Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Palmer PGA-04 Review- open for questions

James-Italy

Got this a couple of weeks ago, but I was really busy finishing the rought draft of my new song and with other non-guitar related things.

There was some interest from the gang as to how this thing sounds and works and I'm ready to answer any questions. I won't go on and on about how great it is- I'll just tell you it really is GREAT! You've got to use it with an mixer or something because it won't work with headphones, so that's one draw back for some folks.

I've tried recording with it and I think it's really incredible. I can use any of my amps on full-power and it takes it in stride and converts everything to mixer level for easy recording/practising. It allows you to play your Marshall/Fender/Vox/Univalve/VHT( :P )/whatever at full volumes for tube saturation without the need to plug into a cab. Also, with 3 outs that you can use simultaneously (1 balanced/2 unbalanced) and with a direct out to a cab, the possibilities are endless.

If anyone has any specific questions I'll try to answer them. Also, I'd be glad to post samples of styles/sounds that you guys may want. It goes all the way from acoustic cab to clean open cab/Fender to Marshall, and does pretty convincingly to my ears the EVH-type sound and finishes with the Metal stuff. Just tell me what kind of cab/amp you're looking for and with the stuff I've got I should be able to give you a decent sample of what it can do.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll can't play like EVH and never will be able to, but it's still fun sometimes to pretend. :D

As always, try to listen to the sound not the playing. This is with my LP Goldtop (the Wolfgang is down in the studio)>VHT Pitbull>mixer>Sonar. No reverb or any effects or EQ.

PalmerEVH2

PalmerEVH

James.

The sound you're getting in the clips is great. How does it work on "clean" sounds?

I know many pro players have used this tool extensively, Satriani recorded ALL the guitars on his last cd with this... and the sound was also amazing.

Do you have any "dislikes" about it, other than the lack of a headphone jack?

I think it's a rack type device right? Does it require a rack?

How about "controls"... does it have eq, or any other "sound shaping" controls... or just the one thing it does...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

James.

The sound you're getting in the clips is great. How does it work on "clean" sounds?

I know many pro players have used this tool extensively, Satriani recorded ALL the guitars on his last cd with this... and the sound was also amazing.

Do you have any "dislikes" about it, other than the lack of a headphone jack?

I think it's a rack type device right? Does it require a rack?

How about "controls"... does it have eq, or any other "sound shaping" controls... or just the one thing it does...

guitplayer

Thanks Guit. I know I'm no Eddie :P , but it gives you an idea of what it can do in the right hands. I had the VHT's Red channel's gain/volume maxed and the master volume maxed too. This unit is a lot more versatile than those quick clips show. I just figured I'd try to cop sounds someone might be interested in hearing and Timrocker was interested in the EVH type sound. Don't be misled by those clips, this is no one-trick pony, it has lots of possible sounds.

I think on the clean sounds you can probably hear the unit better and how well it simulates. I'll record something clean tomorrow. It's really easy to go from an open cab Fenderish sound to a Marshall-ish tone.

For controls it has a Brown/Lite switch which is similiar to my ears to open/closed cab. There is also a Low (Flat to Deep) and High (Mellow to Bright) knob. When you adjust the sound changes tremendously. There is a Volume for the Speaker Emulator and you can also mix in Full-Range (raw straight amp) with a 6kHz cut switch, this is good for acoustic or metal. The range of sounds is incredible. Obviously, besides the units adjustments- all the amp settings and tunings also impact the end result.

It's a rack unit, but has little rubber feet and I use it on top of the amp or beside for the Univalve. You need to keep the top vents uncovered because all those watts from the amp produces heat, even though I haven't noticed any real warmth from the unit. But then again, my amps are all rated 15-50 watts. The Univalve is the one that peaks the highest though at 60watts!

Like you said, lots of Pros use this unit to record. People like EVH, Satriani, Aerosmith, etc. I'm impressed so far.

There's not anything I don't like about it so far. A headphone jack would be cool, but the unit was designed for Pros not home guys like me, I think. Having 3 outs + out to speaker makes it a perfect unit for "wall of sound" type stuff. I'd highly reccommend this to someone who wants to play their tube amps flat out without disturbing neighbors.

Originally posted by Cereal:

holy shmoleee...those drums are a pretty accurate avh match.

At least something sounds right! :D

Don't get me arrested or anything- that's the Jam with Van Halen from Total Accuracy. I've found their backing tracks to be great to practise with. I bought the VanHalen one more to sing along with than play along with, you can tell why....

Quick idea of some cleanish sounds. Clean (green) channel on the VHT, same amp settings throughout. Recorded ES335, middle pickup, volumes/tone 10>VHT>Palmer>Mixer>Sonar.

Cleanish Sounds

Simulator Volume 0/Straight amp 10:

1. no Hi-cut (for comparison)

2. Hi-cut in

Simulator vol 100% with straight amp vol 50%

Lite setting:

3. Low 0, High 0

4. Low 10, high 0

5. Low 0, High 10

6. Low 10, High 10

Brown setting:

7. Low 0, High 0