Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orange Amps

batterypowered

Howdy, people. One quick question: Does anyone here play Orange amps? Formerly played Orange amps? Love or despise Orange Amps? (OK, that was three questions) If yes to any of the above, please, give me some thoughts. I've been looking into Orange, recently, and I think I'm convinced, but I thought I'd fish for opinions, anyway.

I've been playing for the past 12 years, and I know pretty much nothing of amps. I've just been plugging away with my little 30W Fender VibroChamp :thu: for all this time, and lately, just using headphones and my computer. I didn't have room to drop another amp in the house, with my limited space, but after moving, I think I'll have a roomier setup.

Cheers!

Ethan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by batterypowered:

Howdy, people. One quick question: Does anyone here play Orange amps? Formerly played Orange amps? Love or despise Orange Amps? (OK, that was three questions) If yes to any of the above, please, give me some thoughts. I've been looking into Orange, recently, and I think I'm convinced, but I thought I'd fish for opinions, anyway.

I've been playing for the past 12 years, and I know pretty much nothing of amps. I've just been plugging away with my little 30W Fender VibroChamp :thu: for all this time, and lately, just using headphones and my computer. I didn't have room to drop another amp in the house, with my limited space, but after moving, I think I'll have a roomier setup.

Cheers!

Ethan

What kind of music do you play may I ask?
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

You know, I was typing that into the original post, and then deleted it for some reason.... I knew I should've left it. I play just about anything, depends on the occasion, and who's over, playing with me. If you really want to pin it down, let's say rock and a little bit of blues. I'm not a live player, as in gigging, but I am getting into recording now, and I'd like to have a decent amp to mic for recording, as opposed to just plugging the guitar into the computer. It just sounds kind of dead. No warm fuzziness.

You know, I was typing that into the original post, and then deleted it for some reason.... I knew I should've left it. I play just about anything, depends on the occasion, and who's over, playing with me. If you really want to pin it down, let's say rock and a little bit of blues. I'm not a live player, as in gigging, but I am getting into recording now, and I'd like to have a decent amp to mic for recording, as opposed to just plugging the guitar into the computer. It just sounds kind of dead. No warm fuzziness.

30watt fender vibrochamp sounds like a nice little amp,what don't you like about it?

I'm not familiar with it,is it an older tube amp?

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Well, I got it when I was 12. Paid 220 bucks for it, along with an '84 Ibanez Roadstar. I think the amp was the better part of that 220. I think it's at least from the 70s. The Roadstar is in the basement, a refinishing project for someday.

And yes, it IS a nice little amp. I think it needs new tubes, and possibly a new speaker, but it's been a long while since I turned it on, so I can't say for sure. It had, and probably still has, some really smooth tone. ....Now you've made me want to go and spend money I don't have on tubes to get it going again. ;>

I just did some digging, and apparently, it's not 30W, it's 15. Even smaller than I thought. Like I said, I don't know too much about amps. AND, I'm seeing my exact model going for 450 dollars in some places. :thu: Who knew? Not that I'd part with it. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

Soooooooo, anyway, how bout those Orange Amps? (C'mon, I just want someone to talk me into buying cool gear) :P

For what it's worth:

Orange AD15-12

When the AD15 model was reviewed in the States, they rated it well above their home-grown brands of similar design. When reviewed in the UK, they liked it so much, they went and bought one. We have even heard of music shop staff that have chosen to go without pay just to get one of their own. Wha...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our price: $ 1,089.00

Over a grand for a 15 watt (like you already have) ? They are cool, long history, started in UK in 1968 about the same time as Marshall got rolling. Kind of a Boutique amp. More info at Orange-Amps

Lynn G

Lynn G

Well, I got it when I was 12. Paid 220 bucks for it, along with an '84 Ibanez Roadstar. I think the amp was the better part of that 220. I think it's at least from the 70s. The Roadstar is in the basement, a refinishing project for someday.

And yes, it IS a nice little amp. I think it needs new tubes, and possibly a new speaker, but it's been a long while since I turned it on, so I can't say for sure. It had, and probably still has, some really smooth tone. ....Now you've made me want to go and spend money I don't have on tubes to get it going again. ;>

I just did some digging, and apparently, it's not 30W, it's 15. Even smaller than I thought. Like I said, I don't know too much about amps. AND, I'm seeing my exact model going for 450 dollars in some places. :thu: Who knew? Not that I'd part with it. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

Soooooooo, anyway, how bout those Orange Amps? (C'mon, I just want someone to talk me into buying cool gear) :P

I know a guy that plays in popular band in town,

bought an orange.He had it for about a week

said it was too thin sounding,not very versatile.

Me I'd re-tube the fender,change the speaker if

bad only.Sounds like you have the perfect recording amp right now.It's hard when you want new.Your just gunna have to find a dealer and go try one on for size.GOOD LUCK! :thu:

Yeah, the AD15 is way up there in price, but they also have the CR15 and CR15R, which you can grab for under 200 bucks. Most of the AD15 I'm seeing are under 800 bucks, as well. The whole reason I started on the Orange craze was that I read a review... somewhere. I think it was 60W for about $500-600 dollars, which seemed pretty reasonable, especially for Orange. From what I've read, they have incredible tone. Never seen a bad comment on one yet.

Not to mention that I play 70s Ovation solidbodies, and EVERYBODY knows that they have to be played through Orange. ;D

For what it's worth:

Orange AD15-12

When the AD15 model was reviewed in the States, they rated it well above their home-grown brands of similar design. When reviewed in the UK, they liked it so much, they went and bought one. We have even heard of music shop staff that have chosen to go without pay just to get one of their own. Wha...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our price: $ 1,089.00

Over a grand for a 15 watt (like you already have) ? They are cool, long history, started in UK in 1968 about the same time as Marshall got rolling. Kind of a Boutique amp. More info at Orange-Amps

Lynn G

Lynn G

I don't know anything about the newer Orange amps.

The older ones from the 60s/70s were comparible in tone to Marshalls of that period.

Built to military spec. like HiWatts. Also had groovy control icons. Very well regarded amps overall.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I don't know anything about the smaller Orange amps, but I had a clone of an Overdrive series Orange amp for a while. Not too bad, but really just a loud, clean amp with a master volume. You could get it to overdrive, but it sounds more like a blackface Fender than a Marshall, IMO. The FAQ control was cool, in that you can dial out a lot of the fuzzy bass tones that the Fenders get when cranked.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Think that say's you live in Canada,ever heard

of Wizard amps?They are made in Canada,heard

good things about them.canadia where is that?

If not Canada never mind.

I had a 100 watt head in the mid 70's, if I recall correctly I burned it up playing a big hall in Amite Louisiana. Pigwrinkle Hall was the name of the place.....no airconditioning. It was a shortlived amp, and a shortlived venue to play at. Sounded cool at the time though....while it lasted. I suspect that reliability was suspect overall, you don't see many used ones about. However you see lots of silver faced Fenders from the same era still alive and kicking.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

If you want to move further into recording-

You should be able to get that Vibro-Champ to be a great recording amp! When close-miced, those little speakers (and the little amp'n'cab) sound bigger than any Orange, Marshall, Mesa, or Howitzer ever did. Partly do to the "proximity effect", where sticking the mic right up close to the speaker emphasises low-end whallop, and partly 'cause that little speaker is closer to the same size as a mic's diaphragm than a 10" or 12" would be. (Frank Zappa thought so, anyways, and I understand he did a little recording...) And, you can really crank that little "giant killer"! (Ask Geenard and Myles about this aspect.)

If you give it a little love, that amp will reward you for home recording. Tubes, caps, etc. will do a lot for it. Go ask Myles Rose on the "Feel free to ask Myles" thread, he'll steer ya. Maybe explain just what you want to get out of it to him.

If the speaker's not damaged, don't change it; or, if you have to, put in another of the same size and general type. They can be reconed, or you could get a new Jensen that's "vintage-y". (New speakers might benefit from a vigorous "breaking in" session, too.) Again, Myles'll steer ya right.

(By the way, if the speaker is marked as being 3.2 ohms, that's actually the resistance; the true impedance is 4 ohms. A strange quirky thing about Champs and their speakers.)

If you need more overdrive or distortion, spend the money that you'd spend on that Orange on a premium boost, overdrive, or distortion pedal of some kind, and make the Champ sweat! They sound incredible when pushed hard by a boost slammin' the input!

A (Groove Tubes) GT Electronics Speaker Emulator, Marhall SE 100, or Palmer Speaker Simulator- all reactive-speaker emulators that can be used with or instead of a "real" speaker- can be a boone for direct recording or using your Vibro Champ slaved into a bigger amp through the Sp. Emu.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

OK OK, you've all talked me into it. The Vibro Champ shall rise again!!!!!! That sounds very diabolical, I know. :P I've been poking around sites checking out some info on the thing, to get a general idea of what I need to do with it, but it's about 800 miles away right now, so there's not too much I can really do.

I've already got a couple distortion pedals: a BOSS DS-1, and an Electro Harmonix Big Muff. I love them both; they have different tones. I need to get an overdrive pedal though, sometimes the disto is a bit too strong, not what I'm looking for.

...and I still want an Orange, but it'll wait til I can find a local dealer, or someone I know, and can spend a long time playing on. (not to mention being able to afford it)

OK OK, you've all talked me into it. The Vibro Champ shall rise again!!!!!! That sounds very diabolical, I know. :P I've been poking around sites checking out some info on the thing, to get a general idea of what I need to do with it, but it's about 800 miles away right now, so there's not too much I can really do.

I've already got a couple distortion pedals: a BOSS DS-1, and an Electro Harmonix Big Muff. I love them both; they have different tones. I need to get an overdrive pedal though, sometimes the disto is a bit too strong, not what I'm looking for.

...and I still want an Orange, but it'll wait til I can find a local dealer, or someone I know, and can spend a long time playing on. (not to mention being able to afford it)

May I suggest a DOD Mystic Blues Overdrive pedal? I love mine. I've also got one of the American EH Big Muff Pi's. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Think that say's you live in Canada,ever heard

of Wizard amps?They are made in Canada,heard

good things about them.canadia where is that?

If not Canada never mind.

yeah wizards are made in B.C. and Batterypowered is located in Newbrunswick. west and east coast respectively. for some reason we don't see Wizards over here on the east coast.

:cry:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

"...for some reason we don't see Wizards over here on the east coast."

That's 'cause they're all off on location in New Zealand, fighting Balrogs and Nazgul and all!

I'm losin' it...

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

"...for some reason we don't see Wizards over here on the east coast."

That's 'cause they're all off on location in New Zealand, fighting Balrogs and Nazgul and all!

I'm losin' it...

Not to mention Orcs and Goblins. And the occasional Cave Troll. I'm so stoked about the "Return of The King" being released this winter. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by bluestrat:

"Not to mention Orcs and Goblins. And the occasional Cave Troll. I'm so stoked about the "Return of The King" being released this winter." :)

Yeah, man! You and me both. I've been waiting since 1976 for these films to be made!

It's gonna be a bummer that it's the end of the trilogy once the movie's over, though. The mark of a good book or film!

-good Smeagol

Darn! The thread's almost over. :(

Personally, I like either Black or White. :D My JC-55 is black and my Randall Tube Pro is white.

Seriously, I had never heard of Orange Amps before. That's what I love about this forum, I lean somethin' new every day! :thu:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

Darn! The thread's almost over. :(

Personally, I like either Black or White. :D My JC-55 is black and my Randall Tube Pro is white.

Seriously, I had never heard of Orange Amps before. That's what I love about this forum, I lean somethin' new every day! :thu:

Dave

Orange amps have really great cosmetics. Orange tolex, and a wheat colored grill cloth. Very classy looking. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Wanna see a classy lookin' amp? Cast yer peepers over this brown-tolexed beauty:

http://www.toneking.com/meteor2_front_650.jpg

That's a Tone King Meteor, the amp that I lust for and long to have. The clean sounds alone are absolutely stellar! Gorgeous, ain't she?

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Orange amps have really great cosmetics. Orange tolex, and a wheat colored grill cloth. Very classy looking. :thu:

Yeah, agreed. It's frickin ORANGE?!?! What's not to like. I listed that as one of the reasons I wanted one to a friend of mine. He agreed. Seriously, though, thanks for the comments, all, and I'll let you know how I make out with the VibroChamp.

Archived