Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well I did it....I went ahead and took the PRS PLUNGE!

webe123

A few weeks ago I took my fender 57 reissue stratocaster (US made) to the guitar shop to stop some buzzing that occured. I found out upon inspection by the guitar store owner, that the guitar was soon due for a fret job! It would cost about $150.00 which was not bad at all! But recently I purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio and also really like the sound of it. The only problem was that I wanted only ONE electric guitar onstage, because besides those two, I have a Taylor 312ce accoustic/electric as well as a Fender Roland ready MIDI stratocaster.

So I wanted only one electric guitar because stage space is limited where I play at my church. I started thinking about EITHER a strat OR Les Paul, but was not comfortable with either decision! So I checked around different stores and looked at various models, but kept comming back to a Paul Reed Smith Guitar. I know of their reputation, but that alone did NOT impress me. What really made me think about owning one, was what all of the former and current owners had to say about them. Even people who did not like PRS guitars admitted that they were well made! Just overpriced...which on their new models I will readily agree! But I started looking around on ebay and noticed that there were some beautiful models that had not been nicked or scratched at all! I was especially interested in a model that had P-90 pickups. Why? Because P-90s get a decent in between sound of a strat and a paul. Not perfect, but what is?(they DO get a clearer sound on the low end than a humbucker and not as ear piercing highs on the upper registers! Just waht I am looking for!) Anyway, I found a beautiful PRS Mcarty Model with P-90 pickups and bird inlays in PERFECT CONDITION going for much less that many of the Mcartys I had seen on ebay with nicks and scratches! So I went ahead and put some of my money with the money I made from selling my 57 strat and gibson les paul studio and this is what I am getting!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2578590480&category=33045

MAN AM I EXCITED! I can't WAIT until I can hold her in my hands! First thing I am getting is some jim dunlop straplocks for her! Then a nice WIDE strap. Though they say the Mcartys are not that heavy! Mabye this will be what I have always wanted....mabye not. Who knows? But I really can't lose on this, because if for some reason in the future I decide to sell it and I keep it in great shape as it is now. I can get just about anything else I want! But for now I think I will be pleased with this. It is a drop dead gorgous guitar with the electronics I wanted and built very well. Not a "10" top, but I don't care! For the price, it is a great deal! I am a happy man!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You won't be disappointed. Still have my first Fender strat but wanted to step it up a notch. I narrowed my search down to the McCarty, McC burst, 10 top, birds and a Custom 22, Dark Cherry burst, 10 top, birds but could go no further.... so I took them both home. I started out playing Taylor acoustics. For me the PRS line is the Taylor of electric's.

Originally posted by revolead:

Cool guit. Even I who am not a PRS fan, as you said, can appreciate a good guitar when I see one.

Thanks dude! Comming from you that means a lot! I probably would not have been able to afford it if it were not for ebay though! If I tried to walk into a store and buy it, they would want an arm and a leg for it!! That is why I haven't bought one up until now! I just couldn't afford the tags at the walk in guitar stores!

Originally posted by Jedro:

Looks like you're gonna get a good git. Treat 'er right!

Yeah that IS one thing about a PRS....you have to treat them well, if you want them to look well. Not like a strat that you can just fling around! This is more like a lady that you have to respect! But keeping it in it's case and taking proper care of it, I don't see why it should not last!

Awesome!!

That is one beautiful guitar, webe!

Pretty much what I would look for in a double-cut PRS. I believe those come stock with Seymour Duncan soapbars of one kind or another; they oughtta sound great! Nice lookin' rosewood fretboard, too. And, "not a ten-top"? That's some really pretty Michigan maple there!

When I bought my Les Paul, I could have gotten a PRS McCarty like that, but with 'buckers, for not much more. But I had always wanted a cherry sunburst vintage-y LP, since I first got interested in playing, so... I probably should have gotten the McCarty, it was a real good one, and at the time if I had scrimped by a little more I could have afforded them both. Oh, well, I'll satisfy that remiss vicariously through your score!

I can only imagine that you'll be very happy together. Let me take the oportunity to recommend some DR "Pure Blues" pure nickel-wrap on round-core .010's or .011's... O.K., I know I sound like a salesman, but they really, really do bring out the best of "Paulish" axes. I won't put anything less on mine!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Awesome!!

That is one beautiful guitar, webe!

Pretty much what I would look for in a double-cut PRS. I believe those come stock with Seymour Duncan soapbars of one kind or another; they oughtta sound great! Nice lookin' rosewood fretboard, too. And, "not a ten-top"? That's some really pretty Michigan maple there!

When I bought my Les Paul, I could have gotten a PRS McCarty like that, but with 'buckers, for not much more. But I had always wanted a cherry sunburst vintage-y LP, since I first got interested in playing, so... I probably should have gotten the McCarty, it was a real good one, and at the time if I had scrimped by a little more I could have afforded them both. Oh, well, I'll satisfy that remiss vicariously through your score!

I can only imagine that you'll be very happy together. Let me take the oportunity to recommend some DR "Pure Blues" pure nickel-wrap on round-core .010's or .011's... O.K., I know I sound like a salesman, but they really, really do bring out the best of "Paulish" axes. I won't put anything less on mine!

Thanks for the string suggestion! By the way, how do the PRS brand strings sound? Are they just average ? I have never played any is why I ask.....by the way, They come standard with 9s on them. So I may keep 9s on there for now, whatever brand I use.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

McCarty + p90 = good thing! congrats dude. hope you have a happy time together. :D

Hey MAN! I was thinking of YOU when I decided to get a guitar with P-90s! I remembered how you said you loved your Godin Lg SP 90 and how you said the P-90s sang in other threads! So I guess you had a part in my decision making! Thanks!

There are PRS strings? I didn't know that!

What string gauges were you using on that Strat? The PRS is shorter in nominal scale length by about half an inch, so if you were running .010"s on the Strat, for example, .010"s will feel a little looser and lighter on the PRS.

Whatever you were used to on the Strat, try one set higher on the PRS, and I'll bet you'll get to love 'em. (Especially if you try the DR "Pure Blues"- they've got a subtle improvement in flexibility, I think due to that round core wire. Just ask Daklander ("Cardigans"), James_Italy, and Teahead!)

Yeah, soapbars are a beautiful thing!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

awe man..(blush, blush) :cry: i do believe you will be very happy. a friend of mine had a custom 24 and sold it after he aquired his McCarty. i must say i liked his custom but i love his McCarty! i can only imagine how yours will sing with the p90's. there are a lot of p90 lovers here. i am very happy for you! Merry Christmas! let us know all the details when you get it and plug it in.

"What string gauges were you using on that Strat?"

Yes PRS DOES make strings, haven't seen them in a store though. Might ask my PRS dealer about them and see if he carries them. I WAS using fender bullet 9s on the strat. (I like a lighter gauge string.) I also used 9s on my les paul! But I may see what the soapbar mcarty sounds like with 10s. I guess I will just wait and see.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

awe man..(blush, blush) :cry: i do believe you will be very happy. a friend of mine had a custom 24 and sold it after he aquired his McCarty. i must say i liked his custom but i love his McCarty! i can only imagine how yours will sing with the p90's. there are a lot of p90 lovers here. i am very happy for you! Merry Christmas! let us know all the details when you get it and plug it in.

Will do!

Amendment to my previous statement:

I know I was one of the primary bashers of the PRS, because to me its used too much as a status symbol. But trust me, I think they're great guitars anyway, and its cool that you got one to PLAY. The beef I've got with the line in general is just the fact that nu-metal and pop rock bands seem to sell out, forget the started on a Squier, and then induldge themselves with some of the finest guitars in the world.

There's nothing wrong with buying good gear when you can afford it, but a PRS through a Mesa 150-watt head is just getting synonomous with crappy music.

Anyway, still like the guitar.

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revolead:

Amendment to my previous statement:

I know I was one of the primary bashers of the PRS, because to me its used too much as a status symbol. But trust me, I think they're great guitars anyway, and its cool that you got one to PLAY. The beef I've got with the line in general is just the fact that nu-metal and pop rock bands seem to sell out, forget the started on a Squier, and then induldge themselves with some of the finest guitars in the world.

There's nothing wrong with buying good gear when you can afford it, but a PRS through a Mesa 150-watt head is just getting synonomous with crappy music.

Anyway, still like the guitar.

Yeah, I can see what you are saying! People who buy a PRS, turn an amp up on 10 and play so loud hoping no one will hear their mistakes, are very insecure about their playing to begin with! Not to mention lazy in my opinion when it comes to actually LEARNING music! To me, if you can't play decently CLEAN, then you need to do that before EVER hitting a distortion pedal! Now...that said, if you can play decently clean and then put distortion on top of it....THEN you have a good sound!

No offense taken at your earlier statements. I really see what you are saying about people who buy a PRS guitar and forget where they came from! Hopefully, that won't happen to me! I still remember all the wheeling and dealing I did at music stores to get my other gear and I try to remember what it was like to start out with a $120.00 electric guitar and no amp! (that was me!) I am just excited that I have my first top notch PRS guitar to try out, but I still love the fender 57 reissue sound and the Gibson Les Paul Studio sound, I just needed one guitar onstage to do a decent job of getting near what I could do with the other two so I don't have to switch guitars, only flick a switch!

Archived