail without the police or landlord being called.

Dare I say "It's cute"? I don't think Fender ever made them that well. Top flight components. Looks like superb worksmanship.

Are we to assume he might be expanding the line, perhaps make some reverb models? Perhaps some with a bypassable master volume? :} Look out Victoria.

Myles, how come you don't make amps or preamps?

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Dare I say "It's cute"? I don't think Fender ever made them that well. Top flight components. Looks like superb worksmanship.

Are we to assume he might be expanding the line, perhaps make some reverb models? Perhaps some with a bypassable master volume? :} Look out Victoria.

Myles, how come you don't make amps or preamps?

These amps are very impressive. Each one I look at is even nicer than the last.

Ludovic Pierson builds each one of these 100% himself, he trusts nobody to put their hands on them during their construction.

I don't think he has plans to expand to other models, but you may want to ask him on that. I know he loves the Champ, and so many studios love them for recording, his hands are full with one amp model alone.

On why I do not make amps, I went into that a bit in another post where you asked me that ... I think it was that M100 post that somebody started.

By the way, I am in line for one of the Pierson Champs myself, I think I am still about 8 amps down on the list at this point.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

By the way, I am in line for one of the Pierson Champs myself, I think I am still about 8 amps down on the list at this point.[/QB]

I hope it's after mine, due at the end of February ;)

And Myles, you're still signing the certificates that come with these amps I hope?

Originally posted by WaterMan:

By the way, I am in line for one of the Pierson Champs myself, I think I am still about 8 amps down on the list at this point.

I hope it's after mine, due at the end of February ;)

And Myles, you're still signing the certificates that come with these amps I hope?[/QB]

Then I am way behind you, as I am looking at maybe mid March with any luck. But ... I do have one advantage. Ludovic has my GT Single on long term loan, so if I need a Champ he lets me borrow his first one he ever did, which is a cool one too, so in about an hour I can at least get my hands on one for ongoing projects.

Right now I am in the middle of a bunch of work with Nashville folks from MCA Nashville. The Champ and Fender tone are at the foundation of these recordings. I need a Champ at home so can work at night and on weekends, so this is why I have to bite the bullet and get one that will be at my place all the time.

My wife is also always on my case, as I like to compose in the living room. This is one of the few rooms that does not have her decor messed up my me. A Tweed Champ is about the only amp size / color she will tolerate. It is also an amp that plays and distorts at a level as to not have the rest of the house complain.

The family room is already trashed from her point of view. What was our wet bar has the sink covered now, and where the fridge was, the space now has a Pro Reverb and JTM-45 stuck in there:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/z28012404_007.jpg

Upstairs in "her" bedroom:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/images/Deluxes-2.jpg

and you cannot even see the line of amps in the hallway to the master bedroom bathroom in that shot.

In one of my kid's rooms, there are the racks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Just spoke to Ludo and he said he's finished mine and just needs to pop in the 220v transformer. Looks like you'll be testing and inspecting mine next weekend. Yeah Man!

James,

Actually I tested an amp for Ludo this last weekend (while he was setting up my son's DSL).

I have another one scheduled from Ludo this week, during one evening, maybe this evening.

On the last one, I also included 1 year of free Guitar Amplifier Blueprinting support that Ludo paid for as part of the amp delivery to who ever is getting that one. That is explained on the paperwork that went with that amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Teahead:

Good news James, I'll look forward to you treating us to a little sample of that Champ. :freak:

Teahead.......

Actually, in route to one of three bathrooms, there are no amps, so you would be safe.

Upstairs on the way to one bathroom, there is a room of amps. There are two rooms with amps actually upstairs.

My wife does not allow any more amps to come into the house unless one amp leaves. Ludo actually has some of my amps and a lot of my effects. There is an amp in Spokane Washington, and stuff all over the Los Angeles area out on "long term loan". One of my ViPREs, some mics, and my Sovereign is over at the composer of the Lilo and Stitch stuff for Disney, and he is also an L.A. session guy.

Many of my amps can also be borrowed for projects from Center Stage in Burbank or S.I.R. in Hollywood.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Archived